Sunday, January 09, 2022

Wednesday's Child - Peter Robinson


Wednesday’s Child
(1992) is the sixth of Peter Robinson’s twenty-seven Inspector Banks novels. Even though I have already read the latest three novels in the series, it was not until I decided to start reading the Banks series from the beginning, and got into book number five (Past Reason Hated), that I finally began to much warm up to Banks and his crew. Robinson, to that point, seemed content to write very good, straightforward police procedurals more than the kind of crime book that most appeals to me: those in which the main and supporting characters are so fully developed that I can begin predicting their reactions to whatever situation they confront in each new novel. Simply put, that’s when it all becomes real to me.


Wednesday’s Child picks up much from where the previous novel ended. Alan Banks, now forty years old, is still happy with his decision to have left London for the slower pace of life he and his family enjoy in northern England. His home life, however, is not what he wishes it were now that his son has begun university studies half way across the country and his daughter much prefers the company of her teenaged friends to that of her parents. And now, Banks’s wife seems to blame his impatience for much of the friction between them and their daughter. It doesn’t help, of course, that Banks often works the kind of hours that cause him and his wife to live almost separate lives for weeks at a time. 


But first and foremost, Alan Banks is a cop who tends to take crimes committed on his home turf personally — especially those crimes that victimize children. When seven-year-old Gemma Scupham is taken from her home by fake social care workers, Banks knows that if he doesn’t find the little girl quickly, he will almost certainly never find her alive. He also knows that Gemma is not being held for ransom because the girl’s mother, who depends on government payments for support, is incapable of paying any ransom at all to get her daughter back. So now, considering what is likely happening to the little girl, it is all hands on deck. Even Detective Superintendent Gristhorpe, more administrator than field investigator these days, is back in the field. 


After a body is discovered by sheer chance inside a remote, abandoned mine, Banks is removed from the kidnapping case so that he can handle the murder investigation. But then something strange happens. Some of the same names, and leads, begin to appear in both investigations — and if the little girl has any chance of survival, Banks and Gristhorpe know that it will take their combined efforts to save her. The race is on.


Bottom Line: The Inspector Banks series is not one I might still be reading if I had first begun reading the books in the order in which they were published. I am grateful that I started the series from the wrong end, after Banks had become more of a fleshed-out character than he is in the early books. Take this as the word of encouragement it is meant to be: the Alan Banks character should not be given up on too soon because like me, in the end, you just might start calling Alan Banks one of your favorite fictional detectives of them all. 


Peter Robinson


16 comments:

  1. The plot of this one is certainly intriguing. I've not read any of this series but perhaps I will get to it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've gotten into the series, I really like it a lot Dorothy. Robinson is British but has lived in Canada for a long time now.

      Delete
  2. I have had a similar experience with this author. I have read the first three books and I am still lukewarm on the series, but I did like some aspects of the 3rd book. I have the next three, including this one, so I will be continuing for at least that long. So, thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was around book five that I noticed a change in Robinson's style. He finally started focusing as much on the recurring characters as much as he did on the mystery. You're almost there. :-)

      Delete
  3. I admire your stamina, Sam, in going back to the beginning of some of these series that you sampled from the wrong end (if you get what I mean), and reading from there to catch up. Louise Penny for instance. This Inspector Banks series is one I've never read even though I know it's hugely popular among crime fans. It's not because I don't want to, it's because I already read *so* many crime series I'm dubious about taking on more. And I am inclined, I notice, to be more willing to take on new American crime series than I am British. I wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting, Cath, that you are more willing to try new American series than British ones. I suspect it's just the opposite for most American readers; I know it is for me. I tend to give the British series more the the benefit of the doubt than I do unknown American series writers. A quick count shows that I'm active in 12 American series, 9 British ones, and one each from Canada, Iceland, and Ireland. I think the attraction might be that readers from America notice really odd and interesting stuff in British mysteries that British readers are so familiar with they don't even notice, and vice versa.

      Delete
  4. I was sent a copy of his Before the Poison years ago but don't think I read it. Must look for it, if I still have it, that is. I have given away over half of my books in my downsizing. Happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about giving away books...can't count the number of times I've gone back months or years later searching for something here that I must have given away long ago.

      Now, I'm wondering about Before the Poison, from 2011, because I hadn't noticed that Robinson has written a couple of standalones. I'd be curious to see how different a style he uses in a standalone as opposed to one of his Alan Banks books.

      Delete
    2. Here's a link to the book in goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10817086-before-the-poison

      Delete
  5. Although the title is familiar, the author is not so I must me thinking of something else. Sounds good but, no new series for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Diane. At this point, I should be shedding series rather than adding them, but when it comes to books...weak is the word that best describes me.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it is good to start with a later book in a series; if I'd started Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series with the first book I'm not sure I would have continued on, but I started with the third, fell in love with the main character and worked my way back. It's not that his first book was bad, it just wasn't nearly as good as the ones that followed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first books in a series are aiming for different things and that the authors know, or want, to develop the main characters more slowly over time. It must be a fine line to walk, and some of them make the mistake of using "cardboard cutouts" in the first book.

      Delete
  7. Interesting. I enjoy reading books in a series in order precisely because I like to take my time getting to know the characters and watching them develop. If I didn't feel particularly attached to a series' cast, I probably wouldn't continue with it. Although, come to think of it, there are some I've stuck with because of characters that have POTENTIAL to be more appealing. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that...sounds like you would have made a wonderful guidance counselor.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.