Sunday, April 19, 2020

Some Bookstores Are Delivering "Mystery Bags" of Books to Customers


While independent bookstores all over the world are struggling to stay solvent, the good news is that a lot of them are figuring out ways to generate at least a little cash flow while their doors are still locked tight. 

According to this Smithsonian Magazine article, some are delivering "mystery bags" of books to customers yearning to experience the surprise of going to a bookstore and coming home with something totally unexpected. Since they can't browse the shelves for themselves, they ask the bookseller to do it for them.
"Capitol Hill Books in Washington, D.C. began offering the service in mid-March at a customer’s request.

“Favorite email of the day so far: ‘If I give you guys $100 can you send me a mystery bag of books?’” the bookstore tweeted on March 21.

“Yes. Yes we can.”

By the next day, more than 50 people had contacted the store with similar orders, according to Mary Tyler March of WAMU. Prior to the mystery bag suggestion, Capitol Hill Books had essentially closed its doors, limiting opening hours to 60-minute slots in which four people at a time were allowed to wander the store’s narrow, book-lined aisles."

Bookstores in other states have followed suit, and at least one of them says that it is delivering about 125 mystery bags per week. From the sound of it, the booksellers are having as much fun with this concept as the shoppers, so this is one of those win-win situations for a whole lot of bookish people.

Click on the link up above for the entire article. It might make you smile a little today.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. I might need to try something like that if the library doesn't open soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If something like this helps save our indie bookstores, I'm all for it. I don't think anything like it is being done in Houston, but I'm probably 25 miles from the stores most likely to do something like this and won't be able to participate if they do because they probably won't deliver that far out.

      Delete
  2. My library did something like this once in a while- they called it "blind date with a book" there'd be a table of books wrapped in brown paper with just the barcode for checkout exposed, and a few lines that gave you a hint of what was inside. I never checked one out but it sure looked like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of a few libraries doing that, Jeane. Mine didn't, but I would have probably checked out one or two if they had. I love opening "presents."

      Delete
  3. Clever and fun! Mystery lovers getting mysterious titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the bags seem to come in at about $5 a title, so they are a good bargain, too. Anything that helps save the indies is definitely a good thing.

      Delete
  4. How fun! I wouldn't mind getting a mystery bag of books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of like Christmas morning, Lark. You never know what's under the wrapper...

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant idea. Haven't heard of it happening over here but I would seriously consider it just for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Cath, it really does sound like fun - and it's a feel-good way to help out an indie bookshop or two.

      Delete
  6. Interesting! My favorite indie is doing a version of this. They're offering themed mystery boxes that you can buy for yourself or other people. I'm not a fan of surprises, so I haven't tried it yet, but I hope other people are getting in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like this is catching on all around the country. I admire the ingenuity of all the small businesses out there that are coming up with all these clever twists to at least keep the business alive for a while longer. The economic crash being caused by this worldwide shutdown is going to claim a whole lot of businesses, small and large, before things get even close to being normal again.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.