Friday, August 14, 2020

Unofficial Britain: Journeys Through Unexpected Places - Gareth E. Rees

Gareth Rees’s Unofficial Britain: Journeys Through Unexpected Places certainly lives up to its title. Despite having lived in the U.K. for a number of years, and the thousands of miles I’ve driven there, Rees took me to some places I never even got close to exploring (not that I would have likely explored them even if I’d known about them), some truly “unexpected places.”  

 Picture if you would a study of the country’s electric pylon networks, its ring roads and roundabouts, its abandoned housing and industrial estates, its underpasses and flyovers, its “concrete castles” (otherwise known as multi-story parking garages), and its abandoned hospitals. My personal favorite chapter in the book is its last, one titled “An Emotional Life of the M6,” in which Rees details his still very strong attachment to that particular motorway. This is the chapter that readers will most easily identify with, especially if they have their own memories tucked away of some long highway or interstate they once traveled regularly with their parents.  


Gareth Rees visited multiple cities and towns in England, Scotland, and Wales in search of weird stories “about the lore of everyday urban life.” He traveled to major cities like Manchester, London, and Birmingham as well as to lesser known towns and villages such as Harlow, Grimsby, Greenock and Kirkintilloch. You might think that he was only looking for “haunted” spots in each location he stopped to explore. After all, how easy must it be to convince yourself that an abandoned hospital – complete with beds and other left behind equipment – or a long abandoned factory that looks like everyone just decided never to return one after work one day, is haunted? It would be particularly easy to do so at dusk, exactly the time of day Rees most often visited such places.


But Unofficial Britain is not a book about ghost hunters or one written for them. Rees has a much deeper observation than that to share with his readers. Rees reaches the conclusion that even though everything about a place changes over the years, very little that matters actually changes. He maintains that a certain place tone and spirit is maintained forever despite what is overlaid on any place through the centuries – that each use of a place leaves something behind forever in an “ever-turning cycle.” He uses examples such as these:

 

            “The flyover where a viaduct once stood. The Victorian workhouse that became a hospital. The steelworks on the site of a monastery. The burial cairn surrounded by a busy interchange. Motorway earthworks that rise alongside their Stone Age predecessors.”


All places that Rees visits in Unofficial Britain” – all places where he feels the pull of the past so strongly that it gives him goose-bumps.

6 comments:

  1. I like these kinds of travel books. Especially when I'm stuck at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say this is the weirdest travel book I've ever read...and I've read dozens of them. Like you say, they are great when I can't travel myself - and especially today when I can't even look forward to traveling again because there's not even a hint of any light at the end of the virus tunnel.

      Delete
  2. I think weird travel books are the best. I have a few favourites, the chap who walked the London Underground - overground, Peter Fiennes doing literary tours, a chap cycling all around the coast. I have some good tbrs too. This one sounds like another one to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it, Cath. I doubt that you'd want to follow the author's path on this one, but I'll welcome your more attuned point-of-view.

      I'm still looking for that one about walking the Underground...that's more my kind of weirdness than this one was.

      Delete
  3. I've visited several times, but mostly to places on every guide book. I like the sound of this weird travel book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly different enough to get you off the beaten path, Jen. LOL

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.