Monday, April 13, 2020

Covid-19 Journal - Week 5 Begins

Thanks to what Diane is doing over on Bibliophile by the Sea, I've come to realize that our blogs are a useful tool to keep track of how we coped with this period of isolation, something that we can look back on a few years down the road for a reminder or two of what it was like. So, using Diane's basic format, I plan to start off each new week with a summary of what life is like for me in my Houston suburb. 

Virus Stats from Johns Hopkins:

In the last week,

Worldwide cases increased from 1,272,115 to 1,846,963,
United States cases increased from 337,274 to 555,398, and
Texas cases went from 7,231 with 138 deaths to 13,741 with 286 deaths.

Outside:

I was surprised this morning to find that a mini cold front came through the area sometime during the night. It's almost noon as I write this, and the temperature is only 57 degrees. That's a huge drop from the 90 degrees we reached on Saturday. According to the weather app, we got down to 51 early this morning and the high will be 66. I see that we can expect lows of around 48 degrees the next two mornings - and that just seems weird.

The painters showed up early this morning to prepare the outside of the house for a fresh coat of paint, and it was a bit of a jolt to walk out into this sunny and windy surprise of a morning. It most certainly woke me up. 

Reading/Watching/Listening to:

I'm reading about 60% of the number of pages per day that I was reading before all this started, and part of the reason for the drop is that I'm watching more movies and listening to a whole lot more music than I was before. I've even gone back to just reading one book at a time, something I haven't done for years.

I'm about 25% of the way through Simon the Fiddler by Paulette Jiles, a really good piece of historical fiction set in Texas just after the conclusion of the Civil War. Jiles is a wonderful writer and I'm counting on her to help me break my reading slump. Next up for me is The Case of the Negligent Nymph, a throwback read, something I probably read decades ago when I was really into Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason books. It will be interesting to see if the Gardner books pass the test of time. The Jiles book is to be released tomorrow (April 14), and the Gardner book is from 1950.

I've been searching for "literary" movies a lot lately, and I managed to find a few good ones last week with the help of Epix (we are getting a free preview right now that ends on 4/16), Kanopy, Showtime (recorded from a free preview weekend), and Netflix. A Brilliant Young Mind is a British movie about an autistic child who proves to be a mathematical genius but is suffering emotional problems because of the tragic loss of his father in an automobile accident.


The other three movies are all based on books, two of which I read a few years ago.  Sarah's Key was a huge book for Tatiana de Rosnay back in 2007, and it was followed by a movie version in 2010 that does a good job of representing the novel. The concentration camp scenes are sometimes difficult to watch, but in a way, this is a beautiful movie. The Virgin Suicides is based on the 1993 debut novel by Jeffrey Eugenides, an author who writes some really unusual books. The 1999 movie version seems a little dated but that's not a huge
problem because the movie is set in the 1970s. The Best of Enemies is based on Osha Gray Davidson's 2006 book about a racial confrontation in Durham, North Carolina, over school segregation. Hard as this one may be to believe, it is based on a true story - with video of the actual people involved shown as part of the closing credits to prove it. 




Listening To:


I've listened to the occasional bookish podcast during all of this, but it's also been great fun to revisit some of the music I haven't listened to in way too long. I've been spending time with lots of country classics, including music from George Jones, George Strait, Randy Travis, Dwight Yoakam, and Johnny Cash. Roots music. And for me, just about perfect for the times.

In the Kitchen:

Life goes on. The biggest difference in our lives regarding meals is that I'm cooking more of them outside on the grill than before. Part of that is a function of the better weather we've been having, but we're also finding the grilled meals to be a nice change from the kitchen-cooked ones. It's still hit and miss at the local groceries, but I'm finding about 90% of what we're out of when I make my weekly scavenger hunt to refill the pantry and freezers. It's slowly getting better, however, even though I'm still finding it difficult to find our preferred brands of peanut butter, flour, corn meal, etc. - and some cuts of meat seem to have completely disappeared. 

The Outside World:

No matter that we are all trying to keep our heads down right now in hopes that we are helping the situation, the outside world keeps intruding. We discovered a plumbing problem late Friday night that had to be taken care of on Saturday morning, meaning that a masked plumber spent a couple of hours with us. And today, the painter we contracted with prior to the shutdown began work on the outside of the house - with minimal contact to all. Last week, I also had to pick up the license plates for the car I bought in early March, meaning a trip to the dealer where I had to wait for 15 minutes for someone to figure out where they put them. 

The best laid plans...


10 comments:

  1. My reading slowed down a little bit last week, mostly because of (1) a boring book, (2) cross-stitching and watching movies, and (3) my daughter keeps taking my iPad (on which I read e-books) so she can Facetime with her friends. I'm finding I don't mind all that much :)

    My older daughter and I went grocery shopping on Saturday morning and were surprised at how much Safeway still didn't have in stock. The baking aisle was completely cleared out (luckily, I had some unexpired yeast in the fridge so I could still make rolls for Easter dinner), as was the paper goods aisle (of course), and even the frozen aisles were fairly sparse. Such a strange world we're living in right now. I tell you, though, I will never again take for granted the ease of buying simple things like yeast, toilet paper, and canned goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all going to come out on the other side of this thing vowing never to take the simple things for granted again. Seeing all those empty spaces in grocery stores, including entire wiped-out aisles, will change us all for a long time, if not forever. We in this country take for granted that things will always be there when we want them. Few of us alive today remember shortages like we are facing today. It helps me understand some of the conservative thinking I've seen over the years in people who lived through the Great Depression.

      Delete
  2. The death toll continues to be very disturbing here as well but there's starting to be evidence of a plateau so that's good, although it's still early days. Also good, the PM is out of hospital and recovering. The nation held its breath there for a bit.

    Enjoyed hearing about the films you've been watching, strangely none of them are familiar to me. I'm finding I don't want to read anything that's too stressful, Michael Palin is fine and I'm also reading am E.M. Delafield, The Provincial Lady goes Further which is really funny. Also watching a lot of cookery shows.

    Take care, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, "A Brilliant Young Man" is a British film that was known as "X + Y" in the U.K. market. If you can find it there, it's well worth a look. Vey well done.

      I was very relieved to hear that the PM was released from the hospital and doing much better. I can imagin how relieved you all must be that he recovered from the virus.

      I'm finding it so hard to concentrate still for more than just a few minutes at a shot that I'm having to pick exactly the right books if I'm going to read much at all. I just don't feel like working all that hard right now on the more difficult books or on something that doesn't interest me in the first place. I'm finding myself seriously wanting to revisit some of my favorites from the past right now. That and maybe reading from the various book series that I've always had good luck with. The problem with that is that I can't get to a library to find some of the older books that I'd like to have now. And I'm just not a huge fan of e-books when they are priced near the price of a quality paperback or even a hardback. Publishers would do themselves and us a favor if they would lower their e-book prices. I'm convinced the quantity sold would more than make up for the drop in price.

      Honestly, my wife and I (and my grandson) are starting to get a little stir-crazy at this point. The kid hasn't left this property since March 11.


      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about feeling stir-crazy. In our house everyone is starting to kinda get on each others' nerves. And we're not completely shut in- I do spent quite a bit of time outside in the yard working on my garden, my husband makes runs to the grocery store and post office occasionally, and we try to take daily walks through the neighborhood. But we're all starting to get kinda irritable at each other, for no reason. I have to keep reminding myself how much stress there is under the surface, even if we seem to be doing okay. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about all the children and others who are living in abusive households now that schools are shut down and they have no place to escape to on a daily basis. This is a tough time for normal, healthy families to live through, so it has to be truly terrible in homes that already had problems. Five weeks in, we are all feeling the stress of this open-ended experience. With no end-date in sight, you start get depressed and stressed out.

      What I find most discouraging at this point, though, is the realization that we are going to struggle to get back to normal even after the shutdowns are lifted. I can't even imagine going to a movie, or a sports event, or even being part of any large crowd anytime in the foreseeable future. Until we have a vaccine that protects us from this thing, I don't think I'll feel completely safe out there again. My Houston suburb's numbers are not encouraging right now, with something like 50 cases in my immediate area and more than a 100 other cases relatively nearby.

      Delete
  4. I've dubbed my weekly trips to the grocery store "Grocery Roulette" because I never know if I'll score big and get what I want, or crap out and come away with nothing. Great post! Love the recap, and I'm glad you're doing okay. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it. That's a perfect description for what grocery shopping is like these days, Lark.

      Delete
  5. I have a list for our next grocery run, but I'm afraid of being disappointed about certain brands. I bought jar of peanut butter that was the brand my husband liked, but was just creamy, not creamy with honey--or something. Anyway, it was a fail in his eyes.

    And Sam, talking about not feeling comfortable even when we get back to "normal"--I find myself uncomfortable watching a move or television show because they aren't social distancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling my wife that brands are iffy right now, but she hasn't been inside a grocery store since this started, so I don't think she completely understands what they are like right now. She's slowly coming around - and celebrates every "brand find" that I manage. LOL

      You know, I've had similar thoughts while watching movies are TV shows lately. I find myself thinking that they shouldn't be in such a crowd or standing that close together - and then it hits me that the world was different then. It's scary how deeply ingrained in my mind social distancing has so quickly become. Will we ever be normal again, I wonder.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.