Tuesday, December 29, 2009

End-of-Year Stats




Another year is done and I've managed to pull together some end-of-year numbers that reflect the kind of reading year 2009 was for me. I find that I was fairly consistent from month-to-month with my reading but that I had extended periods during which nothing really impressed me as being even remotely special. Sometimes when that happens I think I'm more to blame than the authors because I do seem to go in streaks of mediocre books vs. really good books. I wonder how much a reader's mood has to do with his reaction to a book, even to a classic?



Anyway, here's what 2009 looked like for me:
Number of Books Read = 124
Fiction = 86
Nonfiction = 38

Novels - 85
Short Story Collections = 1

Memoirs = 11
Biographies = 9
True Crime = 4
Essay Collections = 2
Sociology = 5
Business = 2
Health = 1
Education = 1
Current Events = 3

Written by Men = 80
Written by Women = 42
Co-Authored = 2

Abandoned = 10
Review Copies = 79
Translations = 4
E-Books = 7
Audio Books = 7

Author Nationality:

British = 13
Irish = 1
Canadian = 2
Spanish = 1
Iranian = 2
American = 105
I don't usually start the year with reading goals, but I think I'll do that this year without getting extremely specific about my aims. In general terms, though, I hope to read more from the rest of the world, a little more nonfiction, more short story collections, a series or two, more classics and more from some of my favorite genres. That should be vague enough to give me an alibi for whatever I fail to do by this time next year.

12 comments:

  1. An awesome year, Sam. Your numbers are impressive. I hope 2010 is as great a year for you if not better, reading and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did have a terrific year, although . . . actually, it's still 2009. Are you just assuming you won't finish any more books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 79 review copies! Wow. I'm impressed. I'm still getting only one to three a month, though I am being much more picky about what I ask for thesedays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful 2010 -- reading and otherwise.

    Loved your stats, the breakdown. I must get mine together. Very surprised at how you read so much more fiction than nonfiction this year.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting year end post. I like your stats; I may steal a few of your categories for next year! I seem to have streaks of mediocre reading as well, when nothing appears terribly impressive. This year I was superbly fortunate and could hardly limit myself to a top ten, though. I also like your reading plans - vague directions are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always start the new year with goals or plans (as I like to think of them) and then go off and read something else! :) You had an impressive reading year. I really would like to read more NF--maybe next year. Happy Reading in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Ted. It's always good to hear from you. Here's to a great year in every way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. BookFool, I pretty much could already tell where I would end up - and my count turned out to be correct, in the end...although I barely finished number 124 before we left for a New Year's Eve party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. C.B., I got pretty picky this year but so many interesting books were made available to me that I couldn't resist them. I have to cut back this year, though, (way back) because I'm not being able to get to some other reading I want to do. I never thought I'd say that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzi, the fiction/nonfiction ratio is not too out of line for me. I really love novels and they eat into my time to the point that I have to consciously work the nonfiction books into my schedules. But since I love biography and history, that's not real hard to do if I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie, I do think it's the reader's state-of-mind that puts us into those stretches of time during which nothing feels "good."

    It doesn't do me much good to post specific reading plans; they never happen. I have the same success rate with all these challenges that so many bloggers seem to thrive on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great year, Danielle. I'm starting to look at plans as a starting point, and the vaguer, the better, they seem to work out. It makes it much easier for me to explain my failures at the end of each year.

    ReplyDelete

THE PROBLEM WITH COMMENTS SEEMED TO HIT A PEAK ON SEPTEMBER 4. THERE WERE MULTIPLE REPORTS FROM ALL OVER, AND GOOGLE FINALLY PAID ATTENTION TO THE PROBLEM, SO FOR NOW, AT LEAST, IT'S PROBLEM SOLVED.