Friday, March 30, 2007

The Mass Hysteria Continues



OK, does this early release of the dust jacket excite you and make you tremble in anticipation of the big day when the final Harry Potter book is released to the masses? I just don't get the hysteria involved with the Potter books but I surely have to admire the media manipulation that the Potter book publisher accomplishes. It's akin to watching lambs being led to the slaughter.

Edit: As Katrina pointed out in her comment, I've shown the British dust jacket only. Thanks to her link, here's another look at the British version of both the children's cover and the adult cover.



And this is supposedly going to be the dust jacket that will be seen in U.S. and Canadian bookstores.

7 comments:

  1. I think you know my opinion of Harry Potter so I won't get into it, but it's interesting because that's not the picture they sent us at the store. I wonder if this is the UK version?

    I was watching Leno the other night and he said he had a clip of the cover unveiling - when they unveiled it, the title read, "Harry Potter and Who Cares; You Know You're Going to Buy it Anyway." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Sam.
    I have never yet read a Potter book.
    Then again, neither have I read Dan Brown!
    BLASPHEMY!
    What planet am I from?

    [We live in a world where no one reads Solzhenytsyn, anymore!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also one where no one can spell Solzhenitsyn correctly, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the British front cover, not that appealing although it will definatley be in my collection within hours of it going on sale. The adults cover is much more attractive and intriguing.
    see here: http://www.bookgrouponline.com/forum/ (look in childrens section)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, I should have pointed out that this was the British version of the cover. I couldn't find the link I'd seen that showed the version that's going to be sold here.

    I'm with Leno on the "who cares" part, for sure, and I'm not going to be buying it. I tried reading part of the first book but lost interest pretty quickly, although I can understand the appeal of the series to fantasy fans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cip, I'm with you on Potter and Brown. They don't appeal to me at all and I barely have time to read the writers who do appeal to me. Brown is not much of a writer from the few samples I've read of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katrina, thanks for that link. I'd seen the other cover once before but couldn't find a link back to it for some reason.

    Do you collect the British versions of the books as well as the ones sold in the U.S.? I know a couple of collectors who try to get first editions from the U.K. as well as from the U.S. just for the sake of completeness.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.