Hornby has an interesting piece on why he thinks that e-books will never really catch on. Here's a summary of his reasoning, but check out his blog post for the insightful details:
1) Book readers like books, whereas music fans never had much affection for CDs. Vinyl yes, CDs no.Check out the blog for some fun reading.
2) E-book readers have a couple of disadvantages, when compared to mp3 players.
3) We don’t buy many books – seven per person per year, a couple of which, we must assume, are presents for other people.
4) Book-lovers are always late adaptors, and generally suspicious of new technology.
5) The new capabilities of the iPod will make it harder to sell books anyway.
But – and this is the most depressing reason – the truth is that people don’t like reading books much anyway