Thursday, August 06, 2020

Colorado Authors Are Book-Bombing Little Free Libraries

I've been an advocate of Little Free Libraries since I first became aware of them in early 2013, and I've posted on the subject on a few occasions over the years:

You Can Have Your Own Little Free Library

Shame on You City of Shreveport

Seattle Pre-Schoolers Lose Their Little Free Library to Arson 

The funny thing is that despite my interest in the whole concept of people exchanging free books with each other this way still being keen, I've only ever spotted two of the things for myself. And both of those, as it turned out, were devoted exclusively to children's books, so I could do little but grab a picture of them and move on. 

Now it seems that some rather brilliant authors in Colorado are using Little Free Libraries around the state to get their own new books into the hands of readers. Obviously, this only works if you are seeking exposure over profit, but for debut authors, this might just help sell some books post-pandemic time (whenever that finally turns out to be). 

According to this Denver Post article, what was initially planned as a one-week "book bombing" of Little Free Libraries across the state of Colorado, has now been extended by some participants through the end of August. Harper McDavid (pictured) and Melissa Payne are two of those authors.

“It’s a win-win as far as we’re concerned,” said McDavid, who has watched traditional libraries struggle to keep up with demand for book borrowing. “I volunteer at Jefferson County Public Library, and even if you request a book, it takes forever to get to you right now. So this is a way for us to give back to the community — and get ourselves out there a little.”
While the distribution only amounts to a book or two per day, per author, the program is already showing results. The first book McDavid donated contained a bookmark with her contact information. Within hours, someone reached out to her asking if they could get copies of “Zapata” for a book club.

 As I was putting together this post, I found the Little Free Library search engine, and I see that there should be four charted Little Free Libraries in my area. I hope to take a look at them, and maybe grab a few pictures in the process, during the next few days. 

10 comments:

  1. There's a Little Free Library in the neighborhood now. I've often wondered about them here in Phoenix...how they would survive the summers...because the heat can destroy the bindings. What I think is a hoot is that the woman who put up the LFL has the same name as I-- both first and last-- only spelled differently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any of the boxes in my neighborhood, primarily because the deed restriction fascists won't allow anything out of the ordinary, even something as positive as this can be. Weird coincidence about your names...

      Delete
  2. I think that's a great idea for authors to get their books to more readers. I've only spotted two Little Free Libraries by me. They're so fun, I wish there were more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be more common around here than I supposed they were, but they are so far off my beaten path that I've never come across even one of them. I suppose that's to be expected, though.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Little Free Libraries! They're so fun. My SIL has one in her small Utah town and it gets a lot of use. I've got one nearby, which is where I donate my ARCs. If my neighborhood didn't have a strict HOA, I would put one in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about donating ARCs that way. No one else around here will take them anymore, including several used book bookstores that you to sell them to me on occasion. I've even recycled a few of the ones I really hated via our trash service's recyclables pick-up on Fridays.

      Delete
  4. I wish we had a LFL in our neighborhood. Friends in Shreveport have one that has been a success in their neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't remember if your friends had finally beat the city ordinance that was trying to shut them down. Good to hear that the LFL is still in place.

      Delete
  5. I actually considered doing that when I moved here, but unfortunately, there are no little libraries anywhere near here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that unless an author is somewhere around a large city this would be difficult and require a lot of driving.

      I do admire the thinking "outside the box" that led these folks to doing this.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.