Friday, April 30, 2021

Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place - Can "Bad" People Write Important Books?



As evidenced by the above photo, I'm a big fan of Philip Roth's novels and nonfiction - and I have been since the late 1960s. The books shown in the picture are part of my Library of America collection, and they represent the vast majority of what Roth published during his career, but I also have some of his novels and nonfiction books in their original editions. 

Now, I have almost nothing in common with a man like Philip Roth, but that is a big part of the attraction. Roth was Jewish, he was born in New Jersey, he was a rather infamous womanizer; I am none of those things. So I turned to a writer like Philip Roth to explain that world to me, and even though I doubt that I ever came close to really understanding it, Roth got me as close to that point as any writer ever could. Philip Roth expanded my universe, and I am grateful to him for that. His personal life and habits, intriguing as they were, were his business, and I didn't think much about them.




But Philip Roth is gone now, and what promises to be his definitive biography has recently been published, and I really want to read it - and I want a copy of my own to shelve and reference. Until Monday, I had not ordered a copy, just kept putting it off because I already have so many books stacked up to be read. Then, I spotted an article in The Times of London that W.W. Norton & Company was yanking the book because Blake Bailey, its author, has been accused in New Orleans of sexual misconduct that may have occurred decades ago during his tenure there as a middle school teacher. If the charges are true, Blake Bailey deserves whatever legal punishment his actions merit. No doubt about that.

Bailey, however, was handpicked by Roth to write this biography, and that means that he was given the kind of access to Roth that future biographers can only dream about. From what I've read, the biography exposes extremely unflattering aspects of Roth's personal behavior, so it promises to be frank and, I hope, honest. Bailey was even at Roth's deathbed, from what I gather. As I've said, I want to read this book, and I want to own it.

I realize that I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but since I review everything I read, if this book arrives today, as Amazon promises it will, I will read it, I will display it on my shelves, and I will review it. Frankly, I consider "cancel culture" to be nothing more than thinly veiled censorship, and I abhor it. Blake Bailey may very well be a despicable human being; I don't know. But if he is, that does not lessen the quality of this book - and even though it will probably be published by someone else eventually, I want it now. And if I could afford to do it, I would probably buy a couple of dozen copies to give to likeminded people because this kind of thing makes me very nervous. 

As a friend of mine says (and he probably stole it from somewhere), "Woke me when it's over."

14 comments:

  1. I don't understand why they'd pull a well-written biography about Roth just because the author of it is a less than stellar individual. Seems like it punishes Roth and his fans more than Blake Bailey, unless they don't want Bailey to see any of the money from it. And who are they to judge? Shouldn't they let people decide for themselves if they want to buy Bailey's book, or not. After all, that's what a free market should be about. Sigh. The world is getting so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just imagine all the great books from the past that we would have never known if this had been the rule back then. Bailey has been dropped by the publisher and his agent, and I think, he's been given back the rights to the manuscript. That means it could be picked up by some indie publisher willing to take the wrath of the woke-censors out there, but the damage is done. If Bailey ends up in jail, or paying huge sums via civil suits, so be it; he deserves that if he's guilty. But erasing the existence of what by all accounts is an excellent book is a huge step too far for me to stomach it silently. Cancel culture is an obscenity.

      Delete
  2. I am in complete agreement with you; cancel culture is very damaging, particularly when it involves preventing books from being read. The writer who is accused may not be guilty, I believe people are innocent until or unless found guilty. Even so, many great writers have questionable personal lives but still, we should be able to buy their books. Just my three cents worth. A favorite author of mine, Anne Perry, was found guilty of a murder when she was a teen, spent her time in prison, and many still enjoy reading her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This jumping to erase people particularly bothers me when the work has nothing to do with the crime or other "offense" they've been accused of. It's especially destructive, IMO, when an "offense" is taken out of its historical context. People who want to pretend that one false step is the only thing that matters in a person's entire lifetime are so close-minded that my first inclination is to support their victim. That's not the case here, though.

      The thing about Anne Perry that keeps me from reading her books anymore is that she was convicted of murder and now writes murder novels. That is a little to cozy for me to be able to read her books without constantly wondering how she separates the two in her own mind - or if she even thinks about it all anymore. But, for sure, I would never call for her books to be banned, nor would I shame anyone who reads and enjoys them. Censorship is simply wrong.

      Delete
  3. Not much to add to what you've said really, Sam. I completely agree with you about cancel culture and am becoming worried with so much of it around. Over here recently some scientists referred to 'persons who menstruate'. Right. 'Women' perhaps? There was quite an outcry with a lot of women feeling like they're being 'cancelled'. This isn't connected with this author but for me is part and parcel - along with that - with things that are going on at the moment that I find worrying. Political correctness gone mad, people being told what to think, who it's 'correct' to read and so and so on. I'm so glad I'm in my late sixties and a lot of what'is going on will not affect me in the long run, but I do worry for my grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry, too, Cath, because I think the world and our lives are being affected by a relatively small group of people who don't even realize how silly - and dangerous - their actions are. I've grown tired of letting them intimidate me; I know what's inside my heart, and I'm sick of the always constant possibility that I will inadvertently offend someone because I haven't kept up with the lates pronoun or gender issue. Heck, I can't even keep up with the proper terms for all the different minority groups anymore. I'm hoping that we've just about reached peak-silliness now, and things will start a slow swing back to common sense.

      Delete
  4. Sam, such an interesting post and collection of Roth's works. As a life long liberal I wanted to say I think "cancel culture" is getting out of hand. To me it seems that the term gets tossed around for any old reason at times by both sides and it has been an extremely polarizing topic of debate. Sometimes IMO it has seemed warranted but, when it comes to books I tend to disagree. For example, the recent Dr. Seuss controversy and several of his old books being pulled - that felt ridiculous to me and I know there was something about author JK Rowling and her transphobic beliefs - they aren't really going to pull all the Harry Potter books are they? gezz

    I do hope you get to read and display Roth's bio with your prized collection. I'd be curious to read it as well as well as I've enjoyed several of his books. Innocent till proven guilty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book arrived yesterday afternoon, Diane, and I'm pleased with it. It's a first edition copy...there will be no second printing. It's printed on high quality paper and my only complaint is that, because of its weight, the book will have a worn look to it after only one reading. The amount of research and time and effort put into this biography is obvious, and I've read the prologue and am looking forward to getting into the book.

      Writers are supposed to make us thing; they are supposed to educate us; they are supposed to entertain us; they are supposed to make us more empathetic...and they do all of those things. What Bailey is supposed to have done is horrible, and if he's guilty I hope he pays the appropriate price for his crimes. But Dr. Seuss? I think that was all taken out of the context of its times, and I wonder why others were not erased from the same period. Was he a target of choice because the timing was right? Rowling? I read her comments and did not find them to be derogatory at all. IMO, they were the remarks of a woman who had grown frustrated with cancel culture and political correctness. Was she smart to blurt out her inner thoughts that way? Probably not...but does that mean that the most popular series of books in decades should be erased or ignored forever more? In the case of books, I believe its up to the reader to make up their own minds as to whether they read an author or not. It's not up to a lynch mob of loudmouths to decide for them.

      It's just all gotten to be too much, and it's gone too far. I think that's something that true liberals and true conservatives can agree on. It's the radicals on both sides of the political spectrum that I worry about...little minds with loud mouths are dangerous.

      Delete
    2. Same, couldn't agree with you more here. Hey, enjoy that Roth's Biography - I'm jealous.

      Delete
    3. I've been frustrated today by the bad headache I got out of bed with...no reading today, for the most part. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

      Delete
  5. You may feel that you've gone out on a limb with your opinion, but know this: I'll be one of the people making sure no one saws that limb off behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I appreciate you saying that more than you know. I'm so sick of people using intimidation and threats to get their way with no regard for the consequences their whining and screaming cause. My only answer anymore is to ignore them, support their victims when I feel they have been wrongly attacked, and refuse to live in fear of saying the wrong thing by mistake...or not being clear. That's what they thrive on, and it's really all they have going for them.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Sam, I put a comment in here, and it said it was published, but it doesn't show, so here goes...

    I am glad that you got your copy of the book, and I enjoyed reading your opinions in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, it's only a matter of time before they disappear from bookstores. I wonder if stores will be allowed to sell what they have on hand or required to return them to the publisher (makes no good sense to me). I haven't read much of the book yet, only dipping into it for a few pages a day, but it is of obvious quality and brilliance, in my estimation.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.