Thursday, August 20, 2020

It's Book Festival Season - and It's All Going Virtual

 I think it's time to make a little lemonade out of all those sour lemons handed to us by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Have you guys always wanted to attend some of the more prominent book festivals in the U.S., but for lots of good reasons just never got it done? I sure have. Well, now's your chance because one of the best things to come out of this brave new world we are all living in right now is the virtual book fair. I've been noticing articles about how so many of this year's fall festivals are going to be streaming events via YouTube, and wondering how much attending virtually might cost us. Now, comes a bit of good news for you.

This article from the Miami Herald indicates that almost everything happening at the Miami Book Fair this year will be recorded or live-streamed to readers at no cost to them. Absolutely free.

The COVID-19 pandemic has done what 9/11 and Hurricane Andrew couldn’t do: It forced the fair, which began in 1984, to cancel its annual weeklong book frenzy at the college for the first time in 37 years. But the show will go on virtually — and it will go on for free.

[...]

That means a blend of pre-recorded events and livestream, possibly recorded interviews with authors and live Q and A sessions. Some events will be available on the website for one night only; others may linger online longer.

[...]

Mendez envisions it as “Netflix for books” accessed through a new and upgraded website. You’ll sign in with your email and create a password, and the site will take you to a list of programs, panels and conversations that you’ll view the way you view your Netflix catalog. Click on what you want to see, and the link will take you to a YouTube-like page where you watch the event.

I don't know about you, but I'm really excited by this news, and by what I've heard about the the Texas Book Festival and a few others that are planning something very similar to what Miami is doing.

Mark November 15-22 on your calendars so that you don't miss out on taking advantage of this rare chance to experience a major book festival without having to leave home. It's not the same experience as actually being there, of course, but it's got to be the next best thing. I'm hoping now that book festivals continue to share content with readers around the world even after the pandemic is finally in our rear-view mirrors. I'm pretty sure that authors and booksellers would sell a lot more books that way.

Other links for you to explore:

Texas Book Festival Goes Virtual  This is the 25th anniversary of the founding of this festival by Laura Bush back in 1995. It is usually a one-weekend event, but this year the sessions are being spread out between October 31 and November 15.

The San Diego Festival of Books  This appears to be a considerably smaller event taking place online on August 29.

Festival of Books in the Alleghenies   There is an event, with linking-up instructions, on the website for August 26.

South Dakota Festival of Books  Schedule for October 1-24, this one is in the process of converting itself into a virtual festival

Brooklyn Book Festival  This virtual festival is scheduled for October 24. 

And this is the tip of the iceberg. Book Festival season is largely a fall thing, and I see that quite a few festivals are yet to announce any plans for going virtual. Those later in the season are probably still hoping it will be business as usual for them, but their odds are not good, so keep your eyes open. 

This could really be fun. 


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-com/things-to-do/article245083020.html#storylink=cpy

9 comments:

  1. Oooo. I have never attended a book festival, so this definitely sounds intriguing! Exciting, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a lot of fun, doesn't it. I've even seen some live events that you register for and then can interact directly with the authors via your own questions.

      Delete
  2. I have had the privilege and fun of attending Left Coast Crime when it was in Phoenix a few years ago. What a thrill to meet and talk with so many of my favorite authors!

    The rise of the Virtual Event is indeed the lemonade of the pandemic, and I hope readers take full advantage of what will be on offer.

    One of the biggest festivals is held in Tucson each winter-- usually February or March. By that time, plenty of people are sick of winter and want to experience the best time of year here in the Sonoran Desert. I'm sure the people who run it are hoping that the nightmare will be over before the next Tucson Festival of Books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that Tucson is lucky enough to hold their festival as they have in the past. I really miss traveling most of all right now, and I would love to attend that one sometime. I've only been able to attend the Texas (about 15 times) and San Antonio (once) festivals so far.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed Left Coast Crime, and it's been held in places like Reno and Albuquerque, which aren't that far from Phoenix at all, but... my husband doesn't show any signs of wanting to go (although he attends author events with me at The Poisoned Pen all the time).

      I have to admit that I haven't been to the Tucson Festival of Books because I don't do well in hordes of people-- and I've seen photos of the festival showing just that. I might gird my loins and give it a shot one of these years soon.

      Delete
    3. I know exactly what you mean about the hordes of people. The Texas festival crowds have tripled or more in recent years, and as a consequence, I've enjoyed them less and less. Now, I can't always get into the events I most want to see without buying a $100 special pass to put me in the front of the line waiting to get in. I just don't feel comfortable doing that, but I'm getting closer and closer to giving in because I've missed some really interesting sessions that I still regret missing.

      Delete
    4. I know what you mean. I'd be tempted to give in and buy the pass myself.

      Delete
  3. This is one of the best things I've ever heard of!!!! I am SO psyched. Have never, ever been to one. Thanks very much for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to "attending" some of these virtual festivals, Nan. I think I'm finally getting used to the Zoom app, and the ones on YouTube should be especially easy to access.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.