Monday, May 04, 2020

Colson Whitehead Wins 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction



Congratulations to Colson Whitehead for winning the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for the second time in the last four years. 

This time around it's for The Nickel Boys, a novel about a Jim Crow era reformatory that was a living hell for many of the boys sent there for minor crimes. In 2017, Whitehead won the same prize for his imaginative take on the Civil War underground railroad that helped so many slaves find freedom north of the Mason-Dixon line. The best thing about the underground railroad in Whitehead's The Underground Railroad  is that it really was a railroad...and it was really underground.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, Diane. Have you read any of his backlist? I keep meaning to try something from it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.