Monday, November 15, 2021

2021: A Reading Year Filled with Surprises

Ann Cleeves

As we approach the end of 2021, I've started preparing my own "Long Lists" for favorite fiction and nonfiction titles of the year. I already know that it's going to be a shorter nonfiction list than usual because, as of today, I've read only 22 nonfiction titles. It also looks, 
because of my efforts to read more from prior decades this year, like the lists are going to be a mix of new and old books rather than being strictly limited to books published in 2021. 

Sherman Alexie

But what jumped out at me today as I scanned the 116 titles I've read so far is how many "breakthrough" authors there are there - authors I either barely knew or didn't know at all,  just a few months ago - who have now become
must read authors to me. 

Thanks largely to my fellow book bloggers, I will be looking forward to new books from these authors, as well as reading their back catalogs, for years to come:

  • William Shaw
  • Reavis Z. Wortham
  • Tana French
  • Ann Cleeves
  • Ragnar Jonasson
  • Sherman Alexie
  • S.A. Cosby
S.A. Cosby

This is the first time ever that I've ended a reading year being this excited about so many new-to-me authors. Usually, I'm lucky to add one or two writers to my list of favorites; never anywhere near seven, so 2021 has become one of my favorite reading years ever. With only six weeks in 2021 still to go, and a few goals still to be worked on, I'm hoping that 2022 can be half as much fun as 2021 has been.

Tana French
William Shaw

Ragnar Jonasson

Reavis Z. Wortham

18 comments:

  1. So cool that you've read so many new-to-you authors this year who are now must-read authors. I love when that happens! Of course, it really adds to the TBR list (but that seems to happen without me even trying).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right...the only problem now is finding the time to read the huge back catalogs I've added to my TBR.

      Delete
  2. My first thought was what Lark said, that your TBR is really going to larger with even more favorite authors. These all sound like authors worth following up on, however.

    I don't have any experience yet with Reavis Z. Wortham, S.A. Cosby or Alexie Sherman but I have read several books by Ann Cleeves and Tana French. And one each by Ragnar Jonasson and William Shaw. I would like to try books by Wortham and Cosby for sure.

    It has been a good reading year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been one of the better reading years I've had in a long time, Tracy. I think I've finally accepted the more restrictive lifestyle we've all been handed the past two years, and I've come up with other options...like exploring new authors and series to help take up some of the slack.

      Wortham and Cosby are very different stylists although both write crime novels. Cosby is much more violent...Wortham a little less bloody but just as thrilling. Wortham has created some interesting continuing characters; Cosby, so far, has written standalones.

      Delete
  3. Four of these authors are familiar to me, French, Cleeves, Shaw and Jonasson, all excellent. I can feel your excitement about reading more by these writers shining through this post, Sam, and am so pleased for you. I can't wait for 2022 to start as I've already lined up quite a few books both real and as ebooks for reading. I've also decided to try to read a handful of classics next year, so that should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of hard to believe that we are already starting to plan for another year...this one flew by much quicker than I expected it would under COVID rules. I really need to read more classics than I do; lately, time I would have spent reading classics has more often been allocated to mid-twentieth century books. I feel a big blank spot when looking at that period.

      Delete
  4. Oh Sam, just think what this will do to your ever-growing TBR list! Seriously, I think it's great that you have discovered so many new authors this year... Tana French is the only one I've read. Already looking forward to your year-end lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tana French is the only one of the seven I mentioned that I'm still on the fence about. I absolutely loved one of her books, but could not finish another one. I like the series characters, though, and I think me not finishing that one book is more my fault than hers. Just not the time for it.

      Delete
  5. Jonasson, Cleeves, and French are all favorites of mine. I'm glad you have discovered them this year. You have a lot of good reading ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do, Dorothy. The best thing that can happen to an avid reader is to "discover" a new author with an extensive back catalog to be read...money in the bank kind of feeling.

      Delete
  6. You have so much good reading ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you recognize the source of a few on the list, Cathy...thanks.

      Delete
  7. Glad you found so may great new authors this year. I've read 3 of those authors. I'll probably start looking at my lists of 2021 reads in a few weeks. I tried the first SA Cosby book but a chapter in I didn't think his writing was for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosby's style is brutal, for sure. He doesn't cut the reader any slack. I suspect his style will be too much for lots of readers for that reason.

      Delete
  8. Nice pics of these authors. Many authors to look forward to in 2022 books ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty diverse group with one important thing in common...great writing talent.

      Delete
  9. Oh, for Heaven's Sake--I never thought about it only being six weeks until the end of this year! That really took me aback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always sneaks up on me, Jen. Didn't realize it until my wife made a trip to the grocery to start gathering things for next week's Thanksgiving celebration.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.