Saturday, May 14, 2016

Wasp Stings and Broken Hips

Although it's only been a few days, it feels like an eternity since I've posted anything "live" to Book Chase.  Unfortunately, there's a good reason for my absence: a hospital stay now in its ninth day.

Last Friday (May 6...can't even blame it on being a Friday the 13th) I was sweeping my driveway when an agresssive swarm of wasps decided I was too close for comfort - theirs.  After being stung once, I wheeled around and started running in the other direction, forgetting that I was still carrying the broom...which I decided to trip over.  One broken hip and one surgery later, I'm now in my fifth day of rehab aimed at getting the leg strong enough to make it safe for me to go home.  

Just wanted to check in and say hello...trying to read here but the pain meds keep me too sleepy to concentrate for long stretches of time, so I'm kind of disappointed in the few number of pages being consumed during my rehab downtime.  I've posted a couple of reviews that were pre-scheduled and I have one more coming on May 19 (I hope).  I'm learning that the Blogger software and an iPad do not play well together, though, so everything may have a different look to it for a while.

More later...I hope.

8 comments:

  1. Ouch !!! As someone who is deathly allergic to wasps, I probably would have done the same thing, although perhaps without the broom trick.

    Take care and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the wisest of choices on my part since I'm not allergic to their sting, but the sight of that many ticked off things with wings headed toward my face kicked in my "flight" reflex before I had time to think. I have plans to speak to them when I get home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Sam! That was not your day! Pretty soon you'll be back blogging more and better than ever. A wasp is building a nest on mom's patio. We've been eyeing each other in an adversarial way...the wasp and me, that is..not Mom and me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye on that critter, Susan. They are little but they pack the kind of punch that can break bones. Get them before they get you. (Of course, my advice is shown to be worthless as a result of where I am typing these words from tonight.)

      Delete
  4. I was wondering if everything was okay. You're a fairly regular blogger, so when you didn't blog ....
    Here's wishing speedy healing and no further close encounters with the stinging kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. I have always particularly hated the brand of wasp we called as kids "yellow jackets." I'm not sure if that's the correct name for them, but seem to hate me every bit as much as I hate them. And they usually win our encounters.

      Delete
  5. Yikes, how unlucky. Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much a freak accident, Rob...with me being the "freak" in that equation. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.