Saturday, May 09, 2015

Books: Some Come In and Some Go Out

Well, it looks like I'm going to break even this week: two books completed and two to-be-read books added to the stacks for a net change of zero books.

I finished Neil Grimmett's The Hoard, a dark thriller set in England about selling weapons of mass destruction to terrorists, and I Wore Babe Ruth's Hat, a realistic look at the social impact of sports in America by David Zang.  Both of these were electronic review copies, and I'll be writing the reviews in a few days.

But...I added one book from the library, Erik Larson's bestseller Dead Wake (about the sinking of the Lusitania) and Shots on the Bridge by Ronnie Greene.  Shots on the Bridge is a nonfiction account of a police shooting that happened on a remote bridge near New Orleans a few days after Hurricane Katrina.  Considering recent current events, that one seems rather timely; it's a review copy I acquired through LibraryThing.  I really need to get on that library book because so many people are in line to read it that I don't want to keep it beyond the 14-day borrowing limit that's on it until the line shortens.


Right now, I'm reading a couple of books.  The first is A Spy Among Friends, Ben Macintyre's rather detailed and complicated story of despicable British spy Kim Philby and the impact he had during World War II and its aftermath.  The second one is Bill Crider's hardcore western called Texas Vigilante: An Ellie Taine Thriller.  I'm tempted to say that this is a bit of light reading to offset the tediousness that can set in after every few chapters of trying to read the Kim Philby book straight through, but Texas Vigilante is not exactly light reading - very intense, indeed.

I seem to be doing everything in pairs this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.