Monday, April 06, 2020

Bookish Odds & Ends for Those Long Coronavirus Nights

Time to share a few bookish odds & ends I've enjoyed reading in the last few days (complete with links back to the original source articles):

Capitol Hill Books
1. I suppose this is not "legal" in about 90% of the country right now because of all the "Stay Home" orders out there, but what a great idea this is. What used-book bookstore fan would not enjoy an hour inside a bookstore all by themself?Washington D.C.'s Capital Hill Books recently allowed its patrons to book one-hour appointments to do exactly that. To get an idea of just how great this would be, take a look at Slate's "One Last Trip to the Bookstore." 

"I started on the first floor - history, mostly. When I found a book I wanted to buy, I merrily tossed it to the floor; the store was mine, after all, and I didn't need to carry my growing pile along with me today. I ran my glove-clad finger across spines like a stick across a fence, stopping at each title that seemed even a little bit interesting."


2. How about a reminder of how good it was back in the good old days before the word "quarantine" was on the tip of everyone's tongue...you know, all the way back to mid-March 2020.  Bill Hayes describes heading downtown to buy a book. Can you imagine? Read "Walking in the City Before the Bookstores Closed" at this Lit Hub link. 

"No one was allowed inside - Troy was sequestered behind the counter and Miriam was on the floor, standing halfway from the entrance - but if you'd 'Just call out the title of the book' you were looking for (or the author, or the genre), they'd find it for you. And they did!"

3. One Michigan library figures that your dogs are probably just as bored as you are right now. After all, they are not seeing their friends either. To fix that, the Ann Arbor District Library hosted a virtual-park event for dogs last Saturday. Rich Retyl, the library's AADL communications manager put it this way, " I think dogs are feeling a little left out." (Honestly, I think they are all in dog-heaven right now, trapped inside with their owners almost 24-7 for the foreseeable future.) Here's the "videoconference for dogs" scoop from MLive.com.


4. From the Guardian, comes a gathering of novelists who want to help you choose "books to inspire, uplift, and offer escape." Contributors include Hilary Mantel, Marlon James, Kazuo Ishiguro, Mark Haddon, Ayòbámi Adébáyò, Colm Tóibín, and a host of others. If you're looking for something to read during our more-or-less national confinement, this is a good place to start: "Novelists pick books..."

5. Wondering how authors are coping with our new stay-at-home culture? Well, wonder no more because this article from The Bookseller paints a pretty clear picture for you. And it's not a pretty one. Click here for "Lockdown: the author's perspective."

"Many authors live in a perpetual state of anxiety. Anxiety our books won't sell. Anxiety we won't get a new deal. 
Anxiety our reviews will suck.

So it goes without saying the past few weeks have taken those anxieties to a whole new level."

I hope you find some of these links interesting, and that they offer a little bit of a change-of-pace to the rest of your day. Hard to believe this is just the beginning of the fourth week of all this voluntary house-sitting for our own houses. Keep reading. Keep smiling. Stay well.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the links, Sam. I shall return and read a few over the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, my daily schedule is so weird these days, with us going to bed at two in the morning and getting up about eight, that I'm reading more and more of this kind of stuff. Unfortunately, it usually results in my TBR stack growing by leaps and bounds, so be careful.

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about how you must miss picking up your grandchild each day. Are you seeing any of your family besides your wife and father? Our local bookstore has curbside service. Like the restaurants and other shops. You call up and say what you want, and give your credit card and they put it outside for you! I'm just so delighted with this. I am someone who burns a candle each evening when I watch television - Acorn or Britbox pretty much only - and I was out so I could call my friend who has a store, and she put everything I asked for out on her porch. All the flower and vegetable growers are coming up with ideas in case the Farmers' Markets can't open. I keep in touch with all these people on Instagram and every one is cheery and optimistic and truly making the best of everything. My daughter says a lot of people she knows are feeling quite good about this slowing down of their lives. My grandkids seem very happy to be home and the parents are glad to be with them- no rushing from place to place. I hope that "after the virus" as my granddaughter calls it, the lessons learned with become part of their lives. Maybe we don't need to do so much, go so many places, make so many trips. I've loved the "need not want" aspect of all this. Our local Co-op says to try and take just what you need so there is enough for everyone. My heart is pretty full with all I've seen around me. I just pray everyone can stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I've noticed much the same here amongst my family and friends. The slow-down attitude is definitely having some positive effects on all of us. We've enjoyed that aspect of this, for the most part, but I do get a little stir-crazy every day or so and wish I could have morning coffee with friends again. I really miss that a lot.

      Luckily for us, not so much for my daughter, my grandson stays with us during the school year so he's here with us right now. He remarked yesterday that he hasn't gone anywhere since his March 11 haircut, and hard as that is to believe, he's right.He's a high school junior who is very familiar with online activities, so he's making good progress on his classes right now. In fact, I think he's doing better with online schooling than he was in the real classroom - he's ADD and very easily distracted.

      Let's hope that the whole world learns some positive things from this experience. Personally, I can't imagine right now that we will ever completely go back to the way we were before covid-19 - and that may not be a bad thing.

      Stay well, Nan.

      Delete
  3. I would LOVE to spend an hour in a bookstore browsing all by myself. Talk about a little bookish heaven. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a little piece of heaven for sure. And a great marketing tool for the indie bookstores out there, too.

      Delete
  4. I could go for an hour alone in a bookstore as well! I love to browse for books, but I don't love crowds getting in my way. Although my local indie has a big New Year's sale, which I attended with my daughter (back in January, when gathering was still a thing) and it was wall-to-wall people. It was hard to get around, but there was such a fun, upbeat, nerdy vibe with all those bookworms packed in there that it was actually quite enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'd settle for just about anything to get back inside a bookstore anytime soon. It's not looking like that's going to happen, and I'm wondering how long it will take for any of us to feel safe in a "crowd" of any size again. I'm betting it will be another year before I really do.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.