Sunday, July 07, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (July 8, 2024)

 


As I begin to prepare this update, Hurricane Beryl seems to have finally aimed itself almost directly at the Houston area and should be arriving in another twelve hours or so. That said, this is supposed to be a Category One hurricane, so it probably won't do the kind of damage we've become so accustomed to here in the last few years. My biggest fear at this point is losing power for an extended period of time.

My reading schedule has been a little different than it usually is because of all the driving I've done in the past two weeks. I did manage to finish up one book and read another while on the road: The Big Door Prize by M.O. Walsh and Off the Books by Soma Mei Sheng Frazier. Both books were enjoyable enough, I suppose, but I have mixed feelings about Off the Books. I found Frazier's style a little difficult to get comfortable with, and still haven't figured out how to describe the book accurately. I suspect that a formal review of that one is going to come together rather slowly.

I found this edition of Helen Keller's autobiography in the gift shop of her birthplace and home in Tuscumbia, Alabama last week. I'm one of those more familiar with Keller's girlhood as it was represented in the movies about her life than anything else about her, so it was fascinating to walk the same hallways and see all the rooms that were so important to her during her life - especially I think, the water well pump behind the house where it finally "clicked" that the signs she was feeling in her hand signified the word for "water." I'm curious to see how Keller tells her own story.

The premise of Off the Books is kind of interesting: a recent Dartmouth drop-out comes home to Oakland with not much of a plan for what's next. She finds herself driving a limo for a company that keeps her busy enough until her grandfather buys her a vehicle large enough to cut out the middle man and keep all the cash for herself. After a while, Mei seems to specialize in driving regularly for a cast of shady characters - and then Henry and his huge suitcase come into her world and it all gets even weirder. The writing style is not nearly as interesting as the plot, though, so I'm still digesting my feelings about this one.

Leslie White's Three Years a Traveler is one of those books that seems to have come out of nowhere for me. A few days ago, I had never heard of the book; today, I'm almost done with it and have thoroughly enjoyed accompanying White on her journey of self-discovery as she grieves the loss of both parents to cancer within a few months of each other. White needed a fresh start, and she found one with her decision to purchase an RV and hit the road as a traveling histologist willing to contract her services for a few months at a time in various hospitals all over the U.S.

 I haven't been reading as many books at the same time as I usually do because of my limited reading hours, so I'm wide open to new reading choices for the upcoming days. Here are a few of the ones I'll be choosing from after I finish Three Years a Traveler and Helen Keller's book:


Homegoing is historical fiction covering 300 years of Ghanaian history, and the descendants of Ghanaians who came to America as slaves.


The Dark Wives, scheduled for August 27 publication, is book number 11 in the Vera Stanhope series by Ann Cleeves. I've been holding off on this one, but I feel myself giving in now.



I'm a big fan of the Jane Tennison television shows but I've never read one of Lynda La Plante's Tennison novels. This one kind of fell into my hands recently, and made me wonder what I've been missing.

I'm at least three books behind on reviews I want to write (and hoping that my notes jog my memory in all the right places), so my reading time will still be a little limited this week. Too, it remains to be seen how much disruption the approaching storm will cause. Hurricane Beryl seems very determined to tour the Houston area before she's done, so we'll see how it all turns out. I'm still hoping for a big fizzle from Beryl. Have a great reading week!

14 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed you don't lose power!!! And I love the sound of Three Years a Traveler. I'm always a little envious of people who just pick up like that and go where the road takes them. I wish I was brave enough to do that. At least I can read about their adventures. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three Years a Traveler turned out to be really enjoyable - and informative about RV differences. I've always been kind of tempted by the idea of hitting the road in an RV for an extended period of time, and now I know a whole lot more about the pros and cons of the various types and sizes of RVs. Stuff she learned the hard way by going through seven different models of RV.

      Delete
  2. I hope you didn't lose power & the storm has gone. How much rain did you get? It seems Houston got hit hard again. Argh. Crossing my fingers your place is Okay. I wouldn't mind reading about Helen Keller and Homegoing ... which I always meant to read. I hope you enjoy your reads this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Helen Keller autobiography is interesting but I am struggling a bit with the prose style. She is not always clear (to me) in her choice of words and is very short on details and elaboration. But what a story it is. I found my copy of Homegoing in the bargain rack of a Books-A-Million while on the road trip. I'm looking forward to it because I've heard nothing but good things about it.

      Delete
  3. That is an interesting group of books. I haven't ever read one of Lynda La Plante's books either. I will see what you think of it.

    I am hoping that you haven't been impacted too badly by Beryl. It is really hard to tell how bad it has been from news reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a couple of pages of the La Plante book and I really like the prose style. It reads quickly and clearly, so it should be just the next book for me - especially if the power stays down for even longer. The problem is finding enough light to read a physical book by; it's too hot to read outside and mostly too dark to read inside because we have to keep all the blinds down to try to keep some of the outside heat outside. Day four of no power begins this morning, and the heat index will approach 106 degrees this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Hope things are okay by you with Beryl. I dread hurricane season. I do like the sound of Three Years A Traveller. So many are writing van life memoirs now with mixed results but it sounds like Leslie White's book is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three Years a Traveler is really worth reading, Kathy. You're right...lots of similar books out there. Since I read that one on Kindle, I keep getting recommendations for more books on the same topic.

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you today as Beryl makes landfall... hope all is well. Your assortment of books looks interesting, especially Three Years a Traveler. I remember being impressed with Homegoing... each chapter was interesting enough for a complete novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that about Homegoing. I didn't know what to expect exactly, but I vaguely remembered that it was nominated for the Women's Fiction prize...I think...so I thought it was worth picking up at only $8. Three Years a Traveler is definitely the best thing I've read in the last couple of weeks.

      Delete
  6. Hope the trip was fun! I would love to see Helen Keller's home! Like many little girls, I was a big fan of a book called Helen Keller's Teacher. I am not sure if it was popular here because the Perkins School for the Blind is local (I used to live walking distance from it) or the movie The Miracle Worker had been recent (not that I have seen it) or maybe just the story is so dramatic! I spent 24 hours in Selma to see the famous bridge about 18 months ago but that is the only part of Alabama I have visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constance, the Helen Keller home was a treat. It is very well run, the people who show it are all really nice, and it is so small that they can only take small groups through it at a time. You are allowed to wander upstairs on your own and photography is allowed throughout the house. I was really happy to find the original water pump still in its place behind the main house.

      My grandson is into "old school" music (the stuff I grew up on...ha) so we went through Muscle Shoals to visit the two famous recording studios there. I was surprised that he had learned a lot about Helen Keller in school, and that he remembered a lot of details. (He's severely dyslexic but compensates with an iron-tight memory, and luckily we got him into a school that had experience with his learning disability.)

      Delete
  7. Three Years A Traveler is the one that grabs my attention. This of course will not be any kind of surprise to you....

    I hope you and yours are ok and the storm does no damage in your area. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No surprise there, Cath. I think both of us would love to try that nomadic lifestyle for a while. But for me, I think I've waited too late to tackle those big rigs. Always fun to read about more adventurous souls like this one, though.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.