Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Review: Demon Copperhead

 


 This time for sure, the Pulitzer Prize people got it right. Only once before do I remember reading a novel this long (546 pages) and wishing that it had been another 500 pages long - and that other one also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. 

Simply put, Demon Copperhead is a fiction masterpiece. For almost two weeks now I've felt as if I were living deep in the heart of the most poverty-stricken and drug-riddled communities of Appalachia as everything collapsed around me. Here, using the theme (that institutional poverty damages children almost beyond recovery) and basic structure of the Charles Dickens novel David Copperfield, Barbara Kingsolver examines the death and destruction pushed upon the poorer communities of America by the Purdue crime family of such "Big Pharma" notoriety. 

The book's narrator is a boy who is born on the floor of a single-wide house trailer to a destitute teenager who has no means or abilities to support herself, much less herself plus a new baby. Even worse, the boy's father, a young man who might have made all the difference in their lives, did not live to see the birth of his son. Somehow, the boy survives his unattended entrance into the world despite the odds and the addictions of his mother.

"Demon Copperhead" himself begins to tell his story right from the beginning with the words,

"First, I got myself born. A decent crowd was on hand to watch, and they've always given me that much: the worst of the job was up to me, my mother being let's just say out of it."

 ...giving readers get just a hint of the wild ride they are about to embark upon.

Orphaned at an early age, Demon depends for his survival on the kindness of the elderly couple who had let his mother live in the trailer he was born in. But it is only a matter of time before the system steps in and takes over "on his behalf," and after that happens Demon is placed into one questionable foster home situation after another. Demon, though, if nothing else was born a fighter and a surviver, and he manages to do both things right up until the moment his knee is shattered in a high school football game coached by the man who has signed on as Demon's legal guardian. 

Hello, Dr. Doom, hello Purdue pusher-family, hello opioids, hello crippling addiction. From now on nothing matters more than feeding that addiction, and all bets are off.

Demon Copperhead could not have been any shorter and done justice to the chemical plague foisted upon the working poor by the Purdue family of criminals (who ended up paying a substantial fine to the government while still managing to walk away with the bulk of their corrupt gains). Sadly, those fines were paid directly to the government, and no reparations to speak of ever reached the families and individuals who had their lives destroyed by the Purdues.

But on a lighter note...who knew that Kingsolver has such a subtle sense of humor (maybe I'm the last one to find that out). And what's not to like about a novelist who gives readers credit for knowing that a dog named "Hazel Dickens" is a political statement in itself about the dog's owners? Or that she calls out the Purdue family by name?

Two of my favorite quotes from Demon Copperhead:

"Likewise the Charles Dickens one, seriously old guy, dead and a foreigner but Christ Jesus did he get the picture on kids and orphans getting screwed over and nobody giving a rat's ass. You'd think he was from around here." (Spoken to the reader by Demon after he discovers a love of reading and the novel David Copperfield)

and 

 "A year is a long time away from the wheel. Straight into city driving, quite the plunge. I tried to keep my eyes open and channel June Peggot parallel parking outside Atlanta Starbucks. I'm in awe of that maneuver to this day. Men have married women for less reason." 

Demon Copperhead surprised me. I knew it was supposed to be good, but I never really expected it to be, at least to this point, my favorite book of 2023. 

Barbara Kingsolver (Author Photo)


12 comments:

  1. Wow. Best book you've read this year. That says a lot! I've really liked the few Kingsolver books that I've read; the length of this one has put me off it a little bit, but your review has me rethinking that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering all of the mixed reviews of Demon Copperhead I read before getting my hands on a copy, I was very surprised to have such a powerful reaction to it. It will not be easy for another book to push this one from my top spot...but I sure hope it happens because that means I have another great booking coming in the next five months.

      Delete
  2. It was such a good read, wasn't it. Not my favorite of hers, but perhaps that opinion will shift in me with time. I still liked Poisonwood Bible far better than any others, but perhaps simply because it's her first novel I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read Poisonwood Bible, but that one is always referred to as an important novel of hers. I'll get to it one day, I hope. Demon was a great read, and Kingsolver kept me guessing almost to the last page if he was going to make it out alive or not. What the Purdues got away with reflects poorly on our justice system.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam, great review and I am curious now because I have stayed away from Barbara Kingsolver. Not sure why and I have read Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol and didn't care for either novel as much as I had hoped. But now Kingsolver and Dickens have teamed up o to speak with Demon Copperhead. And Barbara Kingsolver really took a chance here. First by patterning her book after the Dickens' classic but also using a first person narrator and keeping the reader interested in that narrator throughout a very long novel takes real talent and it looks like Kingsolver has pulled it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it, Kathy, but you're right; it's quite an achievement to write such a long novel through the eyes of a single narrator, especially one prone to make the poor life-choices that Demon makes. If he had ever slipped into being an unsympathetic character, I'm not sure that I - and many others - would have kept reading all the way through. That happened to me with Donna Tarrt's 2014 Pulitzer winner The Goldfinch. I hated the main character and just about all of the supporting characters that I could barely finish the book. To this day, all I can remember about the book clearly is how happy I was to turn that final page so that I would never have to pick the book up again. And I haven't read Tarrt since.

      This modern take on the Dickens style works really well, but it probably helps that David Copperfield is my favorite Dickens novel. I do like Great Expectations a lot, but not A Christmas Carol...and most definitely not A Tale of Two Cities.

      If you ever decide to read Kingsolver, this is a pretty good place to start, but I am not sure that it is all that representational of the rest of her work because I've read very little of her before now, too.

      Delete
  4. I'm not at all sure if this is for me but your review was excellent and fascinating, Sam. I think I mentioned I saw her on a Sky Arts programme from the Hay Festival and was very impessed at how she interviewed and what she had to say about the book. She was far from sure about how the book would be recieved I gather. From what you say about it I can see why. I read David Copperfield in my teens and remember falling head over heels in love with the story. Whether I would still like it as much now is open to question as we're different people aged 17 and 70!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not paid proper attention to Kingsolver, Cath, and I'm curious about how she would present in an interview. I'll have to check YouTube to see what I can find. It's kind of fascinating that she would have had major doubts about the book considering that it one a Pulitzer Prize. Just goes to show you...

      Delete
  5. Yes, the committee definitely got it right this year! Demon Copperhead was an excellent book, and I loved Trust by Hernan Diaz, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the Herman Diaz book yet, but I'll hopefully be taking a look at it at some point.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed this book so much. Even though the premise and setting both appeal to me, I'm always hesitant about books that are super hyped and those that win literary awards. Neither work out well for me, usually. I've heard only good things about DEMON COPPERHEAD, though, and I think the fact that even though the book was so long, you wanted more says a lot. I'm definitely going to give this one a go at some point. Great review, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I do think almost everyone would enjoy this one if they are willing to make a commitment to a longer book. I found reading about 50 pages a day to be the perfect pace for me...that means you can finish it in 10 or 11 days while reading other stuff at the same time as changes-of-pace. I hope you do give it a shot...would love to hear your thoughts.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.