Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Mary Karr: The Art of Memoir



Mary Karr grew up in the same little rathole that I grew up in - at just about the same time - so I have identified with her writing ever since I discovered her via her wonderful The Liars' Club.  I was kind of a fan of memoirs before I read Mary's first book, but her's struck me as so true and so brave that I now appreciate a good memoir more than ever.  And I've always got my eye out for the next good one, especially those written by non-celebrities.  

I'm looking forward to grabbing The Art of Memoir some time this week when I finally get the chance to visit a bookstore or two.  Can't wait.

4 comments:

  1. Terry Gross, of NPR's Fresh Air, interviewed her last week

    http://www.npr.org/2015/09/15/440397728/mary-karr-on-writing-memoirs-no-doubt-ive-gotten-a-million-things-wrong

    I've added it to my massive TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, thanks for that link. I missed that broadcast...so I'm off now to give it a listen. Let me know what you think of the book.

      Delete
  2. Reminds us not only how compelling personal stories can be, but how, in the hands of a master, they can transmute into the highest art.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.