Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Is Ending a Novel with a Cliffhanger Ever Justifiable?


I saw a post on another blog this morning praising a book whose predecessor had ended in an exciting cliffhanger. The blogger went on to say how much this had made him look forward to the next book in the series, and how happy he was finally to get his hands on this latest one. That got me to thinking about book series and my own reaction to the ones that abruptly end before the climax has been fully resolved - or sometimes even partially resolved. 

I don't particularly mind books with open-ended endings where the author leaves it up to the reader to figure out for himself, based on all that comes before the last page, what is most likely to have happened offstage to the main characters after the written story ends. (I do prefer the author doing the work, however.) But that's not at all the same as having a book end in the kind of cliffhanger I used to see in those old movie serials that were so popular on Saturdays when I was a kid. We all knew this was part 4 out of 13, and we weren't at all worried about our hero.

After all, if the book is part of an established series, we already know that the main character and 99% of the supporting characters are going to survive whatever danger the author is leaving them in. So why the silliness of making readers wait an entire year to resolve the action? By then, details from the previous book are going to be at least a bit hazy to readers, meaning that the new book is likely going to start with a recap of how the previous one ended. Boring.

I even remember one debut novel that without giving any  indication at all that it was the first book in a new series ended in a physical cliffhanger that seemed near-impossible to escape.  So, new readers were tricked into investing several hours reading a story that would not end until the second book was published a year later. And we would only even learn a few months after being left holding the bag that this was only book one of several to follow. I felt cheated and angry enough to avoid the rest of the series to this day - and I doubt I was the only one to feel this way. 

So, what do you guys think? Are cliffhangers at the end of books a good idea? Do you enjoy them and do they make you look forward even more avidly to the next book in a series? Or do they tick you off, the way they tick me off? 

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure whether I've been fortunate or careful but I very rarely come across a cliffhanger end to a book. I know they're quite common because I've read about them on people's blogs and I know it's happened to me once or twice, I just can't remember what the series were. I just remember being annoyed because I didn't know about them in advance. And you're right, that made me feel cheated, like I'd been robbed of a proper ending. Plus, I think it's wrong to try and force a reader to buy your next book in order to find out how the previous book ends. Not right... just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, those are the main things that irritate me. If I'm reading a series, I'm most likely going to read the next one in the series, anyway. So don't get me half the way through a final scene involving all kinds of physical danger, or mental trauma, for that matter, and then decide to leave me hanging for a year. It just seems like a "cheap" way to promote your next book.

      Delete
  2. Sam, one of my favorite series is Berlin Game, Mexico Set, and London Match by Len Deighton. As I recall each of those came to a satisfying conclusion but left several dangling threads to keep the reader coming back. I loved it but would not be happy with a book that ends in a cliffhanger. On another note, I hope that your father is adapting well to his new digs! Best Wishes, Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, it's the more physical cliffhangers that really bug me. I read one last year where the heroine was trapped inside a sinking submarine and the bad guy was in complete control of the situation. She was basically helpless. And the book ended right there. I was not a happy reader at that point.

      Dad is adapting well to his new location, thanks. The thing that I'm finding it difficult to cope with is his rapid and sudden mental decline, and the fact that I can't even visit him. Phone calls seem to add to his confusion.

      Delete
  3. I'm not happy with a cliffhanger, but I do like the book that leaves a few threads dangling as the above commenter mentions. As long as the current episode is wrapped up satisfactorily, I like looking forward to more. Stories that have an overarching narrative, and still manage to complete a story within the book are fine. And fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Jenclair. It's fun to have something in the previous book that is resolved in the new one, but that's usually not an immediate life-or-death issue kind of thing. That's where I draw the line with authors.

      All my favorite series seem to hint at least a bit at one book's ending where the next book may be heading, and I like that. Good storytellers know how to do it right; it's the ones who depend on gimmicks that irritate me into not reading a second book of theirs.

      Delete
  4. No, bro, you'll never find 'cliff hangers'
    in Seventh-Heaven - unless, of course, we
    rappel. Follow us Upstairs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find them so irritating! Especially when I'm not expecting it. Just end the book. If it's good, I promise I'll read the next one. I vote no on all cliffhangers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the ones that simply end in the middle of a scene because those are exactly the same as those silly old western serials aimed at 1950s children. And just about as smart.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.