Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Faster I Read, the Farther Behind I Get

These seem to have accumulated here in just the last two or three weeks. The bottom two are collections of Patricia Highsmith short stories that I picked up on eBay and, from what I can tell, they have most or all of the short stories she wrote. I bought several of these at my local Half-Price Books store for a buck a piece (the Willie Morris book, the Updike one and the two at the top of the stack) and the others came from the Barnes & Noble bargain shelves. So I haven't spent a fortune on these...how was I supposed to resist so many books for so little money?

If the titles are difficult for you to read, just click on the picture for a much larger version of it.

5 comments:

  1. Ah short stories. I totally neglect that genre. Way more than poetry. If it wasn't for the Canada Reads competition, I probably wouldn't have read any last year. Fortunately, two of the five competing books were short story collections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had some difficulty in developing a real appreciation for short stories myself, John. It was the stories of Joyce Carol Oates that finally made me appreciate them the way that they should be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that I don't have an appreciation, it's that I don't do anything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine how you'd feel if you were an incredibly slow reader like me. You'd go out of you mind. I am and I've been living with this affliction my entire life. The list of books that I've bought and haven't read yet and of books that I want to buy and read as soon as possible has gotten so long that, when I think about it, it's just depressing. Falling so behind is hell but working to get caught up is pure heaven. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I wonder if it really matters at what speed a person reads because most avid readers are never satisfied with the number of books they finish...they are always running to the next one, or two, or three. I read fairly quickly but I'll never catch up with my TBR list. It just won't happen. I think we're all in the same boat that way. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.