Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Motherless Brooklyn - The Book Is Now a Movie



It's time for another "Movies for Readers" post, this time on the soon-to-be-released film called Motherless Brooklyn. This one is based on an award-winning 1999 book of the same title written by Jonathan Lethem.  

The movie stars William Dafoe, Bruce Willis, Alec Baldwin, and Edward Norton, but Norton was really the driving force behind getting the movie made. Norton started developing the novel into a film sometime in the early 2000s, and both Willis and Baldwin are said to have practically done the movie for free because of their friendship with Norton. Norton wrote, produced, and directed the movie.

1999 Book Cover and Author Jonathan Lethem

Shooting of the movie began in early 2018 but was halted because of an apartment building fire that started in an apartment being used as a movie set. A New York fireman was killed in the fire, and the fireman's widow (along with many residents of the building) ended up filing a lawsuit against Norton and his production company. Norton filed his own suit against the building owner, claiming that the man's negligence caused the fire and let it get out of hand before firefighters arrived. (It appears that this is all still ongoing - at least, I haven't been able to find any information regarding any kind of settlement of the suits.)

The story is set in 1950s Brooklyn and the main character of this hardboiled crime thriller is a private detective with Tourette Syndrome. I really like the look of this one, and it makes me want to go back and find the book, another one that flew right by me back in 1999 when it was published. I'm a big fan of Edward Norton and Bruce Willis, and I have generally been impressed by William DaFoe's work (and I can just about tolerate Alec Baldwin's acting) so this is one I want to see.

2 comments:

  1. Does anyone remember Bruce Willis in Moonlighting these days? Loved that show to bits but had no idea Willis was about to become a mega-star because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not a real big fan of that series but I do remember it and how popular it was. I think at the time that Cybil Shepherd was probably a bigger star than Bruce Willis, but it wasn't long before he surpassed her.

      Willis has turned into a pretty good character actor when he takes that kind of role, and I enjoy those films of his a lot more than I do him in something ike a Die Hard movie.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.