Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Book-Juggling and Reading Fast I Can

 I find myself juggling a few books at the moment, one e-book, one audiobook, and one physical ARC. In recent months, I'd gotten back into the habit of one-at-a-timing my books, and I kind of slipped back into the multiple-book habit, I think, because the different formats allow me to get in more pages than would be possible by reading from a single format. So here's what is in-progress right now:

This is the only one of the three that was included in my reading plan for August, and I'm finding Larry Watson's prose style to be just about perfect for me. Edie Pritchard (in the first 25% of the book) is married to a twin whose brother consistently flirts with Edie. At this point, Edie is still holding the jerky brother off, but this seems destined to end badly. All of this is set in Montana, an environment that Watson knows very well and paints vividly for his readers. I'm loving this one. (This is the physical ARC - and I'm happy about that because it is going somewhere on my shelves as soon as I finish it.

Disappearing Earth, on the other hand, is a little disappointing at its half-way mark. Despite its cover and book blurb, this is not all that much about the disappearance of two little girls in a remote area of Russia. The girls are kidnapped right at the beginning of the book and have barely been mentioned since. Instead, the author seems to be focusing only on various residents, mostly young girls, who live in the little town they disappeared from. I'm hoping there's a plan here somewhere to turn this back into a mystery. (This is the audiobook I'm reading.)

Unofficial Britain is NOTHING like I expected it would be. I was looking for a travel book of sorts, one that would show me the bits and pieces of Britain I love best, all those little towns and villages that few tourists ever bother with. Instead, I'm getting a look at sections of the U.K. that are "unofficial" because of their abandoned housing estates, electric pylons, haunted roundabouts, and the like. I'm not quite halfway through the book (an e-book) but the common theme seems to be that the past is never really the past, that some really strange - or common - places are "haunted" by spirits from the past. Let's just say, this is neither a thriller nor a travel book. I'm not sure yet what to think about it. 

I also used my library's "curbside" pick-up service this morning for the first time. It was all very simple, really. I called the number included in the email notification that my book was there, set a time for pick-up, and drove to the library where I walked up to a table at the front door to grab my clearly-marked book from the unmanned table set-up there. Other than checking the book out over the phone, I had zero contact with a library employee...even Curbside Larry. 

The book that came home with me in this test run of the system was All Systems Red by Martha Wells. This is book one-of-six in the Murderbot Diaries system that Jenclair seemed to like so much one day on her blog, A Garden Carried in the Pocket.

I've only read the first paragraph of the book so far, but even if I knew nothing at all about the novel, that paragraph is so clever that I would definitely keep reading. For more on the series, click the link to Jenclair's blog, up above.

16 comments:

  1. EDIE PRITCHARD is one I was supposed to read back in July but just didn't get to. Oops. THE VANISHING EARTH is one I want to read. I'm sorry to hear it's a bit disappointing. That's always a bummer. Maybe it will pick up? I hope so because this book sounds super compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one didn't arrive at my house until about two weeks after publication, so the pressure was off and I let it sit for a while. I'm about half way through now, and I'm still enjoying it. You might want to get to it at some point.

      Delete
  2. The Lives of Edie Pritchard sounds good, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is - at least to the halfway point. It is divided into three parts, each one twenty years later than the preceding part. 1967-1987-2007

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with any of these titles but, curious.

    I usually have one audio and one print or eBook going but last week I had 3 and got 2 stories a bit confused and the one started not to make sense until I realized I was remembering the other book. Now just (2) max and 2 different plot lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I have to be really careful that when I'm reading three books and up that they are all very different from one another so that I can keep them clear in my mind. What's kind of fun is seeing one book of several I'm reading jump out of the crowd and demand that I put all the others down until I finish that one. I know I'm reading something special when that happens.

      Delete
  4. I still need to read the Murderbot Diaries! They've been on my TBR list for far too long now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started this volume yet, but it's right on top of my desk, insisting that I don't forget about it.

      Delete
  5. I loved The Disappearing Earth for many things, but the mystery wasn't one of them. It's less a mystery and more about the people affected by the children's disappearances, about the landscape, and about the culture. The ending is a doozy, though, so I hope you hang on for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on it, Cathy. Maybe this should have been one better-read than listened to via audiobook. I think the names have confused me to the point that I'm having trouble remembering which character is which anymore.

      Delete
    2. I can't agree or disagree with you on this one. I can't do audiobooks; if I try to listen to one, I'm asleep in less than five minutes!

      Delete
    3. Ha ha...I've done a whole lot of "rewinding," Cathy.

      Delete
  6. Interesting mix, Sam. These days I always have two or three books on the go at the same time. A non-fiction, a fiction and a bedtime book. Sometimes the non-fction is the bedtime book and there's an ebook being read as well. I'm reading more and more ebooks now, partly due to lockdown and partly due to how much like reading on the Kindle Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The large Kindle Fire tablet really does make reading a book or a magazine a pleasure, Cath. I especially love the true colors, something the the Kindle readers, even the most expensive of them, are still lacking.

      Delete
  7. All of these sound interesting and have an interesting eclecticism. I do hope you enjoy All Systems Red! I have trouble with audio books and often switch back to reading because listening is too slow. It depends so much on the narrator, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find audiobooks to be considerably slower to get through, but I primarily use them when I'm driving or doing some kind of "mindless" task around the house, so I look at them as add-ons to whaat I would have otherwise read in a given day.

      And you are really right about the narrator making all the difference. Some audiobooks, even from authors I really like, are unlistenable because the narration is so awful.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.