Friday, December 30, 2011

Book Chase 2011 - in Numbers

Being the statistics nerd that I am, I've managed to pull together some end-of-year numbers that reflect the kind of reading year 2011 was for me. I think I was more consistent in my reading this year than I ever have been, with seven months at 10 books read, three with 11 read, and two with 12.  I didn't hit one of my normal "slump" periods in 2011, and that probably means that I chose my reading material more carefully this year then in past years.  I did, however, abandon 9 books again this year, same as in 2010.  I continued to make good use of my public library, and was lucky enough to get my hands on a bunch of really great Advance Reading Copies.  It was a good year.

This, according to the stats, was how it happened:
Number of Books Read - 127

Fiction - 92:
Novels - 90
Short Story Collections - 2

Nonfiction - 35:
Memoirs - 12
Biographies - 5
Literary Criticism - 2
Education - 3
Travel - 2
Sociology - 4
Sports - 1
Science - 1
History - 5

Written by Men - 84
Written by Women - 43
Co-Authored by Both - 0

Audio Books - 15
E-Books - 17
Library Books - 41
Review Copies - 64
Started but Abandoned - 9

Translated: 9
Pages per Day: 93

Length of Average Book Read in 2011 - 306 pages
Total Number of Pages Read (Excluding audio books) = 34,000+ 
I'm excited about moving into the New Year and beginning the sixth year of Book Chase on January 20. I hope to come up with something special to mark my fifth anniversary because that's definitely one I never thought I would be celebrating.  Let's have some fun in 2012; I can't wait to get started.

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Sam! 127 is a terrific total. I'm looking forward to seeing what tantalizing reading treats you wave under my nose in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, Sam! A Happy and healthy New Year to you and much good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Susan and Ted. I hope you both had a nice day yesterday. I spent mine with family at the Houston NFL game - we lost 23-22 but it was still a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you, Sam.
    What an amazing year of reading you have had.... me, I only read 39 books, trying with all my might.
    Please tell me your secret, Evelyn Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, no secret, Cip. I just sort of aim for 100 pages a day to keep me on track, seldom make it, but try to come as close to it as possible. I think I averaged 94 pages a day last year, for example.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.