Monday, October 21, 2019

Emily Dickinson as Farce



I don't have Apple TV, and I don't know anyone who does, but I'm hoping that someone can tell me (after this premiers in early November) if their Dickinson series is as weird as it appears to be from this trailer. It is kinda-sorta based on the life of Emily Dickinson, but her story is shown through what some publicist calls "modern sense and sensibility." I just can't believe that this will really work. Is it an atrocity or will it somehow get the Millennials out there to at least recognize Emily Dickinson's name when they hear it? I'm tending to think "dud" more than "atrocity." (I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be good comedy, but based on what I see here I'm not holding my breath.)

I know they are not aiming this one at anyone even close to my age, but just what audience are they going for here? 12-year-old-girls-on-the-bookish-side seems to be a pretty small niche audience to be shooting for. Good luck with that, Apple TV.

4 comments:

  1. I saw the previews for this and thought it looked....unwatchable. I don't know who their audience is either. Certainly not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just weird. The lowbrow humor of this one would not generally appeal to anyone who has even a little bit of interest in Emily Dickinson as a poet. I don't get it at all.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.