Saturday, June 08, 2019

The Goldfinch - Why Do I Still Hate This Novel So Damn Much?

I wish I could understand the visceral negative reaction I had to Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch when I read it back in December 2013 because to this day I still despise everything about that reading experience - and if I understood why that is, I would be able to avoid anything like that ever happening to me again.  The book, which went on to win the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, was already a darling of the critics in late 2013 so I expected to really enjoy it and even forked out for the hardcover version.  In fact, I was already a fan of Tartt's writing, having enjoyed both The Secret History back in 1993 and The Little Friend in 2004.  But something went terribly wrong this time and I had to force myself to return to The Goldfinch enough times to finish it. 

And after I finally turned its last page with a big sigh of relief, I decided not to review the book because I couldn't stand the thought of spending any more time with its characters in my head.  I can only even find one ever mention of it on Book Chase, and that was only to include it in a post I did about twenty-first century Pulitzer Prize winners in early 2015. Even then, I couldn't force myself to say much about the book although my aversion to it is obvious:
"Novel with one of the weakest and most unlikable main characters I have encountered in years, this is my least favorite of the twenty-first century's winners.  Frankly, I found its message to be a worthy one, but one that was so pretentiously delivered (especially the novel's last few pages) that, in the long run, I regretted wasting reading time on it."

All I can figure is that the main character and his buddy repulsed me so completely by their enthusiastic embrace of the drug culture that I didn't want to spend any time with them there - even via the pages of a book.  I found them so weak and so willing to throw their lives away - and to destroy the lives of others in the process - that I could find not one empathetic bone in my body for them.  It got so bad that I would have preferred the author just to kill them off and shorten the novel by fifty pages or so, even more if that were possible.


The reason I'm writing this is that I just stumbled upon the trailer for a movie version of The Goldfinch that is apparently being released this September.  I watched the trailer out of curiosity, and all those negative feelings about the book immediately came back to me.  So let's just say that I'm not going to make the same mistake with the movie that I made with the book.




I always find it difficult to give an answer when someone asks me what my favorite book of all time is because I've enjoyed too many great reading experiences over the years to be able to choose just one - or ten.  But if anyone ever asks me which book, of the several thousand I've read, that I hate the most, I know exactly what title will pop into my head before they finish asking the question.  So there's that.

Here's a link to that 2015 Pulitzer Prize post in which I first forced myself to write something about The Goldfinch.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Was it plot/character issues for you, too? I wish I had known more about the book before I bought it - the hype got to me.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha. I haven't read this book or anything by the author, but I can't say that I'm really clamoring to. Your thoughts on this book just reaffirm the feeling that I probably wouldn't like it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cringe when I see the cover. That's become my literary trigger. LOL

      Delete
  3. I'll be very curious about the movie - The Goldfinch. I liked this one as well as her earlier book, The Secret History, which I can still recall reading on the beach in Aruba in the early 2000s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Secret History was definitely one of my favorite books the year it came out, and is still my favorite Tartt book. That's why my reaction to this one still sort of mystifies me. I know it's not her writing that bugs me, so that pretty much only leaves plot and characters...especially the characters.

      Delete
  4. It was the incessant, incredibly boring drug use. I had just finished trying to read a David Sedaris memoir, filled with incessant, incredibly boring drug use. I, too, struggled all the way through The Goldfinch, and it was just an incredibly stupid book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Mike. Well said. The bottom line of this one really is how terribly boring it is.

      Delete
  5. I have still to finish it. I don't know why I don't quit reading it, I keep thinking there must be something great about it, but I hate it so much. It's trash. Theo and Boris are disgusting human beings. There are so many times I am bored with this Pulitzer Prize novel. Is it just me? Apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just you. I still hate this one with a passion...and wouldn't watch the movie version if someone paid me to watch it.

      Delete
  6. I hated The Goldfinch so much that I've given away two copies of The Secret History: I read the description, get excited, get the book, then get home and remember that I was miserable the whole time reading Goldfinch (only read it because of my book club). It needed serious editing if they wanted a decent book. Hated most of the characters and felt like almost every scene was described/played out three times. I'd put it down, pick it up the next day and think "but I have already read this." Went back a few times and realized she described the same thing over and over again. Aaaagggghhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right. I'm still running into people who absolutely abhor everything about this one. But giving away copies of her other book beats even my personal reaction to it. :-)

      Delete
  7. The first 100 pages are tripe. Overblown, tedious and unnecessary! Where was the editor on this one? This book was screaming for a red pencil to strike out most of this. How this won a Pulitzer is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so pleased when these pompous writers who decorate the homes of the bourgeoisie are punctured. Yeah, we all go to small private colleges or hang out in art museums watching the oil paintings that are there in loan from some oil sheikh or banking family’s tax avoidance scheme.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.