Saturday, January 01, 2022

The Book Chase January 2022 Reading Plan

Happy New Year, all. It's always refreshing to turn the page on a new year, I know, but after the last two years we've all experienced, it somehow seems more important than ever to start this new year with a real sense of renewal and optimism. That's also led me to reconsider what kind of reading year I want to have in 2022. 

I've decided that 2022 will be a year during which I read many more older books than I normally read. I want to spend the year catching up on some of my longtime favorite authors and exploring books and authors from the middle of the twentieth century. That means fewer new books, fewer review copies, and way less chasing the bright new pennies as publishers around the world mint them every month. That's not to say that I won't be reading any books published this year; I'll just have to force myself to be more selective...and I'll depend on you guys to point me in the right direction there.

Anyway, that's the plan for now, and January is looking something, I hope, like this:

This is the second book (1993) in Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. This is my favorite detective series of them all, and I started off 2021 by reading the first book in the series but never did work my way back to this second one. Interestingly, this is the novel in which Bosch discovers who his father was and that he has four half-siblings, including the character who later becomes well known to Connelly fans as the "Lincoln Lawyer." This one takes Bosch down into Mexico where he tries to solve the murders of two detectives.

Thomas Berger's 1964 novel, Little Big Man, is a classic of sorts. It was made into a successful movie in 1970 that starred Dustin Hoffman, but that movie struck me as much as an anti-Vietnam war movie as a good representation of Berger's long novel about a man who was captured by Indians as a child and spent the rest of his life passing between the two cultures. Jack Crabb, now 111 years old, is finally ready to tell the world his story when he suddenly dies...leaving behind his diaries. The novel is told in his words...and it's a hoot.

I committed to reading this one a few weeks ago. It's the third in a series of stories published by the Mystery Writers of America, and it is scheduled for publication in April 2022. I've read a few of the short stories in it now, and I was a little bit underwhelmed by the first ones I read. But I seem to have struck gold with the last few of them I've tried, so my appreciation for the collection is steadily growing. I'm unfamiliar with most of the authors, but that's part of the fun because you never know where just one story will lead you.

The Searchers is a 1954 novel by Alan LeMay that many people will remember as one of John Wayne's classic movies. From what I understand, the novel is a good bit darker than the movie was - and that was dark enough. It's the story of a man whose niece (I think) is taken captive by Indians, and what he goes through to get her back over the next six years. The darker aspects of the story come, as I recall, from the man's realization that he would rather see the young woman dead than alive if she has been raped by the Indians who hold her for so long. 

I've been itching for a while now to begin reading the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves but still haven't managed to get a copy of the first book in the series. Rather than wait any longer, I've decided to jump into the series featuring Shetland cop Jimmy Perez with its seventh book, Cold Earth (2016)It's not like I don't already know the characters anyway, since I first discovered the Shetland series via the PBS series and have watched three complete seasons of those shows. Still, though, that's not like reading the books.

After finally discovering Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks novels and reading the current ones for a while, I decided a while back to start reading from book number one in this twenty-seven-book series. So, it's time for book number six, Wednesday's Child (1992). Unfortunately, I saw a television version of this one a year or so ago, and the plot stuck with me more vividly than television usually does. I don't expect any real surprises now, but I do expect some complications and, hopefully, a side plot or two.

William Shaw is one of those authors that Cathy over at Kittling: Books turned me on to in 2021. I really enjoy the way this man tells a story, and this will be the fifth of his books I've read. It's one of Shaw's standalones, and it was published in 2014. Like his She's Leaving Home, another of his standalones, it is set in the "swinging sixties." It is billed on the book flap as "a battle for the soul of the city" (London) between "cops and criminals, the corrupt and the corruptible." It sounds as if the cops are little better than the criminals in this one.

This book has been languishing on my shelves since sometime in the eighties, I think. It's bright red cover catches my eye all the time, but I've not read even one of the four Paul Scott novels inside its covers. Time to fix that, so I hope to read Scott's 1976 novel The Jewel in the Crown in late January or early February. I did see, decades ago, some of the television series based on the books, so I know what to expect. The four novels total almost 2,000 pages in this edition, Now I remember why I never tried to read one of them before now. 


This is the game plan for the beginning of the month. I don't expect to read all eight of these, but I do expect to read about ten books in total following the general guidelines I've set for myself. 

And...we're off. Happy 2022 reading to you all!

22 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! "Renewal and optimism" are perfect words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. I hope you have a wonderful year...and that you post a lot of those wonderful photos of your part of the country.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Sam! And I like your reading plan for 2022. I think it's good to mix in older books along with the new. My "big" reading goal for this year is to finally read the last three Sue Grafton novels. I've only been meaning to do that for years. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you...I think I have five or six of hers yet to read. I bought a remainders copy of "Y" just a month ago and it's staring at me as I type this.

      Delete
  3. I have the second and third books in the Shetland series in my Kindle queue and I may read the second one next when I finish Convenience Store Woman. I read Scott's Raj Quartet at about the time the television series was showing long, long ago. I enjoyed it a lot and I think you will, too. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Dorothy. I'm curious about the Raj books because I've seen some really good British drama set in that period, but I remember this particular series as being very gloomy and sad. Can't believe the book's been on my shelves for the better part of 40 years.

      Delete
  4. I had not heard of that new book of short stories. I see it is edited by S. J. Rozan, one of my favorite contemporary mystery writers, so I will probably get it, even though I am trying to cut back on book buying in 2022.

    I will be interested in how you like the books in the Shetland series, starting at book 7. I actually think you might like it better that way, because the TV series changes some of the relationships (sort of). I read only books 1-4, and liked them very much, especially the fourth one, but haven't been interested in reading more.

    I hope to read more by William Shaw this year. I did get a copy of Salt Lane, the second book in his DS Alexandria Cupidi series. And will read that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good book of short stories, Tracy, but my overall impression of the collection is how uneven it is. Some of the stories are very predictable, just not all that entertaining. But then a couple of them are absolutely brilliant, and lots of them are way above average. But with any group of 20 stories, that's what always seems to happen.

      I read crimes series both ways...consecutive order and as they become available to me. In the long run, it doesn't seem to much matter which way I do it, I think. I did both Connelly's and Penny's series in random order and they ended up being two of my all-time favorites. So I'm looking forward to the Shetland books.

      I didn't react to Salt Lane as enthusiastically as I did to the others of Shaw's I've read...least favorite of the four so far. If you feel the same about it, don't let that put you off his books.

      Delete
  5. Like Tracy, I also read 3 or 4 of the Shetland books and then stopped because the TV series came out. It is different in various ways, the first series mixed books 1 and 2 if memory serves. And Dougie Henshall is nothing like the book Jimmy Perez.

    Oddly enough, newly published books are not really a thing for me so I'm not madly tempted to keep buying those. I do however need to read some of my older books and judging by Twitter it seems a lot of people have got the same idea this year. Let's hope we all succeed.

    I'll be interested to see how you get on with Little Big Man as I could be tempted by that I think. The imagine of Dustin Hoffman suffering a freezing cold winter in an Indian village is one of those movie scenes that's stayed with me over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of hoping, Cath, that the way Henshall plays the character on TV would be the way he's portrayed in the novels. I love Henshall's gentle and empathetic manner with even with the most likely bad guys. It's a different approach to solving murders. :-)

      I think you're lucky not to be overly attracted to the latest books all the time. My problem is that I always wonder what I'm missing while reading something else...and the older I get, the worse I get about that.

      I read Little Big Man decades ago and it kind of reminded me of something that Mark Twain could have written. One of those "anything is possible" kind of books seen through the eyes of a naive kid...who in this case grows up during the book. I'm loving it again this time, maybe even more than the first time around.

      Delete
    2. Cath, I love how you call him 'Dougie'. I never want to read the books because I think the cast is so utterly perfect. The way he speaks - so slow and deliberate draws me in to really listen.

      Delete
  6. Hey Sam, it sounds like you have given your 2022 reading a lot of thought (I tried to as well.) Let's hope we both can resist more (not all) of the new releases for the books we've wanted to read for far too long. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I made it through the first day of 2022 without buying a new release, Diane. It's one day at a time. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Sam, it is important at the beginning of the year to set a theme for the kind of books we want to read and the mid 20th century has some real gems. I have read The Searchers by Alan LeMay and I was impressed with the book and the movie. And the first ten minutes of the movie is chilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading good western novels, Kathy, and I'm really looking forward to The Searchers. I think westerns don't get the respect that the genre deserves. There's a lot of junk in the genre, but it's easy to tell the difference between a serious western and a shoot-em-up type novel.

      Delete
  8. I really need to catch up on Cleeves' Shetland series. I've only read a couple of the books so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't started the one I plan to read this month, but will probably do so by the beginning of next week. I did just finish watching the fourth season of Shetland this evening, so I'm more curious than ever.

      Delete
  9. Here's to renewal and optimism! I'm planning to read more older books and favorite authors in 2022, and will continue being more intentional in my reading selections. Hope you get to most of the books on your January list. Happy New Year, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love starting out on a whole new year of reading, JoAnn, because you just never know where you are going to end up. I really do hope that I can finally read a substantial amount of older stuff this year; not the first time I've tried to do that.

      Delete
  10. Reading older books is a good plan ... even if some might seem dated. There's a lot of good ones that slipped by or are left on the shelves. I will try to read more backlist too. Or a classic or two. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am especially curious about my personal coming-of-age decades, the fifties and sixties. It's been a lot of fun to revisit the popular culture of those years via the novels that were popular then.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.