Sunday, February 21, 2016

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

My mind starts to wander every year as spring approaches, so I'm not surprised that I've had a hard time focusing on Book Chase this week.  I guess what did catch me by surprise is that it happened earlier this year than normal - blame it on the exceptionally warm winter we've had here, I suppose.  

Even with the horrible news that we've lost both Harper Lee and Umberto Eco in the last several days, I could not force myself to sit down and mark those losses for the record here.  I think I'm starting to feel beaten down by the kind of news cycle I see every day from the mainstream media.  Television, radio, and newspaper editors seem to believe that if a potential story is not bad news, politically divisive news, or about some half-brained, self-crowned celebrity, then we don't need to hear about it.  After a while all that negativity wears a person down.

When that happens, I turn to books for escape, but I don't want Book Chase to evolve into just the place where I post book reviews.  I want to talk about all things book related.  I suppose the good news is that I'm easily reaching the goals I've set for number of pages read each day and number of books finished per week.  And I have almost a dozen book reviews in the can that with one final editing will be ready for posting here.  

But now baseball season has started - and I love baseball at every level.  I've been known to pull over and watch Little League games if I drive by one of the parks and see cars in the parking lot.  I watch my grandson play 40 or 50 middle school games a year, and I support the local high school team.  I drive to College Station (90 minutes each way) to watch Texas A&M home games or down inside Loop 610 (45 minutes each way on a good day) to watch the Rice Owls play.  I make several Astros game a season.  In other words, I have it bad.  

And there are only 24 hours in a day.  As much as I love this time of year, I can't imagine how I got it all done before I retired last May.  The lesson?  Time is precious; make the most of it.

4 comments:

  1. The news has been nothing but bad lately. Very sad about Harper Lee and Eco, both such fine authors. Lee wasn't so unexpected but I was surprised by Eco. I hope baseball season supplies you with plenty of uplift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have a case of Spring Fever, Stefanie, a bad one.

      Delete
  2. Found myself planning a road trip to FL from SC to catch a Spring Training game or two. It is indeed that time of year, and Book Chase is a welcome respite from the negativity the threatens to overtake my news feed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I envy your spring training trip. I've never been able to do that myself and it's something I've been thinking about for a long time. I suppose you are a Braves fan? Or not... Thanks for the kind words; I do try to remain positive but sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the bad news that's for real.

      Delete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.