Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Somebody Jump-Start Me, Please

For some reason I can't pin down, it's taking me longer than usual to get back into regular posting this year. Maybe I just got exceptionally lazy with all the vacation days I saved up for the end of December, but it's not as if I quit reading.  I already, in fact, have two really good novels under my belt for 2012. It's more, I think, a case of being overwhelmed by the number of reviews (5) that I need to catch up on...plus all the great football match-ups that have been televised in the last ten days, eating heavily into my free time.

 I decided against posting specific reading goals for 2012 because I didn't even come close to reaching my 2011 and 2010 goals. I'll just aim, in general terms, for consistency in the number of books I read during the new year and, more importantly, in the quality of my choices - especially when it comes to accepting review copies.  2011 was the best year I can remember in a long time regarding my selection of Advance Reader Copies - with only a dud or two among the 63 I read.

 I do seem to have reached a steady rhythm of sorts in the last three years: 123 books read in 2009, 124 in 2010, and 127 in 2011. I doubt that I could have been that consistent had it been a conscious goal of mine to do so. One more goal that's always in the back of my mind is to make some real progress on my huge TBR stack - but I can't remember the last year I didn't end up with more books in the stack than I started with. Maybe, by signing up for C.B.'s TBR Double Dare challenge, this will be the year I can make it happen.   This is going to be an extremely busy month at the office, but I'm hopeful that I wll find the time for a review or two soon. So, ready or not (and it's obviously "not" in my case, let's get started on 2012.

4 comments:

  1. I think we've all been experiencing what I call the "holiday hum drums". I'm back to work today so feeling a bit more ambitious, now whether that translates into my reading, we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the TBR Double Dare, too. As for your doldrums, I blame the delish food..the football...foodball?

    You'll get it back again and pull 'er out of the Last Chance Texaco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, Kathleen. Getting back to work did help me get back in the writing groove a little and I actually got one review done yesterday evening. Great book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling more energetic this morning, Susan. Maybe I just needed a return to "normality." But I'm still four reviews behind...two from last year, two from this year.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.