Monday, December 13, 2021

The Third Time Really Was the Charm with Tana French's The Likeness


Over the past several days, I've had a nice surprise about Tana French's The Likeness, a novel I very nearly decided to abandon for good at the 140-page mark because I found the basic premise of the book to be too absurd to take even remotely seriously. The only thing that kept me from giving up on The Likeness was that I had so thoroughly enjoyed both French's 2020 standalone, The Searcher, and her first Dublin Murder Squad novel, In the Woods. I was so excited about having finally discovered Tana French for myself that my reaction to The Likeness (the second Dublin Murder Squad book) really surprised me.

The novel's basic premise is this: Five highly educated young people live together in a remote house that they are in the process of restoring, three men and two women. After one of the women is stabbed to death in a ruined cottage near the house, the police immediately notice that one of their own is almost the identical twin of the dead girl. So they pretend that the stabbed girl somehow survived the attempt to kill her, and replace her with the cop. 

And that's what I found absurd. These five people were a self-contained unit that spent almost twenty-four hours a day together, and they intimately knew everyone else's little quirks and eccentricities. There is simply no way the cop would be able to pull this off...but she does. Then, to make it even worse, nothing much seemed to be happening for the first 140 pages, and I set the book aside twice for days at a time (I first started reading the book in August) because I couldn't connect with the story. 

Even then, I kind of knew that I wasn't ready yet to give up on a Tana French novel, and with a little encouragement via some of the comments recently made here on Book Chase, I decided to give the book one more shot. And it worked. Only ten or so pages deeper into the book, French finally stops focusing on only the cop's efforts to pass herself off as the dead girl, and begins to move the story forward. She develops the main characters, makes them human, and even manages to do that with the quirky side-characters. 

Suddenly, I was finding it hard to put down The Likeness instead of finding it so difficult to keep turning its pages. I found myself more than willing to suspend my early disbelief of the plot and I'm now totally caught up by the story and characters. I'm down to the last 70 or so pages of this 466-page novel, and I can't wait to see how it all ends. 

I'm fairly quick to permanently abandon books these days, figuring that there are only so many reading-days still ahead of me, and that there is no reason to waste any of those days on books I don't enjoy or learn something useful from. So giving a book three tries is a first for me, and I'm really happy that I did it. Many thanks to the commenters who encouraged me to give it another go.

12 comments:

  1. Well done! I've not returned to that one after only one go five or six years ago. I enjoyed those same two books of hers that you did so maybe it's time for me to try again with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can stick with it long enough...to around page 150, or so...it really does take off, Cath. At least it worked that way for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you stuck with this book. I agree with you about the premise and that it was hard to get into at first, but I had read enough Tana French books previous to this one to have faith in her ability to spin a story and ultimately, that faith was rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll no not to give up on one of hers again, Dorothy. I can't wait now to see what the third book in the Dublin Murder Squad is all about.

      Delete
  3. Glad you didn't give up on this one! Tana French is a good writer...once she gets to the point of the story. And she crafts some good characters. Which of her books do you think you'll read next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her characters are fantastic, Lark. Best part of her novels, in my estimation.

      Delete
  4. One of the the things I love about French is the way secondary characters take on the next book in a starring role. The usual suspects are there, but in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right...I'm curious to see how the third book in the series is set up now. Luckily, I have a copy and can get started on it early January or so.

      Delete
  5. I'm hoping to read this sometime next year and will keep your experience in mind. The scenario of an identical-looking cop replacing a murdered woman sounds ridiculous, but I know French has talent. Glad your patience paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, JoAnn, when French quit trying to sell the idea that the plot was plausible, it all started to work. That allowed her to develop the characters and FINALLY move the plot forward. It takes some patience but it's more than worth it in the end.

      Delete
  6. I have a hard time giving up on books, I have to really dislike the book for some reason. And consequently I have read a few long books that seemed ho hum a good ways through, but then turned around and grabbed me once I got over halfway through. Some, like The Moviegoer, had me wondering why I continued reading almost the whole book, then the ending pulled it off for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't have the patience - or the time to waste - that I used to have, Tracy. If I know the author's work, I do tend to read longer before giving up, though, and that's what made me try this one three times.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.