Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Killer inside Me - Jim Thompson

Original Cover of "The Killer Inside Me"


Simply put, Jim Thompson’s 1952 novel The Killer Inside Me is a stunner, one of those novels that, once picked up, demand the reader to keep turning pages. Mostly during the 1930s and 1940s, Thompson wrote over thirty novels, and most of those, including The Killer Inside Me, were published as paperback originals. That’s probably why Thompson got so little critical appreciation during his lifetime. He was, however, “rediscovered” during the 1980s, and several of his novels have now been filmed or republished. The Killer Inside Me even opens the Library of America collection titled Crime Novels: American Noir of the 1950s, a five-novel collection that includes Patricia Highsmith’s remarkable The Talented Mr. Ripley along with works from the classic noir writers Charles Willeford, David Goodis, and Chester Himes. 


“I grinned, feeling a little sorry for him. It was funny the way these people kept asking for it. Just latching onto you no matter how you tried to brush them off, and almost telling you how they wanted it done. Why’d they all have to come to me to get killed? Why couldn’t they kill themselves?”


Twenty-nine-year-old Lou Ford, narrator of The Killer Inside Me, is a cop in the small West Texas town he’s lived in his whole life. Central City, Texas, is an oil boom town that has grown from a population of 4,800 to one of more than 48,000 during Lou’s lifetime, and it is not anything like the quiet little community it had been when his father was the town’s family doctor. Lou is the cop everybody likes, the guy who doesn’t appear to be all that smart but always has the time and good advice for those who need it most. And that’s just the way Lou wants it.


The real Lou Ford, however, is nothing like the one people think he is. No, the real Lou Ford is brilliant. He reads in several languages, a feat he taught himself by reading from the extensive library his father left behind in the family home/doctor’s office after he died. He’s read his father’s medical texts — and he’s completely conversant about their contents. With his photographic memory, Lou could have easily become a doctor and taken over his father’s established practice had he wanted to do that. But most importantly, the real Lou Ford is a psychopath who is just as likely to kill you as smile at you and quote some homespun advice he’s memorized from his reading. He’s a man who, entirely for his own amusement, manipulates everyone unfortunate enough to know him. And the really scary thing is what he’s capable of doing to the people he grows tired of — or those who make the mistake of crossing him.


Lou Ford is an unforgettable narrator who, despite his mental illness, turns out to be the exact opposite of the unreliable narrator. Instead, Lou wants the reader (often addressing them directly) to know exactly what he is thinking and planning — even to telling them that he is going to kill someone long before he actually does it. He is a brutal, violent man in the midst of losing the self-control that has allowed the killer inside him to remain hidden as long as it has. But that is about to change…and the body-count is mounting.


“…the way I see it is, the writer is just too goddam lazy to do his job. And I’m not lazy, whatever else I am. I’ll tell you everything. But I want to get everything in the right order. I want you to understand how it was.”


Bottom Line: The Killer Inside Me is a surprisingly disturbing novel, but the disturbance does not necessarily come from the explicitness of Lou Ford’s murders. I was much more taken aback by the ease with which a man like Lou Ford (and his real life versions) is able to lure innocent victims into his web of murder and abuse. The horror of that ability is magnified by the pleasure that Ford takes in giving his readers such a revealing account of how easy it is for someone like him to kill — and to get away with it.


Jim Thompson


17 comments:

  1. Lou Ford sounds like a very scary, very memorable character. My library actually has a couple copies of this book, so maybe I'll give it a read this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've read any of Highsmith's Ripley books, you will have someone to compare Lou Ford to...scary to think how many people like him exists in the real world.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a compulsive read! When I first started to read your review I didn't think the book would be for me but by the time I finished it I wanted very much to read it. I'll see if my county library catalogue has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Answer, 'yes' my county library does have it so I've reserved a copy.

      Delete
    2. It's a horrifying story, Cath. Ford got away with it all very easily for a while, but times were so different and investigative techniques so primitive compared to today's that we can hope it wouldn't be so easy today. But it's obvious that it still happens everywhere because people still suffer from this kind of mental illness/deformity.

      Delete
  3. Love the original cover and this sounds good although I not familiar with the author's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old covers from the fifties are quite collectible these days, and there are some good blogs that are focused on them. I wish I had kept all the ones that passed through my hands.

      Delete
  4. I read The Killer Inside Me years ago and I agree it is a stunner. Its interesting with all the buzz around today's crime books the noir writers of the 1940's and 1950's could create characters and a mood that is hard to duplicate. Recently I read a short story The Dark Oblivion by Cornell Woolrich. Very good but very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I really enjoy finding novels from the forties and fifties that are so underestimated today. There were some really talented, and revolutionary, writers working during those decades in the crime fiction genre. Those guys just don't seem to get the credit they deserve for influencing everyone who came behind them.

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I've never heard of Jim Thompson. This book does sound compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Jim Thompson, today, has some fans among the most popular writers out there but he's still not nearly as well known - or appreciated - as he should be, in my estimation.

      Delete
  6. It certainly does sound disturbing. The contrast of the genial cop and the brilliant psychopath is damn scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially, I think, because the novel is written in the first person, and the reader is sucked deeply inside this guy's mind. I found this as good as Highsmith's Ripley novels even though Thompson is not anywhere near as well known as she is.

      Delete
  7. I never have read this book because I thought I would find it too disturbing to handle. Maybe some day. The only book I have by this author is The Getaway, and I have not read that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a disturbing character, and he knows no shame, so it is all a little shocking at times, but it is really well written...I suppose that's what makes it all so disturbing, really. To me, the novel reads like something written much later than the fifties.

      I haven't read The Getaway either, but I wonder if that's the novel that the Steve McQueen/Ali McGraw movie was made from?

      Delete
    2. I think it is, but I haven't seen the movie either. I thought maybe I could handle The Getaway better, and then if I liked the writing, try one of the more disturbing ones.

      Delete
    3. That's not a bad idea, Tracy. Seems like The Getaway was remade a few decades later, too, so there are a couple of different movie versions of the novel.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.