Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tool Rentals at Libraries? Seriously?

I don't know what to think about this NBC news clip about a new "trend" in what is on offer at public libraries.  Even though I can see the usefulness of the new library offerings, I have to wonder how this kind of thing impacts the buying of...you know, books.  

I love my county library system but I really don't think I would be thrilled to see my tax dollars go toward the purchase of tools, toys, cameras, and the like.  For me, a library will always mean books, be they audio, electronic, or physical - plus computer access for research.  For a traditionalist like me, music CDs and movie DVDs are already pushing the envelope far enough.

Take a look at the video I've linked to here and let me know how you feel about something like this.  Maybe I'm just getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.