Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Week of Reading at Half-Speed

During the last week, my time has been almost totally consumed by the logistics of arranging for my father to be moved from a rehabilitation center (where he is being treated for a broken hip) to a facility that can offer him the kind of care that he will need for at least the next several months. 

Consequently, I haven't done a whole lot of reading of tree-books, e-books, or even audiobooks. I listened to two hours of the audiobook version of Peter Robinson's Past Reason Hated a couple of days ago only to realize later that not a single thought made its way to my brain, so I had to re-read all of those pages via an e-book copy of the book I have on hand. I have no idea what I was thinking for those two hours of listening to the book, but reading them in the e-book one day later made it obvious to me that the audiobook had turned into some kind of white noise as I packed. 

Every day is still filled with some combination of phone calls, video calls, and physically packing up dad's old residence in preparation for his impending move. I'm really hoping that once he's in place next week, things will get back closer to whatever has become the frustrating new normal we've all faced for the last eight weeks or so. I miss reading! Reading less than 20 pages a day is driving me nuts - and playing havoc with my planned-review schedule. 

Surprisingly, though, the 386 pages I've read in the last week did result in two completed books (and a little progress on the Peter Robinson title) because most of the pages I read came during the second halves of both books. Now, I need to find the time and energy to review the books before I forget too many of the details to do the job properly. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them, and different as they are, it was easy to get back into their plots despite the few number of pages I could work into my day. 

My Sister the Serial Killer is a story of sibling-rivalry set in Nigeria in which the older, less attractive, sister finds herself helping her younger, stunning, sister dispose of the bodies of her victims. The older girl has to decide where family loyalty ends - if it does. In West Mills is set in a black community in North Carolina. It begins in the 1940s and ends near the present day as it tracks a core group of characters whose lives intertwine in surprising ways during  all those decades. Of the two books, I especially recommend In West Mills.

10 comments:

  1. I was wondering how things were going with you, Sam, so am pleased to see your update. I assume you've found somewhere acceptable to take your dad? I'm not surprised the audio book didn't sink in, your stress levels must be off the chart. I hope you're soon able to relax a bit and get back to some reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see from my extended absence these last few days, Cath, things are still in the hectic-stage. I did place dad in what seems to be a really good facility, but I've only been able to see him once in the last month, so I'm finding it difficult to judge just how well, or how poorly, he's really doing.

      You are so right about my stress label...regular sleep is only something I daydream about these days.

      Delete
  2. I've seen some positive reviews of My Sister the Serial Killer, but haven't read anything about In West Mills. Thanks, Sam!

    Hope things settle down with your father. The situation would be difficult enough at any time, but right now it would be so much harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally took a moment to review My Sister, the Serial Killer yesterday and I hope to do In West Mills this weekend before the details grow in hazier on me. I think you'd enjoy West Mills; it was a very pleasant surprise to me. I really loved the characters.

      My blogging schedule is still sporadic at this point...working on some tax returns for dad is further eating into my time. Sometimes I can't believe all of this mess is really happening, especially at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Frustrating new normal is a good way to describe life right now. I'd also add in stressful. Good luck with your dad. I hope things work out okay for him...and for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. Things are SLOWLY coming together for him. He's moved into a new facility as of Thursday. Now I need to finish clearing out the old place, moving the last of his things to storage...and it's supposed to rain all weekend!

      Delete
  4. Such worrisome stress in these already stressful days. I hope it eases when he gets to the new place. Are you happy with it>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, the new place seems to be the right spot for him. I'm particularly impressed with the empathy of the caregivers there. I've met almost all of them face-to-face now and my level of trust in them is high. Dad is not thrilled about not being able to go "home," but he's been cooperative so far and the staff tell me that he's fitting right in. (He's only been there three days, though.)

      It's a stage of life that we all know is coming, but seeing it so up close and personal is still kind of depressing to me. He is not at all the same man he was pre-surgery, and it is looking more and more like his cognitive skills are gone forever.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry things are so stressful for you right now. I hope things settle into place soon and that both you and your dad can feel calmer and more settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I've made a good bit of progress in the last two weeks, but it just never seems to end. For instance, I literally spent all day on the phone yesterday just cancelling subscriptions, making address changes, and doing bank transfers to have everything going where it needs to go.

      But, I'm hopeful that I can return to more steady blogging soon as a means of relieving my stress. Right now the books I need to review are piling up, and the ones I've read are growing hazier and hazier in my mind. That's all probably adding to my high stress level, too...and that's very counter-productive.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.