Sunday, August 25, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (August 25, 2024)

 


Despite my being totally distracted all week, I did finish two books this past week, Night of the Living Rez by Morgan Talty and A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. Talty's collection of short stories really worked for me and I'll be putting something together on the book relatively soon. And Doyle's Sherlock Holmes opener reminded me again just how skillful a storyteller Doyle was, so I ended up having an enjoyable reading week despite myself.

My biggest time-killer turned out to be my sudden urge to sort through all the e-books I've managed to scatter all over my computer drive over the last several years. It's like they had all been sucked into some immense black hole never to be seen again even though I have around 450 of them on various Kindle readers. So far I've turned up something like another 60 e-books that never made it to a Kindle, and of course have never been read. Some of the files have been corrupted beyond use and won't open, and others have bad metadata associated with the files, so it has been a struggle to figure out if they are even still readable. 

I went down this new rabbit hole after being reminded again that the purchase of an e-book doesn't really mean that you own anything. According to Amazon and others, we are all more or less just leasing e-books for some period of time that they decide is appropriate. There's nothing to keep a company like Amazon from deciding no longer to support a particular book or author and removing all trace of them from their wondrous cloud. I'm not sure what that means if you've already downloaded the book to your device, but I've been led to believe that even if you have, you lose access to the suddenly missing book. Even it that's not the case, you certainly do lose any possibility of downloading if you haven't already done so, or if you have read and removed it earlier, of being able to re-load it. 

So I have spent hours and hours using Calibre software to reformat my hundreds of e-books into the epub format from the Kindle exclusive azw3 format necessary to read them on a Kindle device - which means I have about 450 e-books in two formats now, sometimes three. Not the most efficient use of hard drive space, but this way I'm at least able to save copies of everything on my computer and backup drives - and I'm in control of who owns them, not Amazon.

Doing all of this also allowed me to buy my first Kobo reader (their color model, the Libra) and upload all the original Kindle books to the new Kobo reader. It's kind of fun to see all the covers in color again, along with whatever color was added to the book pages, too. Without having reformatted all the Amazon books that transfer would not have been possible. 

It's not only books, and it's not only Amazon, that can leave you high and dry with no access to something you believed was your property. Just in the last few days, for instance, Redbox pulled the plug on all the digital movie content it had sold over the last few years to customers who thought they owned it forever. Redbox is now gone...and so are the movies. Anyway, that's what ate up so much of my time last week...sorry to ramble on as long as I did about it. Oh, and I'm not done yet with that project.

Coming into this week, I find myself down to the last 75 pages of Pat Buchanan's The Death of the West and well into Huxley's Brave New World along with a couple of others.

Brave New World, written in 1932, is classic dystopian fiction. It's one of those stories in which the entire world has collapsed in on itself without most of its inhabitants even recognizing how bad things are for all but the chosen few. And in this case, people are definitely chosen, even before birth, for the job and societal level they will live at until they die. It's all done via unethical science, brainwashing techniques, censorship, and hiding the truth from everyone. Even those in charge, by now, don't really know how dark their "brave new world" has grown.

Wow, is this good! This is my first time reading anything by Carol O'Connell, and I probably made a poor choice by beginning with book ten of her Mallory series, but I'm really loving The Chalk Girl at almost its halfway point. Kathy Mallory (don't dare ever call her by her first name because that irritates the fire out of this young police detective) is one of the more unique series characters I've run across in a long time. She's a sociopath of sorts with very little time to worry about even faking social skills and she's always on the brink of being fired despite her obvious crime-solving prowess.

S.R. Wilsher's The Collection of Heng Souk is one of those e-books I rescued from oblivivion last week. It was published in 2016, and I have no idea why I have it, but the title of the book made me curious enough to begin reading the first few pages and now I'm hooked. It's set in Hanoi in the present day and is about a young doctor (who is married to a jerk of a police detective) who only learns that she has an elderly uncle after her father dies and leaves a package to be delivered to the man. Heng Souk, the uncle, as it turns out, was an interrogator for the North Vietnam army during the war years. 

I'm turning up so much interesting stuff as I continue my e-book cleanup that I have no idea what I'll be reading this time next week. As frustrating as it has been at times, this project is, I think, finally going to get me to look closely at each of the e-books I "own" and begin finally to read some of the ones that I've overlooked for way too long.

I hope all of you have great reading weeks as the summer months begin to come to a close. We are hoping for some relief from the heat down here, and are kind of holding our breaths as we work our way through the rest of hurricane season. Have fun!

10 comments:

  1. I don't even think about the end of summer until... maybe... October. At least 90 consecutive days here with temperatures over 100. Good thing I like heat, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that, Cathy. It's still pretty hot here, but it's all relative. Even a drop of six or seven degrees of the average temperature has been a little bit of a relief for us. We are still topping out in the low nineties most days but not so many in a row.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of ebooks to sort through! I don't like that Amazon can take back ebooks that you've bought...or that you never really own them. Especially when you do sign up for Kindle unlimited. Then you're just sort of borrowing them. That's one of the reasons I've hesitated to get a Kindle. But having an ereader would be so great when I'm traveling; only I'd probably triple my TBR list overnight. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nasty when it happens, but thankfully enough it hasn't happened often yet. Redbox is probably the biggest company that left digital customers in the lurch. A couple of weeks ago they shut the corporate doors without ensuring that purchasers had any way to get to their movie collections. I had a company go away, too, but they gave us 60 days to ask for our files to be transferred to one of three of their competitors.

      I've just bought a Kobo reader because it doesn't restrict transfer of anything you put on their reader. You actually do own the books. And it's the first color dedicated e-book reader I've tried. I'm loving it so far.

      Delete
  3. It feels like amazon has trapped us. I've purchased so many ebooks (and kindles) over the years and without being technologically savvy enough to reformat them, I'm stuck. It would be wonderful to see all those covers in color on a kobo. Your undertaking is huge, but I'm sure it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an on-going project, JoAnn, but as I go through the books one by one and decide where to put them on the new Kobo it's almost like browsing my physical shelves. I needed something like this to force me to take the time to see exactly what I own when it comes to e-books. The reformatting process is really pretty easy once you get it all set up. I found a really good YouTube video that walked me through what was about a 20-minute set-up process.

      The Kobo colors are a little washed out for the most part, but even that is a huge improvement over the Kindle. I still love my Kindle Scribe, though. I'll be using both of those and putting the other, smaller Kindles away for emergencies.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of work: having two or three e-copies of a book. But I can understand your worries about not owning the e-copies and them being taken away. I still think I might die before Amazon takes the e-books away but who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. But perhaps they'd be sued by all us customers. The real problem for me is that I need to start reading what's on my e-reader more often ... instead of all the books I'm getting from the library each week. I'm a sucker for the sales of e-books I see for $1.99. Good luck with your system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far, having 547 books transferred now to the Kobo reader. At the very least, I have a much better understanding and appreciation for all the e-books I have. I've turned up a few real gems in the process and I'm curious about dozens more of them. That's my main gripe about e-books: they tend to get buried inside the reader never to be seen again.

      It's been very rare so far but Amazon has already pulled that trick on a few readers and authors. They don't bother informing anyone, so it's always too late when it's finally realized by the effected party. I don't know if anyone has tried to sue or not, but it would take some kind of an expensive class action lawsuit to fight all those Amazon lawyers.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a massive project, reformatting all your ebooks, but it sounds very useful. My problem is that I still don't read much in ebook format, although of course I hope to change that.

    I don't know if I have ever read Brave New World. I am interested in dystopian fiction; I will wait and see what you have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not done with that e-book project even though I've formatted and moved almost 700 books to my Kobo reader now. I start to wonder why I'm doing it because there's no chance in the world that I'll ever read even half of those. Too much eye-candy and other book distractions out there to ever let that happen.

      Brave New World is both better and worse than I hoped it would be. But I easily understand why it's such a classic lit book. Still trying to figure out how to handle it because I'm certainly not capable of doing a "real" review of something like that one.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.