Saturday, May 01, 2021

The Book Chase May 2021 Reading Plan

May caught me by surprise - I suppose because every day and every month has been pretty much like the one that preceded it for more than a year now. For that reason, I'm more or less organizing the month's reading plan on the fly, and my actual May reading may end up bearing little resemblance to what I see ahead of me right now:


Lonesome Dove, despite the fact that I've been slowly enjoying it for weeks, will end up being called a May book because I'm now down to about 25 pages to go in this 946-page masterpiece. I'll almost certainly finish it today. This is my third time reading Larry McMurtry's most famous book, and I am thrilled that it has held up so well again. Since I only read it every decade or so, it has remained as fresh - and as moving - as it was my first time through. Now, I can't wait to re-read the other novels featuring Gus and Call.

Sayaka Murata's Earthlings is another of the books I was already reading coming into this new month. I am about two-thirds of the way through the audiobook version, and although I'm growing a little weary of the book's reader, I'm still intrigued about where this one seems to be heading. I haven't reached the climax yet, but I'm hoping that it's headed where I think it is. Some of the characters in Earthlings resemble the main characters from Murata's Convenience Store Woman enough that I'm starting to wonder if Murata herself is not a bit obsessed by the theme of the two novels. 

Even though Paul Theroux is a writer whose work I've often enjoyed in the past, I'm finding it difficult to get into his latest novel. Under the Wave at Waimea is about an over-the-hill surfer who is now struggling to win against his much younger competition. That's a world I can't identify with, but I think I'll eventually lock into the book's rhythm because it's really, I think and hope, a mystery about what happens after the old surfer runs over someone while driving home from the bar one night. Theroux is just too good a writer for me not to give this one another try.

The Real Cool Killers is a 1959 novel from Chester Himes's Harlem Detective series featuring Coffin Ed Johnson and Grave Digger Jones (just those names make me want to read the book). Himes is a black writer who started publishing short stories while serving time in prison for armed robbery convictions. His work is still seen as having been quite influential in the genre, and after leaving prison and moving to Europe for the rest of his life, his books were popular there as well. I've never read Himes, so I don't know know what to expect.

Hard to believe, but Not Dark Yet is book number twenty-seven in Peter Robinson's DCI Banks series. Banks is a Yorkshire cop I've not completely warmed up to despite now having read the first five and the last two books in the series. I do have to say that I've enjoyed the last two more than I did those at the beginning of the series, so I'm hoping that this one works well for me. I think my problem with the books has been that so little of Banks's personal life is shared with the reader. The novels are, however, excellent police procedurals. 

I've read and enjoyed several of Mike Bond's books in the past, and I've just recently received a review copy of his new one, America: Volume 1. The novel is the first book in a seven-book series via which Bond plans to explore life in America decade-by-decade beginning here with the 1960s. It focuses on two couples who come of age during that decade and how such a volatile time changed and influenced them for the rest of their lives. This was my own coming-of-age decade, so I'm curious to see what Bond has to say about it.

The infamous Blake Bailey biography of Philip Roth arrived yesterday as Amazon promised, and I've already taken a quick look at it. I'm impressed with the physical quality of the book, including its approximately 100 photos, and its organization. But Philip Roth: The Biography is over 800 pages long, so it is unlikely that I will finish it during May. It will most likely instead turn into a multi-month read much like Lonesome Dove has done. Yes, Blake Bailey may very well turn out to be the criminal he is accused of being...not his book. 

I really dislike this cover of Elmore Leonard's Hombre, but don't let it put you off the book itself. Leonard started his career as a western writer, and had great success in that genre in print and movie versions of his stories. Hombre (1961) is one of the best of them, and it may even have been a little ahead of its time because it's the story of a man who, because he was raised by Apaches, is held in contempt by the white settlers around him right up until he's the only thing standing between them and death. Considered by many to be one of the best westerns ever written, it was also adapted into what became one of Paul Newman's best-remembered movies.

Of course, I expect at least three or four other books to demand immediate attention - some I already have on board, and some I don't even know about yet - so things will change. It's only a question of by how much.

16 comments:

  1. Sam, the narrator of Earthlings is the same one as Convenience Store Woman - I liked her but, her voice was slightly annoying in Earthling because of the nature of the store -- far out there --I suspect.

    I also have the ARC of Under the Wave of Waimea which I want to read but, the whole surfer thing and his downfall as a surfer makes me a bit unsure this is for me. Enjoy your May picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW - I just checked and the audio of Roth's biography was available for library download - happy surprise, I'm amazed.

      Delete
    2. That must be a very long audiobook, Diane...around 30 hours of listening, I'm guessing. How long will your library allow you to keep it. Mine has a two-week limit even on the longest audiobooks, and they return automatically on the day they are due.

      Delete
    3. Diane, I'm intrigued by both of Murata's books, especially their similar themes. I am dying to learn more about her and why she writes about "the factory" so much. Makes me wonder a lot about her and how she lives her own life.

      Delete
    4. I ended up passing on Roth's Bio for now as I can't devote the time with several other book commitments.

      There are several interesting article on Murata, who still works in a "Convenience Store" part time. I thought this article was pretty interesting:https://inews.co.uk/culture/books/sayaka-murata-earthlings-interview-japan-fiction-808213

      Delete
    5. Thanks for that link...heading that way as soon as I finish here...she sounds like an unusual and fascinating woman.

      Delete
  2. April seemed to go by super fast for me; it's hard to believe it's already May. Good luck with all your reading plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a headache-day, so I'm not able to read at all...really frustrating. But I did manage to watch a really good movie version of Agatha Christie's ABC Murders starring John Malkovich. The movie is so gritty and bloody that I;m wondering if it even remotely resembles the novel.

      Delete
  3. America is the one that appeals to me, and Hombre, both about US history of course, which is why they appeal. I'll be interested to hear what you make of those if you get to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they will get read in May, Cath. But the good news for me on both of those is that neither of them come from the library...so no tie-pressure.

      Delete
  4. Quite an assortment! I'm always interested in other people's reading plans...even though I rarely make any plans any more. Sometimes, however, reading one book on a subject that I'm curious about will develop into an unintended journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that happen many times, Jen. Right now, in fact, I'm still following the trail of a 1940s crime novel that has led me on a merry chase to read more from that period. It's been a real eye-opener.

      Delete
  5. May snuck up on me, too! I didn't even start thinking about what my next few books would be until it was already here.

    Glad you have enjoyed this reread of Lonesome Dove as much as ever. After enjoying Convenience Store Woman so much, I'll be curious to hear what you think after finishing Earthlings - such an unusual cover!

    I have such a variety of feelings over the whole Blake Bailey/Roth bio ordeal, but one thing I can say with certainly - Bailey is an excellent biographer. His book about Richard Yates is the best literary biography I've ever read. Given the access he had, the Roth bio could be even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished Earthlings just this afternoon...and I'm speechless. How do you write a review for something like that? Anything you say about the plot loses its impact without spoiling it for future readers...bizarre book, for sure. I'm going to have to sleep on this one for a couple of days before I sit down and try to write something about it.

      I agree with you about Bailey's Yates biography. That was another reason I was so happy to learn that Roth chose him for his own bio. I haven't read much of it yet at all, but it appears to be excellently written and researched. I'll be following Bailey closely to see what comes from the charges. Apparently, there's enough there to make the publisher yank the book, but I can't convince myself that it's ever right to pull a book for almost any reason. That opens up a real can of worms.

      Delete
  6. Very interesting books here, Sam. I have not read anything by Chester Himes yet and only a couple of novels by Peter Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first one by Chester Himes, but he was highly praised in an episode of the Great Courses class on mysteries and thrillers I've been watching so I wanted to take a look at his writing. I have been surprised at the terms he uses to describe some of the black characters in the novel and the nicknames they carry. No one would dare today.

      I'm liking Robinson more and more now that he's taken to personalizing his characters more than he did in his early books. I just bought a beautiful copy of his 2001 "Aftermath" yesterday, in fact. Couldn't pass it up and I wonder who kept it so nice all those years.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.