Tuesday, January 27, 2009

John Updike Dead at 76

Comes word today that we've lost another of the great ones. This time it's John Updike - who passed away sometime this morning from the lung cancer he's been fighting.

I will always remember him best for his Rabbit books, the series of books published over a thirty-year period that chronicled the ups and downs of Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom, a former high school basketball player just trying to make his way in the world. Most recently, Updike had seen some success with his follow-up to 1984's The Witches of Eastwick, The Widows of Eastwick, his 23rd, and I would think, his last published novel.

Updike, winner of two Pulitzer prizes, was a masterful writer, one of the finest ever produced by this country. It will be strange not to see a new John Updike novel in 2009 because he seldom let a year go by without something new to offer his fans. Rest in peace, Mr. Updike. We'll miss you.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice commentary on Mr. Updike.I'm a big fan of his work, too. He'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Updike's passing is sad, but he left a ton of awesome work. "Immortality is nontransferrable" he said appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. It's heartbreaking to see so many of the great ones passing on but, in a way, they are the lucky ones because they will be remembered for many generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee, he did indeed, and I need to revisit some of that work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always sad when a literary legend leaves us behind.
    When Jose Saramago dies, I think I will wear black for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cip, it's really hard to lose the great ones. I've been a fan of a couple of singers for over 40 years now - and when they go it will leave a huge hole in my world.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.