Saturday, November 02, 2019

A Blogging Dead Spot

I'm in one of those dead spots right now where I'm smack dab in the middle of three or four books without much of a chance that I'll finish even one of them in the next two or three days. That's the kiss of death for a blogger like me who has already skipped posting anything for a couple of days and shoots for four or five new posts per week. And it seems like I'm more easily distracted by shiny new books this week than I usually am. Throw in the fact that I've been writing a few reviews that I can't post right now because the books don't publish for another two or three months (no way I could resist reading them early), and there's not been much happening on Book Chase this week.

I guess the good news is that I'm reading two of the best books I've read all year: Ann Patchett's The Dutch House and The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger. Ann Patchett has been a favorite of mine for a few years now, but The Gifted School is the first thing from Holsinger that I've ever read. I suppose that's not too surprising, however, considering that this is only Holsinger's third novel. Too, I'm nearing the end of The Hanging Valley, Peter Robinson's fourth Inspector Banks novel (1992), a series I've enjoyed catching up on. 

From book jacket: "At the end of the Second World War, Cyril Conroy combines luck and a single canny investment to build an immense real estate empire, propelling his family from poverty to enormous wealth. His first order of business is to buy the Dutch House, a lavish estate in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Meant as a surprise for his wife, the house sets in motion the undoing of everyone he loves."

Beautifully written.


From the book jacket: "Good schools, stately homes, safe neighborhoods, all set against a beautiful landscape. What else could a family want? It was with high hopes for the future that four young couples separately chose Crystal, Colorado, as the place to raise their children over a decade ago. Finding one another as friends further buoyed them over the ensuing years, as they juggled the stresses of parenthood, careers, and marriage. Even now, as the kids head for middle school, their individual interests and abilities becoming more and more distinct, the groups of families remain tight. But then an exclusive new school is introduced into the mix - an elite new standard to meet - it represents, at long last, one pressure too many."

This one is billed as satire, and maybe it is, but it is also a damning look at American parents and the way they compete with each other through their children.

I am loving both of these. Unfortunately, I'm fighting library due dates on both of them, so I'm reading as fast as I can, but I find myself at the same time suddenly being overly distracted by sports, podcasts, and technology advancements (I bought a pair of the new Apple AirPods Pro that are absolutely stunning). Even turning back the clocks an hour tonight is not going to help me very much, I'm afraid.      (#firstworldproblems)

12 comments:

  1. I just finished The Dutch House (no review yet) and LOVED it so much. Tom Hanks narrated the audio and took on the role of Danny perfectly. The Gifted School sounds good as well.

    I'm also attracted to the newest releases, which sometimes make me sad as all those beautiful unread books remain on my shelves while I keep adding new books to the holds list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audiobook version sounds good...Tom Hanks is the perfect voice for Danny. Now I'll read the rest of the book with that voice and delivery in my head. LOL

      The Gifted School nails our culture perfectly. I'm loving the book and I'm surprised that my new favorite character is one I really didn't like or respect for the first third of the book.

      I know what you mean about all those shelved, unread books...I'm running out of shelf space and will have to do a cull again very soon.

      Delete
  2. "Cull" such a sad word. Maybe just buy or build some new shelves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could find the space for more shelving, Nan, but I've maxed out both the available space and my wife's patience. :-)

      Delete
  3. The Dutch House is already on my list, and maybe I should add The Gifted School as well. I have so many books in the queue right now--I need to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finishing The Gifted School today and will be recommending it to all. It's a brilliant look at what can happen when parents start to judge themselves by what their children do or do not achieve. I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. Just laughing at Nan's comments. :-D

    That new Ann Patchett sounds excellent but The Gifted School especially so. I've always interested myself in education, not just my own two daughters but my grandkids too and it's been so fascianting watching them progress. My grand-daughter actually did go to a gifted school, state funded not private, for Maths and Physics, so the book might resonate with me a bit. I'll check the library catalogue but if not my Kindle might be getting yet another new book added to the 'black hole'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, The Gifted School looks at what happens when parents get too competitive for their own good and how destructive that kind of behavior can be to their children - and to every other relationship in their lives. It's satirical, and aa little bit over the top, but it is well written and very entertaining, too.

      Boy, do I know what you mean about the Kindle Black Hole...way too many of my books have gone there to die a quiet death.

      Delete
  5. Glad to know the Ann Patchett book is a good one. I want to read it, but I doubt I'll get to it anytime soon. THE GIFTED SCHOOL is one I've seen around, but I hadn't read the blurb until now. Sounds like an interesting premise. I'm definitely going to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the Patchett book this afternoon and I enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit of the kind of novel that Ann Tyler writes. If you are familiar with Tyler, that might help a bit.

      I just posted a review of The Gifted School a few minute ago. It's a hard one to review, in a way, because there are so many characters and so many way to spoil the one. I'm short on details, as a result, but I really did like the book.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.