Monday, November 17, 2008

New Pat Conroy Novel Expected August 2009


Finally - something solid on Pat Conroy's new novel, including its proposed publication date.

From Publishers Weekly comes word that the new one is already being "shopped for film."
The Prince of Tides author's new one, South of Broad, is being shopped for film by Lynn Pleshette (and is due out from the author's longtime publisher, Doubleday, in August 2009). The book, which is set in Charleston and follows an 18-year-old named Leopold Bloom King...
Information about Conroy's next novel has been surprisingly hard to come by for about eighteen months now, ever since rumors first began to surface about its "imminent publication," so I'm happy to see something this concrete coming from a source like Publishers Weekly. The bad news is that we're still at least nine months away from seeing the new book.

10 comments:

  1. I can wait nine months...just having concrete news is music to my ears. Thanks for pointing this out, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how effectively this kind of info has been kept under wraps for so long, Jen. I can't wait - but it's kinda nice to already have a big book to look forward to in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leopold Bloom King...I wonder if it'll be related to Joyce's novel in other ways? Wow, what a pairing!
    Great news...thanks, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book takes place partly in San Francisco with the rest in Charleston. I've read part of it (I'm a friend of Pat's), and I've talked with others who've read the entire manuscript, and the insider opinion is that this one could be his opus. From what I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. I will do a blog entry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news! I'm particularly thrilled with that last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bybee, I'm really curious about the new book, especially after seeing Sean's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean, I can't wait to hear what you have to say in your blog about the new Conroy book. Thanks for the alert - and please holler again when your post is up. Lots of us will be sure to stop by your blog to see what else you have to say about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sam, I wanted to let you know that I gave you a bookworm award on my blog if you're interested in playing along. If not, that's o.k., too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jen. I've replied over on your blog about my October 31st entry that followed that exercise.

    I appreciate the shout...

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.