Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Constant Soldier - William Ryan

 


There is a lot of World War II fiction out there to choose from, but William Ryan's The Constant Soldier takes one of the more unusual approaches to the subject I've come across in a while. The narrator of Ryan's story is a young man who is only in the German army at all because he and a young woman had been arrested in occupied Poland as suspected agitators. Given the choice of army or prison, Paul Brandt chose the military option.

Now he is back home, a terribly maimed soldier who is pitied by most of his neighbors, but resented by many others because of his service to the Germans. Brandt is not proud of what he did on the Eastern Front, and he is battling demons of his own making. Then on one of the long walks Brandt uses to calm himself, he spots what he will later learn is a "rest hut" for the SS officers running the Auschwitz concentration camp twenty miles away. Appallingly, he also recognizes one of the female prisoners being forced to work in the rest hut, the very woman for whose arrest he still feels a terrible responsibility.

Now he has to find a way to keep her alive.

What William Ryan offers here is more than the usual war thriller. The Constant Soldier provides insight into the mindset of the SS officers and the civilian population surrounding the camp. As the novel evolves, some of the officers will recognize the evilness of what they have done but others will still take pleasure from what they do every day. Polish civilians, already under suspicion for simply being Polish, will manage to form a resistance of sorts, but most will have to resign themselves to simply trying to keep their own families alive. 

All the elements of a thriller are here, but it is Ryan's exploration of the minds of characters on both sides of the fight that make The Constant Soldier such a standout in the World War II historical fiction genre.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds very good. Definitely from a different perspective than I have read before. I will have to find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that this has been previously published Tracy. I was working from a review copy of an edition that is due to be published, I think, on November 7. So if you find one before than, be expecting a different cover. I think you'd enjoy this one.

      Delete
    2. I think you are right, Sam, looks like it was first published in 2016. Thanks for the info, I would have been confused. But I would rather find an older copy anyway if I can.

      Delete
    3. I'm surprised it's being republished so soon; usually that happens when a movie is being made from the book, but I haven't seen anything about there being something like that in the works. Glad it was re-published, though, or I would have missed it.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.