Saturday, May 02, 2020

Pale Kings and Princes - Robert B. Parker

Robert B. Parker’s Spenser series is the first detective series that really caught my imagination. The series began in 1973 with The Godwulf Manuscript, but I didn’t discover the books until 1983 when I spotted a paperback copy of Ceremony, the ninth Spenser novel, in a local bookstore. The good news, and probably the reason I got instantly stuck on the series, was that I had an eight-book Spenser backlist to explore, and I hurried to do just that. Then, over the next couple of decades, I had to wait for them to come trickling out one-by-one like everyone else.

By the time Parker died in 2010, he had written thirty-eight Spenser novels, but the series was still not complete. Two more completed Spenser novels were posthumously released, and the partially-completed Spenser book he was working on at the time of his death, Silent Night, was finished by his literary agent and published in 2013. In addition to these forty-one Spenser novels, Ace Atkins, author of the Quinn Colson series (a series I highly recommend), has added five more Spenser novels to the series. 1987’s Pale Kings and Princes is the fourteenth Spenser novel, about one-third of the way into the forty-one-book series.

Robert B. Parker
This time around, Spenser is hired by a newspaper to investigate the murder of one of its reporters who had been prying into the massive cocaine trade centered in Wheaton, Massachusetts, when he was killed. It doesn’t take Spenser long to get himself into the same predicament that got the reporter killed. Wheaton is under the thumb of a Columbian kingpin who will do anything to keep it that way and, with the help of the Wheaton cops, any threats to the Columbian, including people like Spenser, are usually quickly eliminated. Spenser, though, is as persistent as he his tough, and he doesn’t plan to go anywhere until he gets justice for the murdered reporter – even if he has to dispense that justice himself.  

According to Spenser, what he does best is annoy people enough to make them do things that lead him to more people to annoy. He puts it this way:

            “I don’t know what’s going on so I wander around and ask questions and annoy people and finally somebody says something or does something then I wander around and ask questions about that and annoy people and so on. Better than sitting up in a tree with a spyglass.”

However he does it, Spenser always gets answers. He’s really good at annoying people. And with a whole lot of help from Hawk, the huge black man who is also Spenser’s best friend, and Susan, the love of his life (at least to this point in the series), he will stay alive long enough to make the right people pay again this time. Spenser, Hawk, and Susan, different as they are from each other, make one hell of a team.

Bottom Line: Pale Kings and Princes cannot be said to be one of the stronger books in the Spenser series because the crime being investigated is a fairly standard one even for its day. But with the Spenser books, it’s not so much about the crime or mystery anyway. The real fun comes from watching Spenser, Hawk, and Susan work together as their relationships evolve over time. Susan is well represented in this one, Hawk not so much. And that’s a shame, because underusing Hawk is never a good thing. Just ask Spenser.

9 comments:

  1. I think I may have told you that I like this series. I haven't read all of them, but liked the ones I read. Plus I'm in the next state over, and am familiar with Boston, so love the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the ones written by Ace Atkins? I've read a couple of them and find them to be pretty good representations of the characters and the tone of Parker's books. Atkins is a good writer, and I think the estate made a wise decision in choosing him to carry on the series - although, I'm not sure yet that I really like the idea of extending a series beyond the death of its author.

      Delete
  2. We listened to several of these on audio over the years on road trips. It's a balance that worked for both of us. I do like that his books were Boston & suburbs based.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Spenser books in the audiobook format. They must be pretty short, I imagine, since the books always strike me as being "shorter" than the number of pages in the actual book...wide spacing between lines, wide margins from the top and bottom of the page, etc. Might be perfect for a short road trip.

      Delete
  3. Great characters and their relationships is usually what keeps me reading a series. This is another classic mystery series I feel like I should try someday. Didn't they make a TV series of this character at one time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good TV series, Lark, but I don't recall really ever getting hooked on it as a regular viewer. I remember being pleased with the actors who did Spenser and Susan, but not so much with the guy who did Hawk.

      It's definitely one you should try sometime. The good news is that you can dip into the series without committing a lot of time to the test because these are really quick reads.

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. I'm kind of into quick reads right now. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read a Spenser novel in years. I should start at the beginning and go through them again--but that is probably never going to happen. Still I loved the characters and sometimes that is enough to make me seek them out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still look at the Spenser books as my first detective series, and I'll always have a soft spot for them. Like you, it was the characters who kept me reading. Love the verbal jabs they throw at each other and their obviousness fondness for each other even though they have so little in common.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.