Friday, August 16, 2024

The Dark Wives - Ann Cleeves

 


The series novels of Ann Cleeves, be they the ones featuring DI  Jimmy Perez, the ones featuring DI Vera Stanhope, or those featuring Detective Matthew Venn, all have something in common that is extremely important to the veteran mystery reader.  Readers know that the mystery to be solved by any of these fictional detectives is going to be every bit as intriguing as it is complicated - and readers who figure any of them out before Cleeves makes her big reveal near the end of each novel are to be congratulated. The Dark Wives, book number eleven in Cleeves's Vera Stanhope series, is most certainly no exception to the rule.

It all starts when the body of a young volunteer at a home for troubled teens is found dead outside the building early one morning. When Vera Stanhope arrives on the scene she also learns that a fourteen-year-old resident of the home has not been seen since the previous evening. While others, including Vera's favorite Detective Sergeant, Joe Ashworth, instinctively see the missing girl as suspect number one, Vera is not so sure. Her gut tells her that the young girl is more likely to be victim than villain. Whether the investigation proves her right or not remains to be seen. 

So here we have the makings of another solid Vera Stanhope novel. However, what really makes an Ann Cleeves novel so good these days is the special care that Cleeves uses each time out to further develop the emotional evolution of her recurring series characters. As The Dark Wives opens, Vera is still struggling to cope with the loss of of a female officer whose death she blames herself for. But even now, despite being determined to be more open with her staff - and less rash about placing herself in harm's way without backup - Vera keeps falling back on her old habits. 

Joe Ashworth, personally closer to Vera than anyone else in the department, can't help but notice and worry about Vera's struggles, so when the flashy new investigator Rosie Bell shows up to begin her first day on the team, Joe is not quite sure what to expect. Rosie is very different from her predecessor, so different, in fact, that Joe begins to feel a little threatened by her presence after Vera starts to show her what Joe can't help but feel is special treatment at his own expense. 

As one thread after another is yanked on by the investigators, shocking as the results often are, it all starts to make perfect sense to Vera. But even when she is almost certain that she knows the identity of those behind everything that went wrong at the teen refuge, Vera still has to prove it. So has she learned to share her theories with the rest of the team yet...or will she make the same mistakes she made last time?

11 comments:

  1. I'm only on #9 so I am reading this review but not really reading! I'd better go put it on hold so I can catch up. I will admit I didn't like Vera all that much in the first book but now I am a fan and like those books best of Cleeves' work. I lost interest in the Shetland Series after the character I liked was killed off but I do like the series about Matthew Venn (although he is extremely melancholy so those are very dark).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No spoilers, I promise. Vera has "grown" so much in this series that I can't help but love her now. I'm not sure that her relationship with Joe is entirely healthy or good for either of them, especially Joe, but it did make them seem very real to me as I read this series. I think I like the Shetland series best because of its setting, but Vera seems to be getting better and better these days so it's a close call for me to make. I haven't completely warmed up to Venn yet...I think the religious cult thing is a bit of a turn-off for me.

      Delete
  2. I have a few Ann Cleeves' books to read. Glad this one was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good one, Harvee. Nice solid mystery and some really good character development when it comes to the recurring characters. Even introduces a new character that should shake things up a bit in future books.

      Delete
  3. This does sound like another really good one in this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Lark. Vera is getting old, slowing down a bit, and starting to wonder about her future now for the first time.

      Delete
  4. I just finished reading this one. I love spending time with Vera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Cathy. She's turned into one of the most memorable characters from all the series I read.

      Delete
  5. I'm intrigued by where Vera is in her life right now, and how aging is changing her mental life so much. She'll always be "Vera," but it's kind of fun to see her mellow a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to know that this series keeps up the quality as more books are written. I do like series where the characters mature and change.

    Right now I am reading a Wallander book by Henning Mankell -- The White Lioness. When I am done with that I will be reading Silent Voices, the 4th of the books in the Vera series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those series that just seem to keep getting better and better for me. Now that I feel comfortable that I "know" the characters pretty well, it's fun to try to anticipate their behavior in my head as I read the latest episode. Vera continues to surprise me, and it's been great to see her finally evolve the way she has.

      I keep meaning to move on to another Wallander book. Glad you reminded me because most of them are available in Kindle Unlimited right now, as I recall.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.