Saturday, November 20, 2021

The Religious Body - Catherine Aird


Catherine Aird was the pen name used by Kinn Hamilton McIntosh to publish her twenty-eight-book Inspector Sloan series, a series comprised of twenty-seven novels and one short story compilation featuring the inspector. The Religious Body, published in 1966, was both Aird’s debut novel and the first book in the series. Aird, who is now 91 years old, last added to the series in 2019 with Inheritance Tracks. 


Aird begins her story with the discovery of a literal “religious body” found inside the Convent of St. Anselm after it is learned early one morning that a nun’s small cell/bedroom is empty. Believing at first that the missing nun has made her way to the convent’s sick bay on her own, it is only later in the morning that the resident nuns begin to search for the missing Sister Anne. When they find her dead body at the base of the cellar stairs, the Reverend Mother knows that, as much as she wishes it were not so, she is going to have to call the police — and worse yet, she is going to have to let them inside the convent.


That’s where Inspector C.D. Sloan of the Calleshire CID learns that he has more than fifty potential suspects, and that most of those are nuns. That’s bad enough, but later when the all-boys agricultural school next door to the convent burns a guy dressed as a nun on Guy Fawkes night, Sloan and his team have to add another few dozen potential suspects to what is already proving to be an overwhelming list.


The Religious Body is a bit of a cross between a cozy and a police procedural, with the emphasis being on cozy. People do die, but they do so behind the curtain, and even after the bodies are discovered, the reader is largely sheltered from any detail about the murders themselves that would ever be considered offensive or shocking to modern-day readers. What I find most appealing about The Religious Body is the author’s rather subtle sense of humor — a style reflected both in the title of the book and in the little asides peppered throughout the narrative that Aird uses to add funny, but meaningful, insights into the make-up of key characters. 


Bottom Line: If The Religious Body is any indication, fans of cozy mysteries are going to enjoy the Inspector Sloan series a lot. Keeping in mind that the series was produced over the course of five decades, it is, of course, possible that the tone of the books changed over time. Because I’m a fan of more realistic mysteries that don’t so obviously pull their punches, it is unlikely that I will explore the series any further but if you like a good cozy, this is definitely an author — and a series — you need to consider.


Catherine Aird

10 comments:

  1. I used to read a lot of cozies - not so much any more. I had not heard of this series and it's been going for fifty years. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from this first book in the series, I can easily see why fans of the cozy genre love the books. Aird is a very good writer...and she's funny.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy a cozy mystery once in awhile, though usually one or two books in a cozy series is enough for me, and then I'm ready to move on to something a little more suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that they don't feel quite real to me, Lark. Kind of like watching a stage play instead of a movie or reading a book...just never the same in way that I react to them.

      Delete
  3. WOW - sounds like an amazing lady (reminding me of Betty White who just celebrated 100.) I like the sound of this Sam as I've long been fascinated with stories about nuns, priests, monks etc....something abut that cloistered life was always appealing in some ways - of course, I dreamed of never having to work and just uninterrupted reading ...LOL Of course, I realized my flawed logic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the most interesting aspect of the story to me, Diane. This particular order took vows of silence and lived a very regimented life by the clock. The relationships between the nuns and the locals was interesting and it all seemed very other-worldly to the cops.

      Delete
  4. I quite like a religion based mystery too even though I'm not religious. I've not heard of this series though, odd since there are so many of them. Out of curiosity I just checked to see whether my library catalogue has any, it has quite a few... just not this one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this one is a good indicator, Cath, I suspect that most of the books in the series could be fun for cozy fans. I forget what part of England Aird is from and where she sets her books, but this one, having been written in 1966, was kind of a throwback read. I'm curious about the ones she's recently written.

      Delete
  5. I am very fond of this series. Although they are cozies in a sense, I read them for the police procedural element and the subtle humor. I have only read the first six. Maybe I should hop ahead by a decade or two and see how they change as time goes on, but I would be quite happy reading through the series. Henrietta Who? has a great ending and The Stately Home Murder is another favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I think Aird is a wonderful writer, and she made me chuckle several times with her wit. I have always had a problem with mysteries written in the cozy style because they just don't ever seem quite alive to me. They tend to come across to me more as murder mystery parodies, and I know that's not the intention. I love the fact that you love the series so much...obviously, you are not alone because any series that can last through five decades from a single author is a very special series.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.