Wednesday, November 17, 2021

A Trick of the Light - Louise Penny


A Trick of the Light
is book number seven in Louise Penny’s seventeen-book Chief Inspector Gamache series. The novel falls near the halfway point of the series in more ways than one. By this point, longtime series readers already knew the main characters well enough to appreciate how their experiences were changing them and their relationships to each other. Gamache and his fellow cops had been through a traumatic experience that changed all of them — and some were more obviously than others still suffering from the psychological trauma of the shootout they were so lucky to have survived. But Gamache and his second-in-command, Jean Guy Beauvoir, who both first came to Three Pines on a murder investigation, by now consider several of the villagers friends, a development that often complicates their official visits to the community. 


Much has been revealed about personal relationships already, but those relationships continue to evolve in A Trick of the Light. Gamache and Jean Guy are struggling to define the way they see each other after what they experienced together in the infamous warehouse gun battle that will forever mark their careers and their feelings about each other. Jean Guy’s marriage is in trouble; Annie’s (Gamache’s daughter) marriage is in trouble; and the cracks in the marriage of Clara and Peter Morrow (longtime Three Pines residents) are about to shatter that relationship. Still, despite the number of times that Gamache has been called to Three Pines on serious police business, he realizes now that he loves the place and feels great peace there. All of these things foreshadow a new phase in lives that will be explored in the second half of the series.


Right now, though, Clara Morrow is enjoying the moment. After years of struggling as the anonymous artist wife of her slightly better known husband Peter, whose art pays most of the family bills, Clara is about to get the break of a lifetime: the major solo show that could suddenly make her famous and wealthy. Despite Clara’s fears that it is all too good to be true, the show goes well and the reviews, though a bit mixed, are enthusiastically positive in the publications that count most in the art world. But Clara, as it turns out, was right to be worried because the morning after her celebratory party in Three Pines her husband discovers a dead body in their backyard. 


Once again, Gamache and his investigatory team set up shop in little Three Pines. And that’s when the fun begins. Gamache will learn the dirty little secret of the Québec art world: nothing is as it first seems; it is a world of greed, jealousy, ego, and dirty tricks. The book jacket puts it this way:


“Behind every smile there lurks a sneer. Inside every sweet relationship there hides a broken heart. And even when facts are slowly exposed, it is no longer clear to Gamache and his team if what they’ve found is the truth, or simply a trick of the light.”


Bottom Line: All of the best detective/crime series have one thing in common: memorable characters that readers enjoy revisiting year after year. Setting and plots are important, of course, but without continuing characters the reader can truly care about, those alone will not make a series stand out from the crowd for long. Louise Penny, remarkable storyteller that she is, offers the whole package. If you are not already reading the Gamache series, you need to grab a copy of Still Life (2005) and get started.


Louise Penny

23 comments:

  1. I read this one all the way back in 2013 and had to pull up my review to remember how I perceived it at the time. A lot of water under the Three Pines bridges since then. Here's a link to my review if your care to read it: https://www.thenatureofthings.blog/2013/05/a-trick-of-light-by-louise-penny-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I'll head over there for a look when done here. You're right...lots of water under the bridge since this one. I think that's why it strikes me as being kind of a pivotal novel...lots of changes that are hinted at in this one are right on the verge of happening.

      Delete
  2. I do need to grab a copy of Still Live and get started on this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is in my all-time top 5, Lark. It surprised me by reaching that status, but now I really love it.

      Delete
  3. A good instalment of this excellent series. None of the books disappoint and several you have coming are *so* good. I need to get hold of my next one which is The Long Way Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read them in order, Cath, so I've only got books 9 and 17 to go. Kind of dreading a complete catch-up because I hate waiting a year between books so much.

      Delete
  4. I am quite uncertain which of her books I've read and haven't as I jumped around. I checked and see I listened to this audio in 2011 and rated it a 4/5 stars. I need to get back and fill in the holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working on filling in the holes for a couple of years now, and I'm sort of sad to be down to only two unread Gamache books now.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like another good section from the series. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites from the series, Mystica, because of how everyone in it seems to be in transition at the same time.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sam, I finished reading Fatal Grace maybe two or three months ago and told myself that I should wait a few more months before jumping in to The Cruelest Month, the 3rd book in Louise Penny's wonderful Three Pines series. But reading your very fine review has made me realize I am being foolish. I love this series! And I want to read The Cruelest Month right now and that's what I should do because I am not young anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I hear you. I'm sitting on so many books that I've postponed reading that It's starting to seem foolish to me. I've always kept one or two books "in the bank" from each of my most favorite authors, but here lately I've decided to read them now instead of "hoarding" them that way. I figure I can away re-read some of them if I want to anyway.

      Delete
  7. I'm adding Still Life on my list of must reads for 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I were just discovering the series, JoAnn. Do keep in mind that it gets better and better over time - not that the first book is bad, don't mean that - as the characters morph into real people in readers' minds.

      Delete
  8. I love this series although this is not one of my very favorites. Peter is such a real and increasingly unlikable character! The evolution of Jean-Guy as a character is fascinating, but that is true of all of them. As with Deborah Crombie, whose books I also love, I don't think the author knew what she had or where she was going with the first book. So it has probably been as entertaining for her as for us to see how the series developed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are right in that Louise Penny could not possibly have had any idea where this was all going when she started. Peter and Olivier are the two characters, I think, who have most surprised me over the course of the series.

      Delete
  9. I heard someone use the phrase "comfort characters" and I loved it because that's how I feel about Armand Gamache, Jean-Guy Beauvoir, & Co. They're characters I love and return to over and over again. Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Comfort characters"...perfect. That is exactly what has happened for me with the Gamache series. Two books in the bank now, and then I'm caught up...mixed emotions about that.

      Delete
  10. I love this series too, but I have to say that I did not like Still Life when I read it, or at least I had no inclination to continue the series. It took a few years before I tried the second book, and it wasn't until the 4th book that I began to love the series. I am at the same place as Cath, my next book will be The Long Way Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on Still Life. If it had been the first Gamache book that I read, I wonder if I would have gone on with the series like I did. But I started somewhere towards the middle of the series, and it's just now -years later - that I'm finally about to completely catch up...two books to go now. The series really hooked me by the time I had read three or four of the books toward the middle; I think that's when Penny really hit her stride. Now, going back and reading the earlier books, I'm seeing them through the eyes of someone already familiar with the characters and what they become...sort of like reading a bunch of prequels.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.