Tuesday, June 25, 2019

You Can't Read without Decent Eyesight - And I'm Working on That One Tomorrow

Tomorrow marks the first step in a process that will hopefully restore some of the vision I've lost over the past four or five years due to having macular degeneration and cataracts in both eyes.  
There's absolutely nothing that can be done for the type of macular degeneration I have other than to continue taking the vitamin/mineral supplement that I have already been taking twice a day for over four years.  If doctors are correct, that supplement does have a good chance of at least stabilizing the problem for a long time to come - and actually seems to have done that so far.  But the cataracts can be dealt with, one-at-a-time, and my right eye is scheduled for some attention early tomorrow morning.

The surgery, though, does require that special care be taken in order that the eye heal properly.  Other than the eye drops (which I can deal with easily) and special care not to bump the eye, that means that my right eye cannot be used for "heavy reading" for the next week.  Well, "heavy reading" is the only kind I do, so that will take some getting used to, but I think I can manage it with one eye.  But as soon as the process is over with the right eye, the same thing will have to be done with the left, so this is going to take a while  - things should finally be back to normal by the beginning of August, but that seems like a long, long time from now.

And in a case of rather poor timing, I see that I have some scheduled deadlines looming in the next two-to-six weeks that may suffer, so I wanted to explain what was going on down here in case I seem to be slowing down or even disappear for a bit.

I'm actually looking forward to the eye surgery because I've been living every avid reader's nightmare for way too long as my sight steadily deteriorated.  I cannot imagine ever losing sight to the degree that I would lose the ability to read a book and write about the experience. I have been an avid reader since I was five years old, and I plan to remain one to the end.  Your eyes are precious commodities, guys.  Take good care of them.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck for tomorrow, Sam. I gather once it's healed it's very successful and people thrilled with the improvement. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to it, Cath, so thanks. It's really become a struggle to read comfortably this last year or so, so it almost has to be better even though the immediate improvement won't solve the bigger, longer term problem.

      Delete
  2. Good luck, Sam. Taking care of your eyes isn't something to put off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably waited longer than I should have, Jenclair. I can't wait to see what happens. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Losing your eyesight is definitely every book lover's worst nightmare. Good luck with the surgery. I hope everything goes well and that you are able to get some noticeable improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It should definitely be an improvement because of the lens implant. The longterm problem is something I can't fix, but hopefully that's a few years away from becoming noticeably worse..

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.