Monday, April 20, 2020

Covid-19 Journal - Week 6 Begins

I'm kind of in shock this morning as I watch the price of crude oil rapidly fall to near zero. It actually hit one penny per barrel a few seconds ago, and at this moment the price is around twenty-five cents a barrel. That is a disaster for the world economy that is going to have some longterm effects that most people don't think about. It's a great feeling to get gasoline for under a buck a gallon, I agree. But it's a killer for a country that had finally reached energy independence because now many domestic oil producers are going to disappear forever - and we will be dependent on the Saudis once again for our energy. 

(Before I finished this post, the price of oil had gone negative for the day. That, in effect, means that some producers are willing to pay you roughly $35 a barrel just to haul the stuff away.)

Virus Stats from Johns Hopkins:

In the last week,

Worldwide cases increased from 1,846,963 to 2,440,876,
United States cases increased from 555,398 to 766,212, and
Texas cases went from 13,741 with 286 deaths to 19,512 with 504 deaths.

Outside:

We were on the very edge of the storms that clobbered the Southeast yesterday, so we really didn't get any of the high winds or much of the heavy rain. It did rain pretty much all day long, but it really only came down very hard three or four times all day. And today is one of the most beautiful days of the year with bright sunshine, cool temps, and very little wind. 

Reading/Watching/Listening to:


This is the only recently published e-book I was able to get from my library last week, and I'm about 75% of the way through it this morning. The Other Wes Moore was written when its author learned there was another man by the same name in his city who is living a life 180 degrees from the one the author has known. The author is a Rhodes Scholar, a veteran, a businessman, and a White House Fellow. The other Wes Moore is serving a life sentence in prison for his part in a jewelry store robbery during which a policeman/security guard was shot and killed.  Both men are black. 

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able also to snag an e-book loan from my library of Louise Penny's 2010 Armand Gamache novella The Hangman. It appears to be 100 pages long, and I'm wondering how it chronologically fits into the Gamache timeline, or if that even matters. Penny also published Bury Your Dead, the sixth novel in the Gamache series, that year, so I wonder if the novella started life as an intended-novel that she quit early on, or if it was always planned as a novella. I'll read this one as soon as I finish The Other Wes Moore because the due-date clock is ticking on it. 


I enjoyed several good movies and documentaries last week, but  honestly, with such an abundance of choice these days it would probably be more surprising if I hadn't. First Man (2018) is a biopic of Neil Armstrong that focuses on America's quest to beat the Russians to the moon. I had not realized that Armstrong had some emotional problems that he had to battle throughout his life, problems serious enough that they sometimes had the NASA decision-makers wondering if he was the best choice for various missions. The movie stars Ryan Gosling.


The Tomorrow Man (2019), starring John Lithgow and Blythe Danner, is a strange little movie about a "survivalist" who is preparing for apocalyptic times by storing food and gear in a secret room of his house. Because he is divorced and lonely, when he spots the Blythe Danner character he thinks he's found his soulmate after he observes her buying in large quantities just the way he does. Little does he know that she is just a hoarder. The last minute of this one is especially strange - never saw The Tomorrow Man going where it ended up.


Watching Drunks (1996) is a lot like sitting in on one of the AA meetings that take place all over the world every day. It is one heck of a reality check, but not nearly as depressing a movie as you might think it would be. The best part of this one for me was watching the actors, most of whom got so deeply into their roles that it was easy to forget they weren't a bunch of actual alcoholics and addicts. As you can see from the attached image, the cast of this one is pretty remarkable.

Listening To:


I got part of my music-fix last week from watching a couple of documentaries that were truly wonderful. First, I finished up Ken Burns's eight-part documentary series called Country Music. Burns had the good sense to end the documentary in the late 1980s because, sometime in the early nineties, real country music was destroyed by the likes of Shania Twain and Garth Brooks, and it never really recovered from their influence. I also watched Ron Howard's documentary on The Beatles called The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years. Even to this day, I listen to The Beatles more than to anyone else, so this one was a real treat for me last night. Ron Howard did a great job of putting all the material together. 


I also broke out a few of my older compilation albums, the kind where a dozen or so different artists contribute a song each based on a unifying theme or one core singer they all duet with. I had forgotten how good some of those albums are. But what I enjoyed most from my collection last week was rediscovering the amazing voice of Patty Loveless (a cousin of Loretta Lynn, by the way). Patty can sing just about any kind of music but I am particularly fond of her two or three bluegrass/mountain music albums. If you are a grasser, I very much recommend the album pictured.

In the Kitchen:

Life goes on. We are still finding pretty much what we need from the grocery stores every week, but it requires me to go to two or three of them every Friday morning to make that happen. I'm a little surprised that there are still large gaps on the shelves of the three grocery stores I shop in my north Houston suburb - and how the outages are so different from store to store. What one chain has been out of for weeks, another has in semi-abundance, and vice versa. I would definitely prefer not having to make three stops every week, tripling my exposure, but I don't expect that to change soon. 

The Outside World:

Texas is starting to open up just a little bit this week. The barriers to all the State Parks have been lifted, and the parks are open to those who wear masks and maintain the required spacing from each other. I doubt that will have much of an impact on the economy, however, since access to state parks is, I think, free. Maybe some folks will at least burn a little gasoline getting to the parks.

The governor has also said it's now OK for small businesses of all types to offer curbside service, something that might help the economy a bit, maybe even saving a few jobs that were on the brink of being lost in the next few days.

I wonder, though, even when things are more generally opened for leisure, shopping, exercise, etc. how soon people like me are going to feel comfortable going out in crowds of any size again. When will I feel comfortable  shopping without a mask, maybe even gloves? Will I return to major sporting events at all this year, or even next year? 

Will the "old normal" ever be normal again?

27 comments:

  1. The Hangman is on my list, too. It's supposedly the 7th installment, coming after Bury Your Dead and before A Trick of the Light, but it's hard to know for sure since a lot of lists of her books don't mention it because it's a novella. I'll be interested to know if this is the book where they finally move to Three Pines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly where it falls in line, so maybe this is the one where the Gamaches make the big move to Three Pines. I'll soon know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're doing ok. Enjoyed hearing about the books you're reading and the films you've enjoyed. John Lithgow was on one of our cookery challenge shows for celebrities last week, Great British Bake Off: Stand up to Cancer. He was a riot. Another week they had Richard Dreyfuss.

    Yes, I too am wondering how long it'll take to feel comfortable going out to do normal things once lock-down is over, or certain restrictions lifted. Our PM is concerned about a second wave if it's done too soon and I completely understand that. Tough decision. And I am not expecting to be rushing out like crazy once lockdown is eased. I'll let someone else go first. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I got a phone call a few minutes ago that my father has just fallen and has been taken by ambulance to the emergency room of a large hospital in the area. With this virus, that's the last place I need to be, so I'm sitting here not knowing what is going on while he is examined on his own. I never dreamed that something like this could happen - me unable to be with him during something like this - but even the hospital is telling me to stay away. I'm...I don't know what I am, honestly.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, Sam, I'm so sorry to hear this. Really, really sorry. But stay positive. A friend of a cousin, aged 94, had a fall a couple of weeks ago and similarly was taken into hospital, no visitors etc. because of Covid. She came out last week and all the neighbours came out and clapped as the ambulance men carried her indoors. This is horrible for you but try not to get too worried... easier said than done I know. I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best. You take care.

      Delete
    3. Cath, his right hip is broken and they are trying to schedule surgery for tomorrow (April 22). That would be followed by two weeks of rehab in a separate facility, and then locating a place where he can get the care he is going to need in the longer term.

      I admit that I'm a little frantic at this point because of not being able to be around while any of this is going on, including the rehab phase, and the one to follow that. He will be 98 six days from now, and even if he survives all of this, I doubt that he will ever be able to do much walking again. And trying to find new long term care for him without being able to eyeball the places for myself is a real nightmare.

      It's one day at a time, I suppose.

      Delete
    4. I'm not surprised you're frantic. Never a good time for someone elderly to break a hip but right *now* it's a nightmare. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you but I'm sure the hospital staff will be very caring given the circumstances. So hard though. And looking for a care home without being able to go and see it? That's not great. How are you even going to start with that? And are these places even taking new residents at the moment? Sending all my best wishes, Sam, and let me know how things are today when you have a moment.

      Delete
    5. Those are all good questions, Cath, and exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Plus, I'm concerned about inadvertently placing him in a building that has already had cases of the virus. I imagine that full disclosure would require that bit of information to be shared with prospective residents, but who knows what might happen in the real world?

      Still waiting to see if the cardiologist will allow the surgery to take place. So far the doctors and nurses have been very responsive to our situation, so things could, I suppose, be worse. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
    6. So glad that the Drs and nurses have been very responsive to your situation and I hope that continues. Any news about surgery? Crossing my fingers and hoping for a good outcome for you all.You take care.

      Delete
    7. The surgery seems to have gone well. There was one point where his blood pressure was dropping rapidly, but they were able to get that under control fairly quickly. I'm going to call the hospital in a few minutes to see how he is this morning. The plan was to have him stand up and put whatever weight on the hip he could tolerate.

      Delete
    8. The surgery has happened already? Excellent. And yes, they don't let you hang round in bed these days do they? Did you find out how he's doing?

      Delete
    9. He was doing pretty well the last time I was able to get hold of a nurse in his ward, Cath. I've spent most of the day researching longer term care facilities and talking to managers of a few of the facilities via telephone. It's really difficult to compare places without being able to step inside for a close look at them.

      Delete
    10. That's so good to hear, really good. My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery for him and out of hospital asap. Good luck with finding long term care, *such* a difficult time in which to do it so I really feel for you. When we looked many years ago for my mother-in-law we found it quite soul destroying and in the event it was unnecessary as she passed away before needing it. I wish you all the best.

      Delete
    11. I was finally able to speak with him this afternoon and he seems to be in good spirits and very accepting of whatever the future holds in store for him. He was sitting in a chair this morning and has begun to put some weight on the repaired hip to test his pain level and how he copes with it. Real rehab may start tomorrow or Sunday, it appears. Thanks, Cath.

      Delete
    12. I was going to ask how your dad is doing today so thanks for that. So pleased he's doing ok and it sounds like he has a good attitude. It seems to me that that generation is very tough. How're you doing with the long-term care search?

      Delete
    13. Making a little progress on the search, but I can't commit to much until I have a clearer picture of where he will be physically after the rehabilitation process is over. Same with his mental condition. He's in a confused state much of the afternoon and evening, and that's not a good sign. I worry about the permanent effect all of this trauma may have on his brain and memory.

      Delete
    14. Sorry to hear the search isn't going great. Understandable really until you know more about how he will be physically and mentally when he's discharged. I can see why you're concerned about the effect this will all have. And no sign of crisis being properly over either. So much to worry about now. You take care and I'll be thinking about you.

      Delete
    15. I haven't been on the computer very much at all, and am just reading this between my two blogging friends. I guess I don't see why you can't be tested and then proceed into facilities so you can judge for yourself, in person. If you don't have it, and if you have a mask and maintain distance, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be allowed. When all this began, we went to a nursing home to visit an old friend who had chosen to go into hospice. It was the day after the President's speech in March, and they said we couldn't enter. The woman died without seeing people a while later. It is a tough time. Your dad sounds amazing. Maybe we will all get more "accepting" as we approach 100. I'll now go on to other posts, and see what has happened since.

      Delete
    16. They tell me it's a Federal mandate that they be quarantined that way, Nan - or maybe it's a state thing; I can't remember for sure. But they aren't bending at all.

      Delete
  4. I like John Lithgow, but I'm not sure The Tomorrow Man is one I'm interested in. I'll just have to find reruns of 3rd Rock From the Sun if I want a Lithgow fix :)

    I got great news today concerning curbside pickup. My county library is going to start doing it on Wednesday! I'm so excited because I have a book on hold that I'm stoked to read. The library will be giving out holds this week; next week, they're going to start letting people reserve books online, then pick them up curbside. Yay! I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very definitely a strange movie, Susan, but the acting is wonderful, exactly what you would expect from Danner and Lithgow. Even though it's not one of my favorite movies, I enjoyed seeing Lithgow in something recent. He still has it.

      Glad to hear that your library is starting to offer curbside pickup at least one day a week, definitely a step in the right direction. I'm hoping that that becomes a regular thing here before long because the Governor said a couple of days ago that we need to start phasing some things back in ASAP.

      Delete
  5. Sam, this was a great update which gives readers much to think about. The oil situation is odd indeed. When I first got my license gas was about 30 cents a gallon (yes I'm dating myself) - same price as a loaf of bread, and then of course in more recent times we saw both go to over $4.00. Here gas is around $1.89/gal as of yesterday but, them last time I filled my tank was 4 weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, demand is a big, big part of the problem for oil producers right now. It is said to be down by about 70%. What we saw yesterday is the result of the world's storage facilities being largely filled to capacity already. When it was time to settle on deliveries for May, everyone realized that they had no place to store anymore new oil purchases, and the price tumbled because no buyers existed - at any price. The scariest thing is that a lot of small producers are going to disappear forever if this lasts much longer, meaning that the country will lose its energy independence. We will once again be dependent on the Saudis for our oil, even during national emergencies. That's not a good thing.

      I worked over 40 years, all over the world, in the industry and this is something I've never seen happen before. Those of my friends who are still working are scared to death that their jobs are about to disappear. Texas and North Dakota will really struggle to make any kind of economic recovery if this doesn't turn around relatively soon.

      Delete
  6. I'm beginning to think we'll never go back to the old normal. At least not until they have a good vaccine for this virus. Our governor has opened up our state parks here in Utah, too. But most other things remain closed. Schools are all online; libraries still inaccessible. And you never know what you'll find at the grocery store. But my family is well and we're doing okay, so I can't really complain. I thought that movie First Man was pretty good. And I love Patty Loveless! Have a good day...and keep staying safe! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I agree. The "old normal" is a thing of the past. Whatever passes for "normal" in the future will not be what it was before this Chinese pandemic slammed the rest of the world. It will be interesting to see what the permanent changes turn out to be, and I imagine that many of them will actually be changes for the better. But there is no doubt, too, that a lot of the things we took for granted before will never be the same.

      Stay well.

      Delete
  7. Hope your father is OK, Sam. Hospitals don't want anyone there, but those who absolutely must be, but still it is frightening to sit home and wonder about a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very frustrating, Jenclair. Trying to get information via telephone is proving to be very difficult, if not impossible. So many people are calling the main line that you are put on hold even before you can ask to be transferred someplace else.

      He's exactly one week from being 98 years old, so this is the worst possible thing that could be happening to him right now.

      Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.