Monday, August 21, 2023

What I'm Reading This Week (August 21)

 I read quite a number of pages last week, but in the process, I still ended up acquiring several more books than I completed. I met up with my brother in a neighboring small town for lunch and a quick swap of books, and came home with four new ones that way - but I managed to give him over twenty at the same time, so I created some shelf space via the swap (a really good thing). Now add in three review copies that came in through the mail, along with five library pick-ups, and I'm more stacked up than ever. 

I did finish three of the books I began the week reading and decided to return one other to the library unread because I was just not feeling at all excited about even beginning it. Also, I'm about 70% done with the week's other two selections and enjoying both of them, so all in all, it was a successful week. The in-progress books are Satan Is Real by Charlie Louvin (a Louvin Brothers bio) and the apocalyptic novel The Revivalists by Christopher M. Hood. Both of those should be finished and reviewed here this week. 

Here are the new ones on the horizon:

American Ramble is one of those long-walk books I'm so fond of. In this case, Neil King Jr. recounts the highlights of his hike from his Washington DC home all the way to New York City. King is a recent cancer survivor, and his aim for the rest of his life is to truly relish and get the most out of every day he has left. With that in mind, he is walking backroads with a planned schedule in mind, but is still willing to let serendipity rule the day whenever he crosses the paths of interesting people or places.

Patrick deWitt first came to my attention a while back with his novel The Sisters Brothers, and I've been a fan ever since. The Librarianist is the fictional biography of a now 71-year-old former librarian who lives alone, has no friends to speak of, and is looking for a new purpose in life. The book begins as Bob Comet stumbles upon a lost elderly woman in a convenience store and walks her back to the facility from which she's wandered away. The bulk of the book, though, is a flashback to Bob's life before that fateful day. 

Sometimes it feels like I've been a James Lee Burke fan forever, so I've been looking forward to Flags on the Bayou for a while. It's the story of Civil War Louisiana as seen through the eyes of several alternating characters: a slave woman, an elderly plantation owner, that plantation owner's pacifist nephew, the local sheriff, and the leader of a renegade band of former Confederate regulars who is terrorizing that part of the state, among them. It's a novel that reads quickly but tells an intriguing tale. Not sure yet just how realistic a tale, but...we'll see.

I've lost count of exactly how many of the Akashic Books noir short story collections I've read now, but it must be at least twenty of them. Each of the collections is very dark, in the old style, and most of the stories are written by writers native to, or who have other close ties to, the city in the title. Some of the authors are world famous, of course, but some of the best stories always come from writers I was introduced to for the first time in these collections. I'm anxious to get into this one to see how it compares those I've already read.

I see that William Ryan's The Constant Soldier was initially published in 2016, but I recently acquired an early-read copy of this soon to be published edition of the novel. It's set in Germany during World War II, and its main character is a man who has returned home after having been terribly disfigured in battle. He soon learns of a "rest camp" for SS officers that is nearby, and that a woman whose arrest he feels responsible for is one of the women being forced to work there. 

Nick Hornby is another of those guys I've been a fan of for a long time. Hornby is kind of all over the map, but Dickens and Prince seemed like kind of a stretch even for Hornby before I started reading it. Hornby believes that Charles Dickens and recording star Prince shared a particular kind of genius that made them as awesomely productive as they were - especially while both were still in their twenties. I have to say he's making a strong argument in favor of his case.

So that's where my Monday morning begins. But Monday is going to be a lost reading day because I'm off to the town I grew up in (about 110 miles southeast of here) to have lunch with a few folks I graduated high school with way back in the mid-sixties. I do hope you all have wonderful books lined up for the week, too...can't wait to hear all about them.

15 comments:

  1. First - do you get PBS? And does your station offer a program called Tell Me More? If so, one of her interviews is with Nick Hornby. It is quite wonderful, with quite a bit of talk about Dickens and Prince! Series 4, episode 7 2022.
    And oh, the Louvin brothers! What voices.
    A fun lunch for you. I hope you write about it. Are these people you see regularly or has it been a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good reading for you this week. American Ramble totally looks like your kind of book. Enjoy your lunch! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. Just about to leave now for the two-hour drive down there. It's so hot here that I can barely find the energy to drive that far. It reached 106 yesterday, and supposed to hit 106 again today, with 107 on Wednesday. Unbelievable.

      Delete
  3. I don't have access to our PBS station anymore because we cut the cable TV cord a couple of years ago. I've noticed a few interviews with Hornby on YouTube, so I'll see if I can find something with him discussing Prince and Dickens. Thanks for that.

    I last saw some of the people I'll be seeing today last March. But that was the first time I'd seen most of them in decades. Now they do a monthly lunch get-together, but this is the first time I've decided to drive down for one...it's a four-hour roundtrip.

    Yes...the Louvin Brothers were special; they were part of the golden age in country music. The bio is quite revealing and blunt about their rather tragic lives. It's been fun to play their music in the background as I read two or three chapters at a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not have cable, but for $5/month to our state public television, we get to see lots and lots of great programs, and notj just recent. Many series, many nonfiction. I am very happy with it. Here it is called "passport".This is my state one, but it will give you an idea of it.

      Delete
    2. I think ours is the same...but more expensive, if I remember right. I've been meaning to look more into it because I do miss some of their programming, especially Masterpiece.

      Delete
  4. I think it's a big win to leave home with 20 books and come back with just 4! American Ramble sounds excellent and I'll be curious to hear what you think of The Librarianist. The premise sounds pretty interesting, but I'm seeing mostly lukewarm reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely a win, JoAnn. I'm maybe half-a-point above lukewarm at about the midway point in The Librarianist, although it does remind me a little of an Ann Tyler type of plot, too. I think my complaint is going to be, if anything, too much backstory and not enough happening in the care center for the elderly.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know that you are an avid reader, so the fact that all of these are new to you emphasizes to me just how many books are being published nowadays.

      Delete
  6. "Book update! Exchanged reads, grabbed more. Finished 3, returned 1. Immersed in "Satan Is Real" and "The Revivalists." Ready for the stroll with "American Ramble." Love how books keep surprising me! 📚🎉 #BookObsessed"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you and your brother have book swaps. My younger sister and I would do the same if only she lived closer to me! We once went to a bookstore together and when we came together after browsing separately, we were both holding copies of the same book. We hadn't talked about it beforehand, we just have very similar reading tastes. LOL.

    THE CONSTANT SOLDIER sounds intriguing. I hadn't heard of it before, so I'll definitely take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother has recently rediscovered the pleasures of reading now that he has finally retired from his hectic job, one that kept him too busy to indulge in much reading for pleasure. So, it's been fun to exchange books with him and offer a few suggestions about what he's missed and needs to read. He has all the enthusiasm of a new reader right now, and I'm loving that.

      Constant Soldier is turning out to be much better than I thought it would be even. I'm just over halfway through it, and it's about to reach a climax that will change, I suspect, the course of the rest of the book. I think you would like it.

      Delete
  8. I am interested in The Librarianist. I have two other books by Patrick deWitt, including The Sisters Brothers, but haven't read anything by him yet.

    My husband is reading a book by William Ryan right now, The Winter Guest written as W.C. Ryan. He also read an earlier book by William Ryan, set in Russia (The Holy Thief).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The construction of The Librarianist is really odd to me, and I'm growing a little impatient with it. I think others may have criticized the same thing, keeping the book's overall rating fairly average. I'm kind of wishing the plot had gone another direction early on, but it's not going to happen.

      I'll have to look at those other Ryan books, because I really like his style and what he has to say about WWII and the Germans in this one. Thanks for those.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.