Monday, May 27, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (May 27, 2024)

 


After finishing two novels last week (Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler and Dad Camp by Evan S. Porter), I begin the new week with three books in progress. I set Matt Haig's The Humans aside all of last week, but I'm looking forward to reading it this week, am almost halfway through Shannon Reed's Why We Read, and am completely taken with Dennis Lehane's 2023 novel Small Mercies. Of all five books I've just mentioned, I suspect that Small Mercies is going to prove to be the best of the lot.

I have mixed emotions about Why We Read at the book's halfway point. This is a collection of short essays about readers, how they became readers, and why reading is so important to so many of us. But still, it's not what I thought it would be. It often tries, I think, to be too cute and clever for its own good, even to the point of making me question at one point whether or not I would be finishing it. Too, I did not expect a memoir, but that's what Reed seems to be going for here as much as anything else - and it's not a particularly insightful memoir, at that. Still, there are some gems of insights to be mined here if only I'm patient enough to keep digging...so here I stand, shovel in hand, hoping to finish Why I Read this week.

I bought Small Mercies almost a year ago when I caught it marked down to 50% of retail not too long after it was first published, and I'm just now finally getting to it. The novel is set in 1974 Boston during the period in which Boston is about to begin bussing students in order to desegregate the city's schools. Mary Pat Fennessy, a lifetime Southie resident, is looking for her daughter who disappeared on the same night that a young black man was found dead nearby. It doesn't seem likely that the two events are connected, but Mary Pat starts asking the wrong people the wrong questions, and if she keeps it up much longer the Irish mob is going to have to shut her up. The casual racism in this story is shocking by today's standards, but it reminds me that this was the norm just fifty years ago.  

Right now, I'm limiting myself to two or three active books at a time, way down from the seven or eight I usually have going at the same time, because I'm curious as to how that might affect my comprehension and overall speed. Just a little experiment to see which style fits me best at this age. But if I do at least get to begin one or two new books this week, these are among the most likely candidates to be chosen:




It's always the wildcards, though, that make reading so much fun for me, and I wonder which ones will come out of nowhere this week to claim a spot. Have a great week, everyone, have fun.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Had a quiet Memorial Day celebration along with some enjoyable reading all the way around. Have a good one.

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to read Dennis Lehane for years! Your description of Small Mercies reminds me of the excellent nonfiction title about the Boston busing crisis, Common Ground by J. Anthony Lucas. It won both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award back in the late 1980s and I probably read it a few years after that. At the time it was one of the best nonfictions works I'd ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Lucas book you mention here, but that period with all of its associated violence and nastiness is one that still shocks me sometimes. We in the South have been conditioned by the media to believe that we were the only ones who fought school desegregation. Reading about what happened in Boston is pretty sobering, even today.

      Lehane is a special kind of writer. I've read several of his novels, probably most of them, and the only one I didn't much care for was The Given Day, a long novel about the Boston police strikes. Lehane uses that Boston setting and it's various neighborhoods to perfection in his work.

      Delete
  3. I really liked Small Mercies last year. Mary Pat is quite a character! I thought the book was terrific and I hope you like it too. It's rough for sure! Just like Lehane likes it. lol. I hope it saves your week of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is very good. I remember it got a lot of buzz when published, but you never know if that means much in reality. This time the buzz was well deserved.

      Delete
  4. Why We Read is just all over the place. The second 100 pages or so have tended to be more serious than the first 100, but it's still very much one reader's memoir. Overall, I'm feeling better about finishing it now for sure. It makes some good observations now and then...I especially enjoyed her feelings about reading series books...so I'll at least have as many positive things to say about it as negative ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read 2 or 3 books by Dennis Lehane but all before I was blogging. I found them much too disturbing and haven't tried his books again. If I had less books I want to read I might be inspired to try again, because he has such a good reputation.

    We have started watching Resident Alien and it does have definite similarities to The Humans. We have only watched the first two episodes so I will have to see where it goes. And I like the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about it; Lehane novels are just about as dark as they come, this one included. This is one of his most realistic ones, so you do really feel that darkness and resignation so prominent in the characters and setting. Some of his earlier books like his crime series and the standalone Shutter Island are just as dark but because they are not as realistic, I didn't feel that way about them. This is definitely my favorite of his (it's the eleventh one I've read).

      I'm about two-thirds of the way through The Humans right now and have just finished the part of the book where the alien has learned to care for people and family, something he's not experienced before. I'm still struck by the similarities of the two plots and wonder how the writers could not have been aware of each other at some point. (I think that the Haig book came first, but I'm not certain about that.)

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.