Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Lonesome Dove, A Prayer for Owen Meany, & Spooner - First Paragraphs Sell a Book

I got to thinking this morning about some of my favorite books and how vivid they still are in my mind despite the fact that it has been decades, in some cases, since I've read them.  That made me curious as to exactly what would pop into my head by reading the first pages of a few of them.  And that in turn made me realize just how brilliant some of those first few sentences are.

A book right up at the top of my "Favorites" list is Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.  I love everything about that book: the relationship between Augustus McCrae and W.F. Call; the book's contrasting laugh-out-loud humorous episodes and tear-jerking tragedies; the numerous supporting characters who are so important to the story; and the inclusion of one of the darkest literary villains I've ever encountered, the infamous Blue Duck. But I didn't know any of that would happen to me until I had turned the last of the 843 pages following this short-but-truly-sweet opening paragraph:
"When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake - and not a very big one.  It had probably just been crawling around looking for shade when it ran into the pigs.  They were having a fine tug-of-war with it, and its rattling days were over.  The sow had it by the neck, and the shoat had the tail."

Another favorite author of mine is John Irving, and one of my favorite John Irving books is A Prayer for Owen Meany.  And now that I think about it, this one shares a lot of the characteristics I love so much in Lonesome Dove, primarily of course, the remarkable friendship between the book's two main characters.  Irving's opening Owen Meany paragraph sets the stage well for what is to come:
"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.  I make no claims to have a life in Christ, or with Christ - and certainly not for Christ, which I've heard some zealots claim.  I'm not very sophisticated in my knowledge of the Old Testament, and I've not read the New Testament since my Sunday school days, except for those passages that I hear read aloud to me when I go to church.  I'm somewhat more familiar with the passages from the Bible that appear in The Book of Common Prayer.  I read my prayer book often, and my Bible only on holy days - the prayer book is so much more orderly."

Pete Dexter (another longtime favorite) has written some truly wonderful novels, and sometimes I think that Spooner is as underrated as it is because everyone prefers to talk about others of his like Paris Trout, Deadwood, or maybe The Paperboy.  But next to Deadwood, this one from 2009 is my favorite, probably because I find it so funny and just so damned clever.  Note again, that this is another book about a lifelong relationship between two very different people (this time, a boy and his step-father). It starts like this:
"Spooner was born a few minutes previous to daybreak in the historic honeysuckle little town of Milledgeville, Georgia, in a makeshift delivery room put together in the waiting area of the medical offices of Dr. Emil Woods, across the street from and approximately in the crosshairs of a cluster of Confederate artillery pieces guarding the dog-spotted front lawn of the Greene Street Sons of the Confederacy Retirement Home.  It was the first Saturday of December 1956, and the old folks' home was on fire." 
 A good first paragraph is one of the most important tools an author has available to grab my book-browsing attention - usually quickly and in less than 100 words.  I can learn more about the style and readability of an author from an opening paragraph than I will ever gather from a canned dust jacket summary or some blurb from a fellow author of the writer's that I wouldn't believe in a million years anyway.  That old you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours trick doesn't fool me anymore.

The three I've reproduced above worked perfectly for/on me.  I would likely have ended up with all three of the books on my shelves anyway because I was already a fan of these three authors before first setting eyes on these three particular novels - but even if I had been a reader being exposed to McMurtry, Irving, or Dexter for the first time, I'm pretty sure that the books would have come home with me.

6 comments:

  1. Those are some great openings! The first line or two can make or break a book for me; if I'm not feeling it right from the start there's a very good chance I won't be reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much the same way, and I always figure that an author is trying to make the best first impression possible. So it that extra effort doesn't cut it or mesh with my reading personality, it's a bad sign. I've been wrong plenty of times, though, and was happy in the end that I slugged my way through a less than stellar first chapter or two. You just never know, but putting the odds in your favor is always a good thing because all of us can only read so much, so why waste reading days or weeks on something we don't ultimately get something out of.

      Delete
  2. First few paragraphs do make a difference. I can't believe I never read Lonesome Dove yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you HAVE to read Lonesome Dove. So much happens in that book and it has such great characters sprinkled throughout that I completely lost myself in that one for the week or so it took me to read it. Still in my top five modern all time favorites.

      Delete
  3. I loved LONESOME DOVE when I read it a number of years ago. I can't remember the story anymore, so it's definitely time for a re-read. I haven't read the other two you mentioned. In fact, I've never even heard of SPOONER. It has a great opening line, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Spooner is really underrated, IMO, and it's hard to explain why. Pete Dexter had fairly recently one a National Book Award, etc. and maybe the critics tried to compare Spooner to that one. I got an ARC of it before I knew anything much about it, and then went out and bought the hard copy version so I'd have something more durable for my shelves. Maybe it's just me, but I loved it.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.