Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Road Trip!

Military Memorial along the river in Owensboro, Kentucky

I'm off bright and early tomorrow morning (before dawn, so it won't actually be very bright), to start a 20-hour drive to Owensboro, KY, to attend a 4-day bluegrass music festival there with a few friends from my Real Country Music website. I haven't mentioned it often on this site, but real country music is a second obsession of mine and I spend a lot of time at the RCM website and working on our RAM Radio internet radio station so this is a trip I've looked forward to making ever since I returned from last year's Ownesboro festival.

I'm going to bring my laptop with me, and the hotel promises access to high speed wireless internet connection, so I'm hoping to stay in touch here as well. And, of course, I'm bringing three or four books with me because I find it almost impossible to get much sleep in a hotel room and will need something to get me through those long nights.

Books and bluegrass music. It doesn't get much better than that.

Part of the Cherryholmes family from last year's festival

10 comments:

  1. I have relatives in Owensboro. Went there for a wedding a few years ago. Nice city. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there for the first time last year, Stephanie, and really enjoyed my few days there. I'm hoping to make this annual bluegrass festival as often as possible.

    Thanks, it should be a great four days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great trip. Books and music, a nice combo. Hope you sleep better than you think you will :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I hope so, too, but I have a hard enough time just getting five good hours of sleep a night at home. I'll be lucky to get 3-4 a night there. But luckily it doesn't bother me too much.

    In fact, I'm getting so antsy about the trip that I've started loading up the car and I plan to leave about 8:00 tonight rather than at 5:00 tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a great time Sam. I know that antsy feeling! I am leaving soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun! I have relatives in Owensboro, although I've never been there myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I ended up driving for 17 hours, a total of 1,040 miles. I made it about 3 hours quicker than I did the trip last year because I found that large parts of the interstate system in Mississippi and Alabama are pretty deserted in the early hours of the morning. I saw dozens and dozens of big trucks pulled over at "communal" exits where the drivers were all sleeping. That allowed me to set the cruise control and just coast on in...but that was sort of a problem in that the lack of effort made me pretty sleepy around three this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a nice town, bybee. I just woke up from a three hour nap, the first sleep that I got in over 30 hours, and I'm about to go out to see if the town has changed since last June when I was here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, myutopia. I brought a digital camera with me again this year and hope to get lots of pictures...pictures that I can bore friends, family, and you guys with...

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.