Sunday, August 04, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (August 4, 2024)

 


It appears that my hoped-for early start on the 2024 Booker Prize longlist is already doomed, so I'm adjusting my reading plan accordingly. My library system, probably the largest in the state of Texas, does not have anywhere near the number of copies yet that are going to be needed to make the hold list reasonable for any of the Booker titles (and three of them are not available at all yet). I'm hoping that changes in the next three or four weeks now that the actual longlist has been announced, but at least for the moment, I'm not expecting any Booker titles until late November or early December at best. 

I finished two books last week (reviews to come soon - I hope), and I have two others in progress.  Finished up were a couple of e-books, The Sherlockian by Graham Moore and Mrs. Plansky's Revenge by Spencer Quinn. The two in progress are these:

I didn't spend a whole lot of time with The Death of the West last week, but what I read continues to fascinate me with its prescience. Buchanan's book is like reading a 20-year-old playbook for the accelerated destruction of Western culture we've experienced in the last two decades. Everything he described in 2002 is what we are living through today. Buchanan was not a prophet...The Death of the West is more a history book that begins in World War I with the failure of Marxism to predict a worker's revolution. It's about the substitution of patient non-violent revolution for the more violent version that never manage to win "hearts and minds" in the long run.

I was lucky already to have a library copy of Canadian-American author Claire Messud's This Strange Eventful History on hand before it was placed on the 2024 Booker Prize longlist or I would have had to wait a long time to get my hands on one. I'm about 180 pages in, and it's not looking to me like this will be a strong contender for the prize. My disappointment is that it is more of a novel about the particulars of one family (based on the author' own), and less a novel about the big historical events the family lived through, than I had hoped.. It's all very personal, with events like WWII's impact on Algeria, the Algerian revolution against French occupation, etc. being completely skipped over as the novel moves from decade to decade. Instead, everything is seen in the aftermath of one or another geographic move the family is forced to make. 

As for the change of plans, I hope to begin both of these this week:

I don't read a lot of True Crime, but I have always been both horrified and fascinated by serial killers. My Men is a novel based on the actual crimes of a Norwegian woman who came to the U.S. in the early 1880s to begin a new life for herself. As it turns out, she may have been the first female serial killer in this country, having killed both her husbands and (it is believed) as many as thirty other men she lured through newspaper ads. The novel places readers very much inside the woman's head - but that might not be a good thing. We'll see.

The Dark Wives, number 11 in Ann Cleeves's Vera Stanhope series, will be published in this country on August 26 so I would have likely been reading it this week anyway despite the Booker Prize fiasco I mentioned earlier. I'm very much taken with Vera, so I always look forward to an addition to the series. If I recall correctly, this is the longest series that Cleeves has ever written by at least two or three books now, so I have to wonder how many more we'll get. I do hope for lots more because, even as well as I know the characters now, I still really enjoy their investigations and experiences together. 

So that's what the next few reading-days look like here. I'm about to go outside to grill burgers for a late lunch, but I'll look forward to visiting a bunch of your blogs this evening to see what everyone's been up to. Have a great week...

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for an interesting post. The four books mentioned all new to me so I enjoyed the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you spot something you might like to read. I'll have more detail on them when I've read - or abandoned - them. One of them is pretty iffy right now and I'm only halfway through it. I hate to give up on it after investing so much time already, but it really needs to save itself soon.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sam, I am on hold for 3 Booker Award nominees but my wait time is 16 to 19 weeks. But as you say once the shortlist comes out people may give up on the long listed books making the line shorter.

    I finally got to read Ann Cleeves. It's a short story called Frozen featuring Vera and it was so well written that I plan to read the first novel in this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like, Kathy, that most libraries were caught a little by surprise by this longlist. Most of these aren't the kind of novel that will have a high demand rate, so I suppose the libraries bought under usual expectations and now have some catching up to do. I hope ours has the budget for a huge increase in the number of copies ordered, but these days I'm not betting on it.

      I read that short story - and have to admit that I was disappointed in it. But that's the good news, because if you liked that story you are going to LOVE the Vera Stanhope series.

      Delete
  3. I like Ann Cleeves books. Hope this new one is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first three chapters, and it's shaping up to be vintage Ann Cleeves. She's done it again, I think.

      Delete
  4. I'm intrigued but rather afraid to read The Death of the West. Same goes for My Men, so I await your reviews with interest. I so admire your stamina as regards the Booker Prize, Sam. Above and beyond the call of duty! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I swear that Death of the West could have been published yesterday it's so much on the mark. Once I got into the reasoning, it makes sense that it was all so predictable - because it started almost 100 years ago and the plan is falling into place now.

      The Booker list is going to be a little frustrating this year because or the library situation, but I'm hoping it all works out in the end. I enjoy reading the books and seeing if I agree with the judges or not...although some of the nominees do mystify me.

      Delete
  5. It's always frustrating when the library doesn't have enough copies of a book you really want to read...or any copies of it at all. Can you suggest purchases at your library? Here's hoping they get more copies of those books soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to the library tomorrow with a list of "suggestions," Lark. lol We'll see how that goes over.

      Delete
  6. That's disappointing about the library situation, but hopefully they will order more copies of at least some of the available titles. My FL has been very amenable to requests in the past, but they've seriously cut back on ebook purchases in the last year or so. I've also read a couple of lukewarm reviews of Messud's latest... very specific to her family as you say, but also maybe hard to follow? I own that one so will choose a time when I can devote the mental energy it might need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Messud book is getting to be more appealing to me at about the 250-page mark, but I still have to remind myself about how the family tree comes together every so often. The segments of the book jump forward in ten-year increments and she doesn't always quickly make sure which characters are being featured after the breaks. Not as good as I had hoped, but I can see why the judges went with it, I think.

      I didn't start on the Booker list this early last year, so I'm kind of hoping that my library was in the same position last year, too. If so, they did a pretty good job of catching themselves up. I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  7. I am prejudiced against serial killer novels; I have read too many that did not appeal to me. And to be in the killer's head is even worse. I hope you enjoy it, though.

    And again you have reminded me to return to the Vera Stanhope series.

    Re the Booker long list, I am sorry about the difficulty you are having finding the books. I hope that improves. I will be getting a copy of Orbital by Samantha Harvey in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Men is certainly the weirdest book I've read this year in format and POV. It's written in some sort of hybrid Third Person/First Person point of view that requires nothing to happen that the woman didn't see for herself. It's not at all gory, just very strange as her mind veers more and more into a sociopathic personality. I did find an old photo of her with three little girls...she has a look on her face that disturbs me more than anything in the book. lol

      Delete
  8. You reminded me to put some more holds on the longlist at the library. It'll probably take a while to get them here too. I'm wondering if the Messud novel is panning out for you? I'm not sure I'm going to get to that one. But I hope to get to James by the end of the month. If I can get to 3 or 4 on the longlist before November, I'll be pleased. Good luck to you getting these copies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already seeing a few people drop out of the long hold lines on two or three of the books, so it might turn out OK in the longer run. Hoping so, anyway.

      I finished the Messud novel this afternoon...and I'd give it 3 of 5 stars at best. It's good...but not exceptional, IMO. I was really disappointed at how it conveniently skipped right over the exact things I wanted so badly to know more about: WWII in Algeria, the Algerian revolt and war agains France in the fifties, and the whole experience of the pied-noir population of those earlier years. It is really just a very literary soap opera.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.