Tuesday, December 14, 2021

The Likeness - Tana French


I don’t think I’ve ever reacted to a crime novel before the way that I reacted to Tana French’s The Likeness (the second book in the author’s Dublin Murder Squad series). Almost from the beginning of the book, I found its basic premise to be implausible, if not impossible. There was simply no way that I could ever convince myself that an undercover cop could investigate a murder by moving into the victim’s home — especially when the home’s other four residents knew the victim so intimately — and pretending to be that dead woman. After two false starts during which I frustrated myself for a month, I finally put the book aside at page 140 for almost three months before finally picking it up again. And that’s when something funny happened. About a dozen pages later, I realized that French had finally quit trying to convince me that  such an investigation really could happen, and was ready to tell me the rest of the story. That shift in emphasis let me finally suspend my disbelief long enough to lose myself in The Likeness for the first time. Now what I find most unbelievable is how much I ended up loving this novel and its characters…all of them.  


Detective Cassie Maddox thought she was forever finished with murder investigations after what happened to her on her last one. But now, just six months after leaving the squad, Cassie has been called to the scene of a murder by her boyfriend Detective Sam O’Neill, who is still a member of the Murder Squad. When Cassie looks down at the dead woman, she immediately knows why Sam called her there: the victim could be Cassie’s identical twin. 


And that gives Frank Mackey, Cassies former undercover boss, an idea: What if they pretend that the victim somehow survived long enough to make it to the hospital? What if a few days later, the “dead girl” comes home to live with the people she lives with and claims that she doesn’t remember a thing about the incident that nearly killed her? What if the other four people living in the house fall for the charade long enough for Cassie and Frank to figure out which one of the four murdered the dead woman? And what if they don’t?


Even Cassie and Frank are a bit surprised when she seems to have successfully passed herself off as the dead Lexie. But they know that it will take only one little slip, one oddity out of character with the real Lexie, to expose Cassie to whomever killed Lexie. But instead of being overwhelmed by the precariousness of her situation, Cassie reacts in a way no one could have foreseen. She finds herself enjoying the lifestyle and the people she’s living with so much that she begins to protect some of their secrets from her boss. What could possibly go wrong now?


Bottom Line: The best thing about a Tana French novel is the characters she creates. French does not write short books (this one is 466 pages long), and that gives her the time needed to create very real, if often eccentric, characters. The reader is given all the time needed to learn not only the basics about each character, but all the little things about them that make them individuals: their petty rivalries and jealousies, their pasts, their fears, their hopes for the future, and where all the scars are hidden. I only reluctantly climbed into their world this time around, but I’m very happy that I made it. Don’t make the mistake I almost made by giving up on The Likeness too soon. Keep turning those pages. 


Tana French


18 comments:

  1. Yeah sometimes I find myself slogging through a novel I don't like but then I become interested in it late towards the end. Hmm. This always surprises me. I'm one of those readers who hate to DNF a book I've chosen ... I often struggle on. And sometimes it's worth it. Like it was for you and this French mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I gave up on the book for a second time, I had reached page 140. I've never gone that far into a book before quitting on it, and it's to French's credit that I picked it up for a third try. Then, for some reason, it just took off for me from about page 150, and I quickly read the last 300 pages of the book.

      Delete
  2. How about that!!! I fear after all those pages i would have given up but love that you were rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I felt kind of invested in the book by the point I reached page 140 and put it aside. It took me several weeks to pick it up again, but I'm glad I finally did.

      Delete
  3. I get what you're saying about the basic premise being implausible. It's been a while since I read this book, so I don't remember my first reaction. I just remember being drawn into the book and wanting to know what was going to happen next. Glad you kept going with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the plot started moving forward, I was really turning the pages, Susan. Probably read the last 326 pages in half the time it took me to read the first 140.

      Delete
  4. Great review of an initially difficult book. If you continue reading French, you are going to meet Frank Mackey again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping Frank Mackey would show up again. He's the kind of reckless but dedicated cop that can make things happen. Good to know that he'll be back.

      Delete
  5. Great review, Sam. I struggled with disbelief initially with this book, but I hung in there and ended up loving the book. Tana French is so good with building characters that you want to see again, but she doesn't drive them into the ground by using the same characters in all the books. I love series but maybe that is why I abandon some of them so early even though I like the characters and the writing. (Or maybe there are just too many books and series to keep up with.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to suspend my disbelief to the point it's required of me to enjoy a good story, but this one just got to me at the beginning. I think it was because French spent so many pages on the set-up during which she tried to sell the whole premise of an "identical" cop taking the place of a murder victim. The set-up was just too long for me...and nothing much could happen until she moved on from there.

      Delete
  6. I'll put this into my reading plans for 2022. Not that I have an actual written plan as such, it's more of a mental plan. LOL But she certainly is a class act as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear what you think of it, Cath. I'm most definitely a Tana French fan even though I've only now read three of her novels. I plan to keep reading them during 2022, and as long as she keep writing them. (It's been a while since we've had a new one from her, I think.)

      Delete
  7. I almost missed this post Sam - how dreadful that would have been:) I've only read Oh, William (which will also be on my tops list). (3): The Likeness, Music of Bees and Klara and the Sun are on my TBR-2022 list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right...you don't want that to happen. ;-)

      I'll look forward to hearing what you think of the other three books you have on next year's TBR, too. Sounds as if we have a similar reading taste.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sam I have been hearing so much about Tana French and your review makes me feel this is the book I should start with. The plot I agree is implausible but as you say if we can put that aside it is an interesting story. Who are these roommates because one of them killed Lexie and they all have secrets. In 2022 I will give this novel a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it is well worth the effort. I really do believe that when French quit herself worrying so much about the basic premise, it started to work. That way the reader could quit fighting the absurdity of the plot, and just get into the story itself. Using 140 pages to set up a book is asking a lot from the reader...but like I say, it all turns out to be a very good read in the end.

      Delete
  9. I read this one for my book club. The thing that initially turned me off is that for years I've had an idea for a book about a detective who discovers a body that looks just like him. I can throw that idea in the trash now. Lol. She did take it in a direction I never would have considered though. It was definitely an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh...looks like she beat you to that plot. But I'll bet you could give it a twist or two that would make it unique. I remember a similar plot about a guy who was doing a bit of time-traveling into the future when he stumbled upon his own dead body not too far in his future. He spent the rest of the novel trying to solve his own murder before the calendar ticked over to that page. It was an OK novel based on a really good plot, just not well-executed.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.